Charities and Volunteers take on Government services

Apple

11 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Do Shoprite own the Port Erin car park?

Half of it, the other half is the commissioners. A few years ago there was some willing waving between the two, resulted in half the spaces having blue lines half white and a goon hired to bully people parking.

11 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Do Shoprite own the Port Erin car park?

They own half and Port Erin Commissioners own half. In reality it’s nit picking. Is it worth splitting hairs and asking someone doing a charitable deed to move on? Let’s face it, I doubt they would have been there all day! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Apple said:

I think all charities on the IoM should ( be made to) publish their balance sheets and salaries for all staff, admin costs etc so we know where our contributions / donations are going to, especially if the form any semblance of a contract or arrangement with government. about what or how they provide a service. I suspect there would be one or two surprises.

Charirites must submit annual accounts, I beleive they can be obtained from the AG at charities@gov.im along with other registered information. But don't quote me. At this point it's not available online as other forms of company are (some free and some are charged a fee) but according to the gov website this is coming.

Publishing individual names and salaries probably falls foul of GDPR requirements for any organistaion to protect personal data.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, finlo said:

You mean compulsory taxation that is then sent off to corrupt despot regime's dressed up as humanitarian aid?

Right forgetting last nights shenanigans I assume you are referring to Government overseas aid ( be that IOM, Uk or elsewhere)

There is this assumption that this aid is appropriated by the recipient government and used for nefarious purposes. Funding palaces, luxury cars for top officials, that sort of thing.

There are procedures in place to make sure this does not happen. Although obviously you can’t be sure that there is not some leakage.

Similarly there are those ( and I am excluding those blinkered Manxies who won’t give to any charity unless “ all the money stays on the Island” , for obvious purposes) who won’t give money to say the Red Cross or Medicine sans Frontiers.
They seem to believe that these organizations simply hand over the money to the despots to do with as they will, rather than them organizing humanitarian aid and targeting where they think it is best needed.

Or maybe they use this myth as a convenient  excuse not to put their hand in their pockets.

If they don’t want to donate fine, that’s there prerogative but why not say so instead of these lame excuses

18 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Or maybe they use this myth as a convenient  excuse not to put their hand in their pockets.

If they don’t want to donate fine, that’s there prerogative but why not say so instead of these lame excuses

I think if people donate money for a case on the island (or elsewhere) they are entitled to know where it is going. When I get  asked for example if I want to a shopping bag (for a price) the question to which charity the money goes to is usually "head office". No one ever  seems to know who is benefitting, and yet it is government mandated.

I understand much community 'integrated' care will include /involve charity and volunteer based to save money.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Right forgetting last nights shenanigans I assume you are referring to Government overseas aid ( be that IOM, Uk or elsewhere)

There is this assumption that this aid is appropriated by the recipient government and used for nefarious purposes. Funding palaces, luxury cars for top officials, that sort of thing.

There are procedures in place to make sure this does not happen. Although obviously you can’t be sure that there is not some leakage.

Similarly there are those ( and I am excluding those blinkered Manxies who won’t give to any charity unless “ all the money stays on the Island” , for obvious purposes) who won’t give money to say the Red Cross or Medicine sans Frontiers.
They seem to believe that these organizations simply hand over the money to the despots to do with as they will, rather than them organizing humanitarian aid and targeting where they think it is best needed.

Even if you don't want to donate the government do it for you with no public mandate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

I think if people donate money for a case on the island (or elsewhere) they are entitled to know where it is going. 

Well to a degree. But if you give money to Christian Aid for example they can’t tell you which particular project your money will go to.

And if you give to the MSPCA/RSPCA they can’t tell you which particular cat, dog or other animal you would be helping. Or  which of their staffs wages or which other overheads you are helping to fund.

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

Even if you don't want to donate the government do it for you with no public mandate.

But the government spend your money in all sorts of ways you may not agree with.

They have a public mandate by virtue of being elected

Edited by The Voice of Reason

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well to a degree. But if you give money to Christian Aid for example they can’t tell you which particular project your money will go to.

I would not expect to know that.

But I would like to know which charity the shopping bag money is going to. What if it never gets there.....

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But the government spend your money in all sorts of ways you may not agree with.

They have a public mandate by virtue of being elected

Indeed, and that's why we're in the pickle we're in!

1 minute ago, Apple said:

I would not expect to know that.

But I would like to know which charity the shopping bag money is going to. What if it never gets there.....

Well follow it up with “head office” before you give up your 20 pence or whatever.

Or just take your own shopping bag and tell them you don’t need to buy one.

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And if you give to the MSPCA/RSPCA they can’t tell you which particular cat, dog or other animal you would be helping. Or  which of their staffs wages or which other overheads you are helping to fund.

I usually donate clothing or something which can be sold in the MSPCA shop. I give to small charity collections, who do need the funding, eg, Lifeboats