Government vs private industry

Ramseyboi

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

Would anyone have. a rough idea how much taking out a gas boiler and putting in a heat pump system cost please?

You won't see change from ten big ones possibly more, air or ground source?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Apple said:

Would anyone have. a rough idea how much taking out a gas boiler and putting in a heat pump system cost please?

So many variables it is impossible to answer with the info provided

53 minutes ago, Apple said:

£10-£12K plus probably the need to replace pipework for radiators. A key point is whether the MUA infrastructure is up to it. They may allow 1 or 2 installations but there's only limited places where they can be wholesale

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, english zloty said:

£10-£12K plus probably the need to replace pipework for radiators. A key point is whether the MUA infrastructure is up to it. They may allow 1 or 2 installations but there's only limited places where they can be wholesale

Not to mention the need to dig up most of your garden if going ground source.

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Not to mention the need to dig up most of your garden if going ground source.

Yep false stories everywhere at present. A few folk looking to make a lot of money at the expense of others. The Manx Energy Certificate will be an excuse to print money. Get LED bulbs throughout your home. Profit. Get decent loft insulation. Profit. Easy.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, english zloty said:

The are lots of heat pumps on the Island. They're basically reverse fridges.

10 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

My oil boiler was a lot more expensive to run than the air source heat pump. Even with the low cost of oil. I'll be adding solar on soon to reduce the costs even further. 

Gas users would make an even greater saving. 

You go on the comfy heat package which reduces of electric between 2 and 4 and after midnight till 6. Hot water is heated up over night and boosted between 2 and 4 before I get home from work. All my utilities are on a timer to run either overnight or between 2 and 4. Saves a fortune and no stinking oil tank and boiler anymore.

You do have to insulate your house to a high level, which is a large upfront cost but once it's done it's done no ongoing cost. Would definitely recommend.

What about gas for  cooking? . I hate electric / induction hobs.