Manx newbies

Jabd

Hi there!

So it looks like my husband and I will be moving to the Isle of Man in the next couple of months for work.

we are SUPER EXCITED about the move but as we know very little about the island, we are looking for a bit of advice…

can anyone recommend the best mobile network? Obviously we are looking for a good balance between coverage and affordability… (the same goes for internet to)

we think we know the area we would like to settle, but any advice on people’s favourite areas would be very much appreciated! Any restaurants, pubs, etc people could recommend… things to do… anything at all!

we’d really appreciate the advice and are looking forward to making new friends! 

• Like 1

There's little to choose between mobile suppliers really, I use Manx Telecom but the only other choice is Sure. Broadband, you are stuck with Manx Telecom.

I think where you settle is really a matter of personal preference. I would struggle to live outside of the Douglas area but some locals can't stand the place? 

There's plenty of restaurants but no Michelin stars, although there are some good ones. 

It's generally an outdoors sort of place but most interests are catered for somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Jabd said:

Can anyone recommend the best mobile network? Obviously we are looking for a good balance between coverage and affordability… (the same goes for internet to)

There’s one phone company. It’s a terrible rip off and you’ll likely be paying 4 x what you’re paying in the UK for appalling connection speeds if you don’t sign up to fibre. 

40 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

There’s one phone company. It’s a terrible rip off and you’ll likely be paying 4 x what you’re paying in the UK for appalling connection speeds if you don’t sign up to fibre. 

You’d be surprised at what VDSL will do. You can shove 200mbps+ down a twisted copper pair reliably. If that isn’t witchcraft…

Jabd this will offer you a speed range for any property you’re looking at, if you have the landline number. The postcode will let you check if you are in an area for fibre to the house (the other services use your phone line instead, hence the landline number request). Sure do some of the better bundle deals, here it’s much like the UK where BT/Openreach own the infrastructure and lease it to other providers. 

https://www.sure.com/isleofman/broadband-and-home/broadband/broadband-speeds/

There isn’t much to choose from mobile phone wise, coverage on both networks is good, I personally found MT better on contract, but Sure are better on PAYG, they offer more data for the same cost. Without sounding negative I’ve found the aftersales on both leaves a lot to be desired, seems to be mostly youngsters making a start in their career and if you don’t want the latest IPhone or Samsung Galaxy they don’t seem at all interested, that’s if you can pull them away from playing with their phones in the first place.

As for pubs/restaurants, try them all, that’s all part of the fun of moving somewhere new, find what suits you, not what suits others.

• Like 1

Some of the advice here so far re telecoms is awful.  Which should tell you all you need to know about asking questions on here.

Manx Telecom, wi-manx and sure can all offer talk packages and broadband to nearly anywhere.

Manx Telecom, sure and Wi-Manx can offer fibre to certain locations.

OptiFi can offer limited broadband depending on where you live or work.

Bluewave can offer internet and some voice service (but not mobiles)

Starlink is now available for internet but is expensive.

Mantis technology do satellite broadband although I had heard they might be stopping.

Loads of options.  Mobile phones are as cheap now as a UK one, and the UK ones will all have their agreements to let people use free minutes here while spending most of their year roaming terminated soon anyway.  So make sure you get a local one with the best package for you.  If the family need a few then Sure are particularly good value.

Personally I run Sure for everything and have no issues.  Don't haas a landline though.  Sure mobiles, Sure broadband for work, and Sure 4g router for home.  Cheap as chips and cant complain.  Most of those ho do complain are either very unfortunate and live in a rare dead zone (maghould, Lower Foxdale) or just dont know how to set their internal network up to work properly.

Enjoy your relocation and ask away, but be prepared for a load of people to most a load of stuff that is untrue.

Edited by Ramseyboi

20 hours ago, finlo said:

Stick with your UK number and roam pretty sure it will still be cheaper than the local offerings.

22 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

That’s getting on for half of the posts being total bollocks

• Like 1

I’d get a Manx contract and keep your Vodafone to use in UK and further afield. Manx roaming is expensive. All UK providers are moving to fair use policies that will result in huge roaming charges here after the first couple of months.

Apart from that we still have phone boxes. We used to have jetons just like in France for public phones. They may still be in use up in Jurby.

FEA93E55-2D54-4321-B960-9EAA942EA630.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Some of the advice here so far re telecoms is awful.  Which should tell you all you need to know about asking questions on here.

Perhaps correct the things you see are wrong (such as EU roaming charges) and leave it at that, you don’t need to be so rude about others who’ve taken the time to reply, it certainly doesn’t make for a very welcoming environment for any new poster.

For what it’s worth the answers here will be no different than the ones you’ll find on Facebook. Only the other day someone posted about UK mobiles/roaming charges and the wrong advice was given, as you’ve rightfully said the EU fixed roaming charges that once benefited us will no longer apply.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Perhaps correct the things you see are wrong (such as EU roaming charges) and leave it at that, you don’t need to be so rude about others who’ve taken the time to reply, it certainly doesn’t make for a very welcoming environment for any new poster.

For what it’s worth the answers here will be no different than the ones you’ll find on Facebook. Only the other day someone posted about UK mobiles/roaming charges and the wrong advice was given, as you’ve rightfully said the EU fixed roaming charges that once benefited us will no longer apply.

Erm.  I did?  I also told the much welcomed new poster to ask whatever they wanted.

22 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I just read the entire thread back bd I think you might want to as well?

I feel sorry for the person who asked genuine questions and got your response.  

16 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Personally I run Sure for everything and have no issues.  Don't haas a landline though.  Sure mobiles, Sure broadband for work, and Sure 4g router for home.  Cheap as chips and cant complain.  Most of those ho do complain are either very unfortunate and live in a rare dead zone (maghould, Lower Foxdale) or just dont know how to set their internal network up to work properly.

Enjoy your relocation and ask away, but be prepared for a load of people to most a load of stuff that is untrue.

I would be hesitant to suggest 4G as a dependable fallback in certain areas of the Island. You really need a couple of days to work out whether it is a viable prospect where you are. There are a couple of sizable towns where contention is known to be a major issue on 4G, especially on Sure, you can actually plot the change in speed and latency over the course of a day, as you'd expect it gets notably worse at peak times, falling well into ADSL speeds. MT I was getting around 40-50mb/s in the same area, using a roaming SIM card, but unfortunately, that provider stopped offering unlimited roaming. Sure no longer offer unlimited home broadband over 4G either. The most you can get is 100GB a month, anyone on the unlimited was grandfathered in.

Personally, I would recommend going for fibre if available, especially if you're planning on staying in a property. MT are aiming to switch everyone to it in the next few years, as it is faster and more reliable. I believe the Island-wide rollout is to be complete by 2024.

On 7/25/2021 at 7:39 PM, Jabd said:

Hi there!

So it looks like my husband and I will be moving to the Isle of Man in the next couple of months for work.

we are SUPER EXCITED about the move but as we know very little about the island, we are looking for a bit of advice…

can anyone recommend the best mobile network? Obviously we are looking for a good balance between coverage and affordability… (the same goes for internet to)

we think we know the area we would like to settle, but any advice on people’s favourite areas would be very much appreciated! Any restaurants, pubs, etc people could recommend… things to do… anything at all!

we’d really appreciate the advice and are looking forward to making new friends! 

ages and line of business?