Boat on fire in Douglas bay

Amadeus

1 hour ago, display name said:

Exactly. Guaranteed to never suffer a cough again

Heavy smokers are often such seemingly jolly people. Rather than cough all the time, they will hide their throat clearing in a laugh, and so the most insignificant and unfunny comments (from them or whoever they are talking to) becomes worthy of a "huh, huh, huhhh" (ie "cough, cough, cough"). Most often found in pubs but they are everywhere.

I've got post nasal drip which causes me to half cough quite a lot, I prefered my smokers cough, at least that was real not this pathetic chrr chrr thing thats neither cough nor growl.

27 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Some evidence that smokers are less likely to get Covid due to nicotine hindering the virus being able enter the cells.  However, if they do get it, more likely to be serious. 

That's been debunked after several authors of the study which claimed smoking conferred some protection against covid were found to have financial links to the tobacco industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/apr/22/scientific-paper-claiming-smokers-less-likely-to-acquire-covid-retracted-over-tobacco-industry-links 

Edited by Zarley
Added link
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Zarley said:

That's been debunked after several authors of the study which claimed smoking conferred some protection against covid were found to have financial links to the tobacco industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/apr/22/scientific-paper-claiming-smokers-less-likely-to-acquire-covid-retracted-over-tobacco-industry-links 

Hence why I said 'some'.  I'd treat it as more 'interesting possibility' rather than 100% peer reviewed research at the moment. 

Although it's still referred in the British Heart Foundation website and there's more than one study/author stating this.  As with much of this covid 'research' on some of the more esoteric elements, loads of it is contradictory and I don't think we will have completely reliable studies and results for some time. 

As per this, every article you find that says one thing, there will be another that states the complete opposite. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2bees said:

I've got post nasal drip which causes me to half cough quite a lot, I prefered my smokers cough, at least that was real not this pathetic chrr chrr thing thats neither cough nor growl.

Wheat. Nothing to do with you being smoke-free.

There's wheat in cake. There's none in kale.