Tim Baker 'MHK'

AlanShimmin

2 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Beaten by Rob Callister who hasn't even bothered writing a report since he took on the position.

He’s far too busy with motorsport, even if we haven’t had a TT event for 2 years, and his crucial blog. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

As a yes man who voted the CoMin line constantly he was always going take the first sniff of power offered to him.

It will be interesting from September when the Ministerial uplift goes. I would imagine they’ll have to have a lottery to see who gets the DOI as if the money makes no difference anymore I can see a few Ministries actually struggling for MHKs wanting to be bothered when you can just sit on the back benches on the same pay. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Time we had some opposition & government members limited to half the House of Keys, excluding the Speaker and Deputy Speaker

I agree but will we actually have people signing up for Ministry’s with the new changes? For me if it was the choice of taking a role on COMIN responsible for the DOI or not being a Minister and getting the exact same pay to have absolutely no association with the DOI I know what I’d choose. A few other departments are similar career limiting embarrassments as well. So why would you bother now? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I agree but will we actually have people signing up for Ministry’s with the new changes? For me if it was the choice of taking a role on COMIN responsible for the DOI or not being a Minister and getting the exact same pay to have absolutely no association with the DOI I know what I’d choose. A few other departments are similar career limiting embarrassments as well. So why would you bother now? 

Before any ministers are appointed to these posts , treasury , Chief Secretary and the likes need to sort out the massive flaws in the departments. Also this needs to be done before any CM appointment. I however think this wont happen . The incompetance , structure and continous waste of tax payers money cant go on though . Our government have been shown to be usless in anticipating issues and being pro active so I dont expect anything different in September. There also will be a big cull in sitting members so thats a ready made excuse for the powers that be .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Before any ministers are appointed to these posts , treasury , Chief Secretary and the likes need to sort out the massive flaws in the departments. Also this needs to be done before any CM appointment. I however think this wont happen . The incompetance , structure and continous waste of tax payers money cant go on though .

Our elected have been repeatedly proven to have little influence over the incompetence, structure and continuous waste of taxpayers money though?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

There also will be a big cull in sitting members…

Which members do you foresee in that cull?

20 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It will be interesting from September when the Ministerial uplift goes. I would imagine they’ll have to have a lottery to see who gets the DOI as if the money makes no difference anymore I can see a few Ministries actually struggling for MHKs wanting to be bothered when you can just sit on the back benches on the same pay. 

That is a really obvious problem that doesn't seem to have been thought through. Why become a department member in a shit department for no reward. On the hand queues will form for some, Treasury and DFE for example

• Like 2

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

You underestimate a politican's ego.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, english zloty said:

That is a really obvious problem that doesn't seem to have been thought through. Why become a department member in a shit department for no reward. On the hand queues will form for some, Treasury and DFE for example

1 hour ago, Declan said:

You underestimate a politican's ego.

Ego vs Money.....this will be very interesting. I have long considered what exactly it is that gets a politician out of bed in the morning and to do what they do, often in the face of personal adversity and strife.

Ambition, ego, legacy, money, family, sense of history, being different, influence - the list could be endless. I sense an interesting social observational experience coming up. (or something like that.)

5 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Before any ministers are appointed to these posts , treasury , Chief Secretary and the likes need to sort out the massive flaws in the departments. Also this needs to be done before any CM appointment. I however think this wont happen . The incompetance , structure and continous waste of tax payers money cant go on though . Our government have been shown to be usless in anticipating issues and being pro active so I dont expect anything different in September. There also will be a big cull in sitting members so thats a ready made excuse for the powers that be .

I suspect the v long-serving Chief Secretary is part of the problem. There are others in DOI, AG's. Time for new blood at the top.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, english zloty said:

Alternatively it's designed to do exactly that.  Politicians may only agree to become Ministers and Departmental Members if they are allowed to have real power when they do so.  At the moment people are unwilling to threaten resignation because of the loss of earnings, but if it doesn't make much difference, then they become less malleable.

• Like 2