Boat on fire in Douglas bay

Amadeus

24 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Surely, just a decent pump would do it?

They will buy a pump big enough to drain Douglas bay so the fire truck can just drive there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

What an odd collection of quotes. 

I was once told that one of the worst things is a fire on a boat. 

Glad all are OK. 

Indeed, no idea where the quotes came from!  Wonder if it was a disposable barbeque?:ph34r:

15 hours ago, 2112 said:

That’s wonderful for the environment, especially as the island wishes to be world leaders in the fight against climate change, and protecting our Biosphere. 

17 hours ago, Amadeus said:

2FA2A53D-0DBE-40C3-9900-70CE6A4F0EAA.jpeg

Such as sight was not uncommon in Douglas. Sometimes quite a few times a day:

755713635_IsleofManSteamerspollutionDouglas01.jpg.e25d5a1e0c1ac0f29d699fe168657060.jpg590472410_SteamerpollutionIOMdouglas03.thumb.jpg.10ed0f5681c21acafbd6dac7d045dacd.jpg

Yesterday the wind was blowing more-or-less from the south (see photos) but the smell of the fumes was detectable on Loch Prom.

Burning boat is nasty stuff.

Edited by Barlow
Grammar ('were' to 'was')

5 hours ago, Barlow said:

Yesterday the wind was blowing more-or-less from the south (see photos) but the smell of the fumes were detectable on Loch Prom.

Burning boat is nasty stuff.

I wonder if the powers that be will be bringing any action against the boat owner for polluting the environment? Government is red hot at present in taking action, and chasing monies for the exchequer.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I wonder if the powers that be will be bringing any action against the boat owner for polluting the environment? Government is red hot at present in taking action, and chasing monies for the exchequer.

Maybe if the owner deliberately decided to scuttle his own boat.

How many owners of private or commercial properties suffering the same fate have faced such action?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Indeed, and that's why our ancestors died of consumption and respiratory disease (and lots of other nasty things).

3 hours ago, display name said:

They still do.

To be fair, back in the day there were adverts in the Manx papers (and no doubt elsewhere in the world) that  told us cigarettes were "good for your throat" and "clinically proven to get rid of coughs"

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Well they don’t care about air pollution and I don’t think they’ll be particularly bothered about a boat catching fire. The cement dust cloud spreading all over Ramsey beach didn’t even get a mention on any of the local news outlets (to the best of my knowledge) , despite them sectioning off a site of SSSI.

59 minutes ago, Barlow said:

To be fair, back in the day there were adverts in the Manx papers (and no doubt elsewhere in the world) that  told us cigarettes were "good for your throat" and "clinically proven to get rid of coughs"

Technically,they can help towards getting rid of a cough for some

3 hours ago, display name said:

Technically,they can help towards getting rid of a cough for some

Isle of Man Examiner 1930: "The ONLY cigarettes made specially to prevent sore throats"

1155784937_Sorethroats01.thumb.png.de58ccc4eec2e26732f06b84a8015ef7.png

This is from a 1946 Isle of Man Examiner:

1069340436_19461025IMEp10CravenAadvert.jpg.15635cd746a5bb084c6061fcb45c777c.jpg

Here's a notice of profit. That is a hefty sum in 1934:

1913946461_IsleofManExaminer7thDecember1934CravenA.png.4e4adf756e2a0ef2cd86a582a8a38efd.png

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2