New Pulrose Road Layout

Amadeus

2 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Out of town parking and Park and ride should be looked at again with dedicated bus lanes to encourage the take up.

Out of town park and ride means leaving your car at home and getting the bus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Out of town park and ride means leaving your car at home and getting the bus. 

Which would be a bus that stops to pick up people every hundred yards and takes ages.

No, proper park and ride is faster than you could drive to your destination if done properly.

3 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Which would be a bus that stops to pick up people every hundred yards and takes ages.

No, proper park and ride is faster than you could drive to your destination if done properly.

I'm a fan of the concept, but it won't work here.

2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Yes there are electric bikes now but that sort of defeats the object.

No they don't. They smooth out the hills but are still great exercise.

Agree with you about Park 'n Ride though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

The new house needs to look at this Active Travel policy early doors.

It is never going to happen, the island is TOO HILLY. 

Yes there are electric bikes now but that sort of defeats the object.

Out of town parking and Park and ride should be looked at again with dedicated bus lanes to encourage the take up.

We need to get the pollution out of the town, including the power station. Get a wind farm built off the West coast ASAP.

Nobles car park is the defacto park and ride, see the number of works vans parked there overnight and cars left there all day when the works vans leave, i've seen people dump their cars there and walk to the bus stop.

and they wonder why there's no parking at nobles.

People won't use charged park and ride when there's free car parks around, plain and simple and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Chief said:

Nobles car park is the defacto park and ride, see the number of works vans parked there overnight and cars left there all day when the works vans leave, i've seen people dump their cars there and walk to the bus stop.

and they wonder why there's no parking at nobles.

People won't use charged park and ride when there's free car parks around, plain and simple and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Its not exactly rocket science to give Nobles genuine parkers a voucher or something to get out of the car park free?

Should it even be free?

That's another discussion.

Presently I am more concerned at the amount of off island bikers that are trying to kill themselves recently, sometimes successfully last week, on the mountain road at the moment.

Went over there today and had 2 near misses plus saw a broken bike at the turnoff to Kirk Michael which had just been up the road on its side.

Why do we think this is acceptable? Its a fucking road, not a race track. Where are the plod? Where are the law makers? Is unlimited speed acceptable on a single track, in places, narrow road? Is it? Really?

I will put this on record here now. If I ever lose a family member due to an idiot biker riding like a twat over the mountain I will find them.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

I will put this on record here now. If I ever lose a family member due to an idiot biker riding like a twat over the mountain I will find them.

i'll help.

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2021 at 1:13 PM, pongo said:

No they don't. They smooth out the hills but are still great exercise.

Agree with you about Park 'n Ride though.

Most electric bikes I see are no more than glorified electric scooters that you don't need road tax, insurance or a driving license (even provisional one) or a helmet to use.

I'd far prefer to see high streets pedestrianised with a ban on all non-mobility vehicles. That includes dismounting bicycles and skateboards, scooters etc. On the spot fines and confiscation until you provide valid ID. Then you'd have genuine active travel.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Most electric bikes I see are no more than glorified electric scooters that you don't need road tax, insurance or a driving license (even provisional one) or a helmet to use.

I'd far prefer to see high streets pedestrianised with a ban on all non-mobility vehicles. That includes dismounting bicycles and skateboards, scooters etc. On the spot fines and confiscation until you provide valid ID. Then you'd have genuine active travel.

More and more electric bikes disguise the battery as part of the frame so maybe you don't notice

There's no such thing as road tax. It's VED and it's based on emissions from the vehicle, so an electric bike would be £0

I pay VED on my four vehicles even when I'm riding my bike. Or walking. Or taking public transport.

My house insurance policy covers me for £2,500,000 when I'm on my bike 

Apparently 80% of cyclists also own a car so are likely to hold a driving licence 

45 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Apparently 80% of cyclists also own a car so are likely to hold a driving licence 

does that include under 16's that can't hold a driving licence yet ?