Tim Baker 'MHK'

AlanShimmin

8 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

This 'rumour' is actually pretty well true. And why they jumped all over the place till the powers that be came up with plans. Quayle should have called a halt to it all months ago , had a forensic examination of what was happening and only allowed to continue when answers were satisfactory . I believe the DOI budget has taken a hammering to cover overspends as Harmer hinted at before it started .  

The plans getting tweaked daily and then not being sent to the contractors won't help either.

• Like 1

Baker has just been having his strings pulled for fun by Black, Robinson, Longworth et al at the DOI, if he'd been as critical of them as he's tried to be of Robertshaw it might have raised a bit more respect. It's been refreshing to see that Lars Ugland has been clearly unwilling entertain any bullshitting Ministers and their lying cabal of CS over Liverpool and the SPCo, clearly we need more Lars Uglands, including at the Meat Plant.

So which strings will it be tomorrow, Tim?

a64ed77db1adeec8aa1a0b647e1e8275.jpg

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

This 'rumour' is actually pretty well true. And why they jumped all over the place till the powers that be came up with plans. Quayle should have called a halt to it all months ago , had a forensic examination of what was happening and only allowed to continue when answers were satisfactory . I believe the DOI budget has taken a hammering to cover overspends as Harmer hinted at before it started .  

It shows what a weak and ineffective politician Baker is. He can never be allowed to hold such a position again. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The DOI has seen off yet another politico. If the head count to date and the Beaman's Report don't instigate a root and branch reform of the DOI then there is seriously something wrong with the governance of this Island and the view that is taken of taxpayers money, particularly within that Department.

The implications are another deep review of the Department and the transfer of staff to an arms length management company that will be the first rung on the corporatisation ladder. 

The problem with these schemes is that the Minister and the senior staff remain unaccountable and untouchable. Again it separates the strategic from the operational components with no political interference.

Why Baker took this all on in the first place is a mystery. He must have known he was going to be pilloried. What was his real motivation for his apparent martyrdom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Apple said:

The implications are another deep review of the Department and the transfer of staff to an arms length management company that will be the first rung on the corporatisation ladder. 

The problem with these schemes is that the Minister and the senior staff remain unaccountable and untouchable. Again it separates the strategic from the operational components with no political interference.

Why Baker took this all on in the first place is a mystery. He must have known he was going to be pilloried. What was his real motivation for his apparent martyrdom.

As a yes man who voted the CoMin line constantly he was always going take the first sniff of power offered to him.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

As a yes man who voted the CoMin line constantly he was always going take the first sniff of power offered to him.

That may prove costly at the election.

Personally I think sadly he has been left to fry.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

They don't, they have 1 pothole gang now to look after the island whole road network....................................................................Ian Thompson made a lot of good changes in the islands CS. It is a shame he is not involved now, he would stop a lot of the waste.

They have one Patching crew for all Island and 4x2man Parish wardens, I know as my mate is in the Parish wardens.

5 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

They have one Patching crew for all Island and 4x2man Parish wardens, I know as my mate is in the Parish wardens.

But they're also farming patchwork out to Carey's and Cringles?

21 hours ago, Sheldon said:

You'd think it was mathematically impossible, but they all seem to be worse than each other.

I like this. Write a paper entitled “A non-transitive ordering of a 24-tuple” and submit it for a Fields Medal. 

• Haha 2

Its not fair or accurate to simply assess Tim Baker's performance at the DoI when considering his suitability for re-election, but take the last 5 years in the round. If you include the Meat Plant, MUA, Children's Champion, DoI and delivery of his manifesto to constituents it is clear that Tim has taken on everything that has been asked of him and delivered very little, if not fuck all. He has shown that he is a lacky to CoMIN and the current political system, has very little self-perception (as his election leaflet delivered to my house and put in the bin shows very clearly) and has a pious attitude that cannot accept criticism as valid. Here is one vote he is not getting in September. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, joebean said:

He has shown that he is a lacky to CoMIN and the current political system, has very little self-perception (as his election leaflet delivered to my house and put in the bin shows very clearly) and has a pious attitude that cannot accept criticism as valid.

That's a fitting biography.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Rumour I've heard from several sources : Works were undertaken too early (for political reasons) as investigation of exisitng services were nowhere near completed, so you had utilities trying to fire fight decades of ad hoc works as they were discovered which in turn delayed works in certain areas whilst being rectified. So then the project spread out in the hunt for works they could do in the meantime in a vain attemtp to keep to a program so the whole project ended up as a dogs dinner.

We had insituform working on sewer lining for years with small areas of disruption. The utility investigation & prep works could have been run alongsdie that. Then split the job into stages, Sea Terminal to Gaeity, Gaeity to Broadway, Broadway to Palace and Palace to Strathallan. That way if time and money ran out, the core of the workd could be done and honestly north of Broadway could have been just tarmaced. The vast majority of properties along there are private residences and are never going back to tourism.

Over ambitious amateurs bit off more than they could chew and no-one had the balls to call a stop and turn it around. Just double down with tax payers money and thank the fates for the mother of all excuses .... Covid with a side order of climate change.

Seems about right.

The above needs posting in the Promenade Megathread.

2 hours ago, joebean said:

Its not fair or accurate to simply assess Tim Baker's performance at the DoI when considering his suitability for re-election, but take the last 5 years in the round. If you include the Meat Plant, MUA, Children's Champion, DoI and delivery of his manifesto to constituents it is clear that Tim has taken on everything that has been asked of him and delivered very little, if not fuck all. He has shown that he is a lacky to CoMIN and the current political system, has very little self-perception (as his election leaflet delivered to my house and put in the bin shows very clearly) and has a pious attitude that cannot accept criticism as valid. Here is one vote he is not getting in September. 

He was a bizarre choice for Children’s Champion, not sure what he was even involved for long enough to make a dogs dinner of it. But the rest of it, definitely agree with what you’re saying. He cannot accept any form of criticism and has shown himself to be very waspish, which hints at possible confidence issues that he’s trying to hide behind bluster. Given the catalogue of disasters behind him, a lack of confidence is understandable. I’m sure he’s very capable in his original chosen field, but political office is not his strength, mostly down to how he communicates and comes across. I hope the voters in his constituency don’t return him. 

• Thanks 1