How Deep is your Love or How Deep are your Pockets?

Posted (edited)

The Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece has an article about the new Bee Gees Statue costing £170,000 on the promenade  - to coin the phrase as said by David Christian ‘You can’t put a price tag’. Douglas Corpy wonderful at spending ratepayers cash on useless things. Nice to know that David Christian is good with money. 

Tragedy! 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 3

To be honest I don't begrudge the money for the statue.

It's paying for that flippin' self - congratulatory ego busting legacy defining -I'm so important- plaque that I really object to. If the people of Doulas paid for it, then that is what it should say. Naming the councillors like that adds no value to their services. I hope one or two objected to being named like this. I though better of the council than this.

My beef is that every day people have worked tirelessly in some case for the benefit of others, and not just recently and little mention if any is made of their contributions. 

Where is the plaque for example to the Quines down South who ran their own voluntary ambulance etc There are many, many other examples as people well know of.

Frankly, in my opinion, this is a name and shame issue.

• Like 12

39 minutes ago, Apple said:

I hope one or two objected to being named like this.

Second hand info, but I believe some of the names on that list objected to the statue itself, and were not made aware of the plaque at all.

56 minutes ago, Apple said:

Where is the plaque for example to the Quines down South who ran their own voluntary ambulance etc There are many, many other examples as people well know of.

Well the names are on the plaque. 

I think there’s a plaque to Ken Quine in the car park by the bus depot in Port Erin 

• Like 1

I think it is very good.

I would have incorporated  the famous chewing gum  machine though, and made a kind of parody on the three wise men.

2141525398_BeegGeeschewinggummachine001.jpg.02b18b22d6f3c442471ffd2277a1b835.jpg

1047705866_120kchewinggummachine01.jpg.65a7020abeef662038b2ee1dd4fb324f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

i will be waiting for the day Doris fresh off the cruise completely bewildered by the ovalabout, multicoloured concrete and 14 crossings on the prom rams her mobility assistance vehicle into Robin Gibbs nuts.

Adding to the pile of scrap where the diesel loco, chewing gum machine and other items await melting down.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Barlow said:

I think it is very good.

I would have incorporated  the famous chewing gum  machine though, and made a kind of parody on the three wise men.

2141525398_BeegGeeschewinggummachine001.jpg.02b18b22d6f3c442471ffd2277a1b835.jpg

1047705866_120kchewinggummachine01.jpg.65a7020abeef662038b2ee1dd4fb324f.jpg

I’m surprised that a statue hasn’t been commissioned for the retirement of its long standing leader, Mr Douglas, David Christian JP MBE. I’m sure the ratepayers of Douglas will happily contribute, after all in the words of Mr Christian, ‘you can’t put a price tag’.

3 hours ago, The Chief said:

i will be waiting for the day Doris fresh off the cruise completely bewildered by the ovalabout, multicoloured concrete and 14 crossings on the prom rams her mobility assistance vehicle into Robin Gibbs nuts.

It'll be because Doris is stoned from her homegrown to help with her MS.  The evil, violent dangerous bitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I’m surprised that a statue hasn’t been commissioned for the retirement of its long standing leader, Mr Douglas, David Christian JP MBE. I’m sure the ratepayers of Douglas will happily contribute, after all in the words of Mr Christian, ‘you can’t put a price tag’.

Well he is Mr Douglas really. David has the car number plate D1 MAN, but I think that number would be better on the Douglas Mayoral car. Was it originally on that car?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Well he is Mr Douglas really. David has the car number plate D1 MAN, but I think that number would be better on the Douglas Mayoral car. Was it originally on that car?

You mean Dim an. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, enbee said:

Would that be the same Bee Gees that claimed in their autobiography to have been born in Manchester?  As if being born in Douglas was something to be ashamed of.

Most youngsters couldn’t even tell you who the Bee Gees are, a young girl I worked with (perhaps 19/20) thought the Monkees were the Beatles and was quite adamant about it too. Mind you, she’d never heard of Adam Ant either................

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Apple said:

To be honest I don't begrudge the money for the statue.

It's paying for that flippin' self - congratulatory ego busting legacy defining -I'm so important- plaque that I really object to. If the people of Doulas paid for it, then that is what it should say. Naming the councillors like that adds no value to their services. I hope one or two objected to being named like this. I though better of the council than this.

My beef is that every day people have worked tirelessly in some case for the benefit of others, and not just recently and little mention if any is made of their contributions. 

To be honest we can all say I think X is more worthy than Y. There will never be a consensus.