Onchan Velodrome

Julie Edge MHK has really been giving it loads in her re-election campaign, pushing for Onchan Park to be turned into a multi purpose facility, according to 3fm report published 13/7/2021.  She further comments that a velodrome would celebrate Manx Champions. Very Parochial and Local. If done right perhaps off island cyclists would use the facility?

Why should it celebrate Manx Champions? Let’s be brutally honest every large scale infrastructure scheme the island conducts ends up over budget, over the delivery time, poorly constructed and bad value for money. 

Is this a Julie Edge re-election gimmick, or are Onchan Commissioners in on the Act? What’s Rob Callister’s opinion? He is in charge of Tourism. Just because Braddan Commissioners are building a sporting facility doesn’t also mean that Onchan needs the same.

If the island was awash with money, then great it would be a good sporting addition.In reality, Onchan not really bothered though with sporting facilities. They had all that unpleasantness over squash courts. 

If the velodrome ever got off the ground, you would have idiots arguing over the name. According to the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece today, some are calling for the old Douglas to Peel railway line to be called ‘Cavendish Way’. 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Is this a Julie Edge re-election gimmick, or are Onchan Commissioners in on the Act?

It's not just Julie Edge, they all seem to be at it, making 'suggestions' that get them in the media. I understand it but it is beginning to look at bit desperate. Anyway, how are Onchan going to deal with this when supposedly the Councillors are too busy trying to get a new  CEO ? Bizarre, is what is going on there.

• Thanks 1

Probably not such a bad suggestion considering our cycling pedigree. 

The implementation and building of it would however be completely screwed up by which ever authority took responsibility. 

It would definitely get used, just whether there would be enough use to justify the cost etc (like most footfall dependent things on the Island).

I've always thought that the banked raceway at the Onchan stadium could be (relatively) cheaply be turned into a Velodrome. 

20 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Didn't it stop being used for cycling with the introduction of ironwork and barriers for the stockcars on the inner track?

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Didn't it stop being used for cycling with the introduction of ironwork and barriers for the stockcars on the inner track?

Yes.  There have been calls to reinstate the stadium for cyclists in the past, but the Commissioners have always resisted on the grounds that cycling is a niche minority sport that no one else in the world is interested in.  Unlike stock cars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

26 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes.  There have been calls to reinstate the stadium for cyclists in the past, but the Commissioners have always resisted on the grounds that cycling is a niche minority sport that no one else in the world is interested in.  Unlike stock cars.

I've always wondered what made them destroy the velodrome up there. Stock cars could have a track almost anywhere, crappy sport in my opinion and responsible for the loss of some real classic cars in the 70s!

Now they have built a garage for a 'Monster Truck' over the velodrome banking, it just goes to show the quality of local government we have on the island! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Julie Edge MHK has really been giving it loads in her re-election campaign, pushing for Onchan Park to be turned into a multi purpose facility, according to 3fm report published 13/7/2021.  She further comments that a velodrome would celebrate Manx Champions. Very Parochial and Local. If done right perhaps off island cyclists would use the facility?

Why should it celebrate Manx Champions? Let’s be brutally honest every large scale infrastructure scheme the island conducts ends up over budget, over the delivery time, poorly constructed and bad value for money. 

Is this a Julie Edge re-election gimmick, or are Onchan Commissioners in on the Act? What’s Rob Callister’s opinion? He is in charge of Tourism. Just because Braddan Commissioners are building a sporting facility doesn’t also mean that Onchan needs the same.

If the island was awash with money, then great it would be a good sporting addition.In reality, Onchan not really bothered though with sporting facilities. They had all that unpleasantness over squash courts. 

If the velodrome ever got off the ground, you would have idiots arguing over the name. According to the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece today, some are calling for the old Douglas to Peel railway line to be called ‘Cavendish Way’. 

Is there any topic that you don't moan and whine on about?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

IIRC, all the ironwork etc was put in long after they stopped using it as a velodrome. For years, only the small go karts were using the track with Onchan AFC playing their home games there

I've said it before when it comes to election time I'll be looking at what the candidates in my area have achieved in the past 5 years rather than what they would like to do. In my humble opinion the island has got worse in the past 5 years under this government and that was before covid hit. The liklihood of me voting for either of my current mhks is low but like I say I'll do some research first

• Like 2