Jump to content

New Pulrose Road Layout


Amadeus
 Share

Recommended Posts

and in the meantime  the highways infrastructure in places like Bucks road and many  of the  side  roads feeding onto it are a disgrace  littered with pot holes and continual  deteriorate at an alarming state ,  what I would like to know is when everyone avoids the main feeder route from the north into Douglas  following the promenade works  ,where do the DOI think the traffic is going to go , at the Quarter bridge  every day seems like TT week with traffic backed up in every direction ,

I have never known the roads and footpaths in Douglas to be in such a dreadful and dangerous state , and  apparently  so we can tick a box to promote active travel  to provide things no one seems to be using or wants in the first place , 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Omobono said:

and in the meantime  the highways infrastructure in places like Bucks road and many  of the  side  roads feeding onto it are a disgrace  littered with pot holes and continual  deteriorate at an alarming state ,  what I would like to know is when everyone avoids the main feeder route from the north into Douglas  following the promenade works  ,where do the DOI think the traffic is going to go , at the Quarter bridge  every day seems like TT week with traffic backed up in every direction ,

I have never known the roads and footpaths in Douglas to be in such a dreadful and dangerous state , and  apparently  so we can tick a box to promote active travel  to provide things no one seems to be using or wants in the first place , 

Yep. Yet again DOI splurging the GMTP money on projects that will not get maintained, along with all the stuff that you list above.

They can't maintain what they have already created have let alone anything they're planning for the future.

It's utter madness.

As if we didn't know before, it's confirmed that the loonies have definitely escaped and running the asylum.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Omobono said:

and in the meantime  the highways infrastructure in places like Bucks road and many  of the  side  roads feeding onto it are a disgrace  littered with pot holes and continual  deteriorate at an alarming state ,  what I would like to know is when everyone avoids the main feeder route from the north into Douglas  following the promenade works  ,where do the DOI think the traffic is going to go , at the Quarter bridge  every day seems like TT week with traffic backed up in every direction ,

I have never known the roads and footpaths in Douglas to be in such a dreadful and dangerous state , and  apparently  so we can tick a box to promote active travel  to provide things no one seems to be using or wants in the first place , 

You're exactly right. This scheme cannot be allowed to go ahead. The junction was rebuilt at massive cost less than 6 years ago. 

As you've identified there are roads that are in a dangerous state and likely on the verge of failing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The amount of vegetation build-up along the edges of the road in areas of the Mountain Rd will restrict water run-off when the weather breaks, Windy to 33rd being prime example. Ditches are blocked with weeds elsewhere, there's also a shallow gulley at the base of the wall around the inside of Verandah 4 bends that's blocked solid with vegetation and bits of car. The straight section from there to Les Graham now floods in heavy rain too.

But there's no glory in basic maintenance. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The amount of vegetation build-up along the edges of the road in areas of the Mountain Rd will restrict water run-off when the weather breaks, Windy to 33rd being prime example. Ditches are blocked with weeds elsewhere, there's also a shallow gulley at the base of the wall around the inside of Verandah 4 bends that's blocked solid with vegetation and bits of car. The straight section from there to Les Graham now floods in heavy rain too.

But there's no glory in basic maintenance. 

That's why they wanted to close it for 6 days weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Omobono said:

and in the meantime  the highways infrastructure in places like Bucks road and many  of the  side  roads feeding onto it are a disgrace  littered with pot holes and continual  deteriorate at an alarming state ,  what I would like to know is when everyone avoids the main feeder route from the north into Douglas  following the promenade works  ,where do the DOI think the traffic is going to go , at the Quarter bridge  every day seems like TT week with traffic backed up in every direction ,

I have never known the roads and footpaths in Douglas to be in such a dreadful and dangerous state , and  apparently  so we can tick a box to promote active travel  to provide things no one seems to be using or wants in the first place , 

Yes they need to concentrate on upgrading and maintaining the primary routes.  These grandiose schemes are all well and good if the rest of the network is in apple pie order, which  is clearly not the case.  Where they appear to be going wrong is shoe horning everything into the same space (trying to please everyone), the roadways become a lot more narrow - as evidence with the promenade scheme - this surely will have a detrimental effect.

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I've never yet seen even one cyclist on the Lezayre Road cycle lane into Ramsey. Not ever, in the two (?) years since it was put there. Nor do I ever see any kids cycling to school like we used to. I can't remember when I last saw a schoolkid in uniform on a bike.

A classic example of engineering a ridiculous cycle lane where it causes more harm than good.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

lA classic example of engineering a ridiculous cycle lane where it causes more harm than good.

At least you have the option of driving inside the cycle lane when required, this Pulrose one is a solid line instead. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Question, hows that cycle lane going to work when all the cars are parked at the Escape room? i assume this means its closing or moving or are they just going to drive over the top of it? Also doesn't this no notice of the current construction of the Starbucks/KFC which is going to cut across cycle lanes and increase traffic (see McD's) right into their shiny new junction.

FYI i'm a cyclist and advocate of active travel but firmly believe that the existing infrastructure needs upgrading first before we start adding in more. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

Yes they need to concentrate on upgrading and maintaining the primary routes.  These grandiose schemes are all well and good if the rest of the network is in apple pie order, which  is clearly not the case.  Where they appear to be going wrong is shoe horning everything into the same space (trying to please everyone), the roadways become a lot more narrow - as evidence with the promenade scheme - this surely will have a detrimental effect.

A classic example of engineering a ridiculous cycle lane where it causes more harm than good.

Will they get rid of it now the old railway line had been tarmacked for cyclists?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a couple of issues with this, the first being that I still think the island is too hilly to get your Average Joe's out and about going to work, never mind the weather.

The other more specific thing is the proposed width of Pulrose Road, 6.4 metres is narrow, very very narrow for a 2 way road that has lots of HGVs and buses. Measure it out.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that rarely gets considered is whether cycle lanes actually make thing more dangerous for cyclists.  Especially when they aren't a completely separate network, but have to continually  interact with the existing road infrastructure - we've seen a tragic example of that already.  It's not just at the road cross-over points - interaction with pedestrians also needs to be considered - walking is active travel as well and a much more widely used one than cycling.

But there's a more general point as well.  If cycle lanes and paths become seen as the place for them, drivers are likely to become much less aware and even tolerant of cyclists who they will see as being 'out of place' when on normal, unmarked roads.  But the reality is that 95% or more of the time that is exactly where cyclists will be.

Of course if the government were serious about providing facilities for cyclists, they would be insisting new developments incorporated suitable cycling bypasses and so on.  But the reality is that these plans are no more than everything else the Sea Terminal Crayonistas produce, lots of pretty pictures to justify their own position and the spending of more money on big projects.  As usual there is no real consideration of need or likely usage, these projects are ends in themselves, not about providing facilities for the public.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I've yet to see a cycle on the new path down from the Anagh Coar crossing, and precious few on the Peel Rd Lane, or anywhere else.

There must be loads of underemployed civil servants who could be given a clipboard (standard issue anyway?) and counter to spend a (civil service) working day on Peel Rd to count the number of cyclists.  I'd venture to suggest the result will be pretty close to the square root of Zero.

This cycling revolution is not only a fantasy in our planners' imagination (it might be going on in the 'flatlands' of London but not in our land of hills) but also a 'green' box-ticking exercise that achieves nothing else but making the crawl out of Douglas in 'peak' hours even longer than it needs to be. 

We witness yet another waste of tax-payers money that achieves what aside from assuaging this month's 'must do' project in Road Planner's Monthly?

And I write this as a keen cyclist.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...