Tim Baker 'MHK'

AlanShimmin

Wow, the so-called Infrastructure royally threw his toys out if the pram because he can't handle a bit of criticism. 

When you look at Baker's track record in MUA, DOI, Meat Plant, Prom, Landing Stage, Airport.... you have to wonder how he has the tenacity to criticise another member of Tynwald like this. 

I'm not sure I've ever heard him apologise for any of his various clusterf*cks. 

Let's hope the voters of Ayre and Michael do the decent thing. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=63039&headline=Minister accuses Chris Robertshaw of talking absolute drivel and rubbish&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2021

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Wow, the so-called Infrastructure royally threw his toys out if the pram because he can't handle a bit of criticism. 

When you look at Baker's track record in MUA, DOI, Meat Plant, Prom, Landing Stage, Airport.... you have to wonder how he has the tenacity to criticise another member of Tynwald like this. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=63039&headline=Minister accuses Chris Robertshaw of talking absolute drivel and rubbish&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2021

He's been let down by his civil servants, his Department is too big, but ultimately he is accountable. He needs to be voted out.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Robertshaw 25 years ago would probably have decked someone for saying that. 

• Like 6

Dont forget the NSC flumes , another DOI classic cock up and under Baker's watch . Wait till he has to stand in front of Moulton and explain how once again the Prom finish date will be delayed , for the umpteen time.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Dont forget the NSC flumes , another DOI classic cock up and under Baker's watch . Wait till he has to stand in front of Moulton and explain how once again the Prom finish date will be delayed , for the umpteen time.   

"YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT PAUL! SOCIAL MEDIA DOESN'T UNDERSTAND IT, NONE OF YOU UNDERSTAND IT SO STOP CRITICISING!" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

"YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT PAUL! SOCIAL MEDIA DOESN'T UNDERSTAND IT, NONE OF YOU UNDERSTAND IT SO STOP CRITICISING!" 

Baker has been quite an appalling minister and his interviews in situ on the Promenade with Moulton and all the chao ensuing around him bring home how out of his depth this man is.   Yes his department have let him down but he is the focal point of the Dept.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It is amazing really that Baker has turned out to be worse than Harmer. 

Thats actually the scary truth. He's making Harmer look almost passable h

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

He has the arrogance of a man who studied economics at Cambridge. He seems to be able to portray himself as a nice bloke until someone gets one over him then he turns into a right nasty bastard. It seems to happen almost every time someone doesn’t buy his version of reality. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

He has the arrogance of a man who studied economics at Cambridge. He seems to be able to portray himself as a nice bloke until someone gets one over him then he turns into a right nasty bastard. It seems to happen almost every time someone doesn’t buy his version of reality. 

Lying nasty bastard too 

The remark that got Baker in trouble is actually very revealing:

[Robertshaw] seems to see conspiracy in every situation. You see things the way that you are. If you are basically honest, you see things as honest and if you are not, you don’t.

Now even ignoring the insult to Robertshaw and the fact that the word 'basically' is doing a lot of work here, this is complete nonsense.  Whether something is honest or not is complete unrelated to the honesty of those assessing it.  And even if the intentions of some or all of those are honest, it doesn't mean that the enterprise itself will be.  People can be deluded or mislead or misinformed or inattentive.

I suspect this is derived from Baker's brand of Evangelical Christianity.  "I am pure at heart (I've paid good money to prove it), so everything I do must be good and honest and anyone who queries it must be an evil agent of Satan".  No need to examine your own motives and actions, virtue is guaranteed by your own Righteousness.

Edited to add:  I've just realised that this is actually from a Biblical base: "To the pure all things are pure"

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You'd think it was mathematically impossible, but they all seem to be worse than each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sheldon said:

You'd think it was mathematically impossible, but they all seem to be worse than each other.

Well, if they'd picked Callister, Cregeen or Perkins I could have seen things being worse. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

I'll still be voting for him rather than cannan. Cannan would have resigned the DOI months ago to protect his career. I quite like bakers lack of machiavanialism. Reminds me of me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm not sure that he actually has been.  It's just that he has made more of an effort to communicate the 'reasons' for his Department's actions (or lack of them) and so unwittingly exposed what a shitstorm they are and his complete inability to do anything about it except moan about criticism.  When Harmer bothered to appear, what he said was usually incomprehensible, so it wasn't quite so obvious.

• Like 4