Tynwald Day 2021

Amadeus

8 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

And bring a secure till, and electricity supply to keep loads of cash in in a field amongst thousands of people.

Wouldn’t be safe to have a cash box or pocket full of cash that people see you dipping into with so many people milling about and stand holders trying to talk, sell, restock and keep an eye on the takings.

Yeah because stall holders have never had to do that in the history of outdoor selling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

And bring a secure till, and electricity supply to keep loads of cash in in a field amongst thousands of people.

Wouldn’t be safe to have a cash box or pocket full of cash that people see you dipping into with so many people milling about and stand holders trying to talk, sell, restock and keep an eye on the takings.

MF straw poll.  Who has cash on their person right now?

Not me. Never do.  Don’t even take a wallet out these days.

And pre electronic payment  how many Tynwald Day traders had their takings nicked?

Sounds a bit snowflakey to me.

Re the poll I have cash on my person right now. Loadsamoney!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Yeah because stall holders have never had to do that in the history of outdoor selling. 

Correct.  In the past they “had” to because there wasn’t an alternative.

Now there is, so they rightly expect people to utilise it and make everyone’s lives easier.

Not having the mobile cell there yesterday is inexcusable unless it is temporarily out of action or something.

A decent mobile signal is expected these days, people don’t arrange to “meet at 2 under the Woolies clock” anymore.  They arrange to text or call when they arrive 

• Like 1

I still like cash. Always have a good few 20's handy and still when last on holiday go with taking a load due to exchange rates and gettiing more for £50's from money exchanges than from Bank or cash points. It is really handy though with debit swipe cards . Dont do credit cards ! Cash is still king in my life 😂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oooohtony said:

Correct.  In the past they “had” to because there wasn’t an alternative.

Now there is, so they rightly expect people to utilise it and make everyone’s lives easier.

Not having the mobile cell there yesterday is inexcusable unless it is temporarily out of action or something.

A decent mobile signal is expected these days, people don’t arrange to “meet at 2 under the Woolies clock” anymore.  They arrange to text or call when they arrive 

Manx Telecom a few years ago, their coverage was diabolical during TT week, it couldn’t handle lots of calls or data after the racing. Personally I think MT do not care, aren’t interested in their customers only their patrons/shareholders. Doing things on the cheap. More and more traders are using 3G card payment readers, as it’s free 3G sim and no data charges. Convienent and easy to use. Granted some traders prefer cash handling - I wonder if the Treasury Tax snoops were out checking?