Government vs private industry

Ramseyboi

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

And for those in the private sector still getting over the financial effects of life on Covid benefits, here's the outcome of the latest public sector pay negotiations.

PSC Pay 2021 Summary Agreement and Ballot Result.pdf 91.04 kB · 11 downloads

The 1% was factored in at the last budget in April; the £500 will be expensive but is a one off payment so won't have any ongoing costs eg pension; and the rest is much of the muchness.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 11:19 PM, Apple said:

Private  hospital care on the island needs moving out of Nobles hospital to ensure the facilities and the resources the public paid for remain at their call when needed. 

Well whatever you think of private health (and I am not a big supporter ) if there are resources at Nobles temporarily available, not required for use by the NHS, for the private sector for which the NHS can charge ( at a hefty premium) then why not?

That said I can’t imagine many such occasions.

6 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well whatever you think of private health (and I am not a big supporter ) if there are resources at Nobles temporarily available, not required for use by the NHS, for the private sector for which the NHS can charge ( at a hefty premium) then why not?

That said I can’t imagine many such occasions.

No problem with private health care at all. In fact, quite the opposite. But only when the facilities, resources and administrative personnel are operating outside of NHS establishments.

In Nobles NHS staff who have been involved in private patient care are still paid at their basic NHS rates but some are expected to perform as if employed privately.

I also don't believe the hidden costs for procedures is fully charged to private patients - X-rays and pathology tests are - but I am dubious about issues such as portering, equipment pack sterilisation, admin for case notes, laundry etc.

The other aspect not really reflected in charges I believe are the historical costs (maybe a new concept I don't know) of the facilities itself. It was built using public money, maintained by it and without that investment in the first place private patients use would not be possible.  Then the public can have their car park back. 😀

Private treatment is easier to cost off site and I hear there are several facilities being fashioned in Douglas. 

16 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

CoMin is promoting the development of private health care/treatment facilities on the island?

I don't think CoMin have anything to do with it but yes, this is what I am hearing. 

Few questions in connection with looking after visitors who may want to come to IOM with electric cars:

- how many charging points?

- where are they situated, is there a reference map available?

- what are the costs of using them?

- which hotels/rentals supply them for use by their guests?

- is charging available on the Steam Packet boats or dockside?

- are there any concrete plans by Government or private sector to exponentially increase number of points available?

Asking for a friend…

2 minutes ago, Dunroamin said:

Few questions in connection with looking after visitors who may want to come to IOM with electric cars:

- how many charging points?

- where are they situated, is there a reference map available?

- what are the costs of using them?

- which hotels/rentals supply them for use by their guests?

- is charging available on the Steam Packet boats or dockside?

- are there any concrete plans by Government or private sector to exponentially increase number of points available?

Asking for a friend…

Teach your friend Google, then teach them to type: electric charging points isle of man. And: pod points isle of man

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your helpful response but it does not assist greatly -

- the map is hard to read as being too small on an IPhone and surely most people will be using that form of device to find one!

- Pod Points show only 20 points around the IOM of which only one is at an hotel.

- none are shown on IOMSPco boats

- cannot find anywhere plans to increase number of charge points for visitors.

- a lot are inconvenient to visitors being in car parks nowhere near hotels!

My friend is adept at Google and the use of the internet but does try not to be too clever for his own boots. He sends his sincere thanks to you for taking the time to respond though….

3 minutes ago, Dunroamin said:

- the map is hard to read as being too small on an IPhone and surely most people will be using that form of device to find one!

- Pod Points show only 20 points around the IOM of which only one is at an hotel.

My friend is adept at Google and the use of the internet but does try not to be too clever for his own boots. He sends his sincere thanks to you for taking the time to respond though….

There aren’t many which is why electric car sales are poor, Jackson’s motors have installed 3 , Don’t know any hotels will have them due to cost 

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

There aren’t many which is why electric car sales are poor, Jackson’s motors have installed 3 , Don’t know any hotels will have them due to cost 

Thank you! Surely this is a serious issue that Government and the private sector need to get together and address with U.K. targets for the use of EV’s over the next decade? 

4 minutes ago, Dunroamin said:

Thank you! Surely this is a serious issue that Government and the private sector need to get together and address with U.K. targets for the use of EV’s over the next decade? 

This is the isle of man,

We don't follow convention/ best policy because of either

A) We cant be arsed 

B) There is a boat in the morning

C) We don't understand the problem

D) All of the above

37 minutes ago, Dunroamin said:

Image how much the SP would charge given the cost of a bacon bap onboard!