Charities and Volunteers take on Government services

Apple

24 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

As we all know, it is time for a change of government & a change of approach towards the 'parasitic inequalities'

Some are more equal than others. Some vested interest groups have more vested interests than other groups. Deserving poor as opposed to undeserving poor. 

Dog eat Dog……………….. Not a good society we have created.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Apple said:

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/fundraisers-plan-to-beat-holiday-hunger/

This is just one example.

I know there are more people not working but are the Government growing this sector by neglecting to help out.

bearing in mind the report last week on poverty

I think Government have been aware of certain sectors in society falling behind, but as usual bury their heads in the sand. Throwing money at the issue isn’t an answer, as unfortunately its prone to fraud. Giving people practical assistance is helpful. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Apple said:

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/fundraisers-plan-to-beat-holiday-hunger/

This is just one example.

I know there are more people not working but are the Government growing this sector by neglecting to help out.

bearing in mind the report last week on poverty

It's complicated of course but headline unemployment is actually down below 'normal' levels already.  It was 495 last month down from 1133 in June 2020 and government food support in the school holidays wasn't something that was normally done in the past.  The trouble is that doing something on poverty, especially relating to housing, will put a lot of noses out of joint.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SleepyJoe said:

Lord knows what the world increasingly without traditional jobs will make of our society

On the IOM there are too many do-gooders, busybodies and politicos all interfering, so sometimes the messages are getting lost in the fog, or being drowned out by competing identities. It’s not helping people, a co-ordinated plan is needed. A co-ordinated plan to get people off benefits into work is needed. Fuel Poverty needs to be addressed. Robertshaw tried to reform long term sickness and encourage those able to do some work, to get back to work. Perhaps this could be revisited with incentivised enducements given? 

42 minutes ago, 2112 said:

On the IOM there are too many do-gooders, busybodies and politicos all interfering, so sometimes the messages are getting lost in the fog, or being drowned out by competing identities. It’s not helping people, a co-ordinated plan is needed. A co-ordinated plan to get people off benefits into work is needed. Fuel Poverty needs to be addressed. Robertshaw tried to reform long term sickness and encourage those able to do some work, to get back to work. Perhaps this could be revisited with incentivised enducements given? 

About 6 years ago I was put on incapacity benefit due to illness . Soul destroying  as had worked hard all my life and hard to get out of the situation without making me worse. I was really helped by the Permitted work scheme at Markwell house while keeping the benefits . It allowed you to work up to 16 hrs and earn up to £150 a week which was such a godsend. I was lucky to find a great part time job which helped my mental health and self esteem so much . Its a great scheme in so many ways. Not only did it improve my mental health so much it also helped my finances . And after 18 months , its initially up to a year , I was able to resume normal work and come of benifits totally . As a footnote for most benefits are a nightmare . I was getting £108 a week on incapacity and a small top up of around £11 income support. You really dont choose to be on them and like Xmas when you can stop them. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

About 6 years ago I was put on incapacity benefit due to illness . Soul destroying  as had worked hard all my life and hard to get out of the situation without making me worse. I was really helped by the Permitted work scheme at Markwell house while keeping the benefits . It allowed you to work up to 16 hrs and earn up to £150 a week which was such a godsend. I was lucky to find a great part time job which helped my mental health and self esteem so much . Its a great scheme in so many ways. Not only did it improve my mental health so much it also helped my finances . And after 18 months , its initially up to a year , I was able to resume normal work and come of benifits totally . As a footnote for most benefits are a nightmare . I was getting £108 a week on incapacity and a small top up of around £11 income support. You really dont choose to be on them and like Xmas when you can stop them. 

Great positive post.

The benefits system is outdated, not fit for purpose, and administered by in some cases ‘uncaring and automated’ civil servants. Real reform is needed. Another issue that needs addressing is unemployment skills training  - the Government closed the training skills centre at Hills Meadow, to reopen it as a engineering training centre.  Perhaps a centre for the training of unemployed people be set up - with unemployed given training opportunities and an additional benefit top up as a bonus. If they refuse to adapt, more use of sanctions may be required as a stick to the carrot. 

• Like 1