Temperature

Ramseyboi

So after much flapping and complaining about how HOT it was the little portable digital heating stat showed 22c.  Which is apparently unbearable.

I regularly find it set to 24c in the winter when it’s cold outside.

The difference being last night at 22 she is hot and dressed in very little.  In winter at 25 she is cold and wearing enough clothes to traverse a mountain.

Is there something going on I don’t understand? Some sort of trick the body is playing because it’s wet and dark in winter? Is it humidity?

I don’t get it ad it happens on the car as well.  Full climate control set to 16c when the sun is out and in a summer dress (her, not me) and 26 with hat and gloves in the winter?

I can barely breathe in the car or house all winter as it’s so hot, and all summer she complains it’s too hot when I am perfectly comfortable!

I shall refrain from passing comment on the thermostatic control of the AC unit in the large office I share with a broad cross section of society for fear of what might ensue.

• Haha 2

No, in winter our thermostat is set somewhere between 18.5-20 degrees, we have a humidity meter and it’s typically around 50-60%, currently our living room is 25.2 degrees at 65%, it does start to get rather stuffy as the humidity increases, I think yesterday evening it was 25 degrees at 70%.

3 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

So after much flapping and complaining about how HOT it was the little portable digital heating stat showed 22c.  Which is apparently unbearable.

I regularly find it set to 24c in the winter when it’s cold outside.

The difference being last night at 22 she is hot and dressed in very little.  In winter at 25 she is cold and wearing enough clothes to traverse a mountain.

Is there something going on I don’t understand? Some sort of trick the body is playing because it’s wet and dark in winter? Is it humidity?

I don’t get it ad it happens on the car as well.  Full climate control set to 16c when the sun is out and in a summer dress (her, not me) and 26 with hat and gloves in the winter?

I can barely breathe in the car or house all winter as it’s so hot, and all summer she complains it’s too hot when I am perfectly comfortable!

I shall refrain from passing comment on the thermostatic control of the AC unit in the large office I share with a broad cross section of society for fear of what might ensue.

First off, has your wife had a recent thyroid function test.

Second, there’s a lot more to heat than a thermostat. The soil that was freezing all winter is now warm, even more so due to the lack of rain. The river water is considerably warmer as is the sea, although it doesn’t reach its highest temperature till late September early October.  The sun is hitting concrete, glass, metal and tarmac and every surface is roasting. 

The cumulative effect is that it’s roasting.  A lot more roasting than is in in your living room in December with the thermostat at twenty four degrees, when outside everything is exactly the opposite of roasting.

Science. Innit. 

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

First off, has your wife had a recent thyroid function test.

Second, there’s a lot more to heat than a thermostat. The soil that was freezing all winter is now warm, even more so due to the lack of rain. The river water is considerably warmer as is the sea, although it doesn’t reach its highest temperature till late September early October.  The sun is hitting concrete, glass, metal and tarmac and every surface is roasting. 

The cumulative effect is that it’s roasting.  A lot more roasting than is in in your living room in December with the thermostat at twenty four degrees, when outside everything is exactly the opposite of roasting.

Science. Innit. 

But if the car is set to a temperature it makes absolutely no difference what is going on outside.  A thermometer in the car would read the same temp in December or on the three days a year it’s warm here.

So why have it at 16 now and 23 in December?

Makes no sense.  Especially when you factor in the extra clothes?

It appears that only males have had millions of years to evolve and adapt to a 7c temperature change.  

It's the only possible explanation I can think of. 

Just thank god you don't have aircon at home as that's a whole other battlefield.

The bitching, rage and violence I see in the office over the control of the aircon is mindblowing.  Especially when I am unable to notice any difference in the temperature after all of the tampering. 

Although my South African wife is adamant that 25c on the IOM is like 35c in SA!  Go figure... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

But if the car is set to a temperature it makes absolutely no difference what is going on outside.  A thermometer in the car would read the same temp in December or on the three days a year it’s warm here.

So why have it at 16 now and 23 in December?

Makes no sense.  Especially when you factor in the extra clothes?

Well, aside from the seats being warm and radiating heat back out, the carpets, door cards etc. The heat in the bodywork has to go somewhere.

Cars with digital climate control actually have sunload sensors, to try and compensate somewhat for the heat radiating in through the windows too.