Storm Clouds gathering over Onchan Commissioners

Apple

I have just read in this weeks Courier about anonymous' letters apparently sent to Onchan residents containing "untruths ' about a Mr Crellin. It has concerned residents and it has been handed to the police. It doesn't say why.

I don't know, or care really, what is going on in Onchan. But is it not time we had a body of people who could "swoop" in and sort out local authorities when they go "off piste" and end up spending more time, effort and energy, and therefore wasting ratepayers money, on activities like this that damage reputations, all sound rather 'petty' and don't really go any where anyway.

I expect the next thing will be lawyers involved, more headline grabbing and reputation and character assassinations that must be grossly diverting for staff and other non involved people. 

Is it time for Onchan to be amalgamated with somewhere else? Every year seems to bring fresh problems. Is it something in the water?

Which local authority performs best on the island. Perhaps Onchan need a lesson in better local government and guidelines on how adults are supposed to behave.

P.S. - Don't look at the Commissioners where I live. Not the best example.

31 minutes ago, Apple said:

But is it not time we had a body of people who could "swoop" in and sort out local authorities when they go "off piste" and end up spending more time, effort and energy, and therefore wasting ratepayers money, on activities like this that damage reputations, all sound rather 'petty' and don't really go any where anyway.

The good news is that we do.  The bad news is that it's the DoI.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Quirkio as Loki has topped the poll for Onchan Commissioners but refuses the Chair

It's easier to throw shit at the chair from the sidelines than it is to actually be chair.

Quirkio is all mouth. 

Edited by AlanShimmin
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Why haven’t Onchans MHKs raised their heads and not got involved? Or do matters regarding their constituents and governance not matter?

The member responsible for local authorities is an onchan mhk. Expect a lengthy blog on why nothing has been done.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

It's easier to throw shit at the chair from the sidelines than it is to actually be chair.

Quirkio is all mouth. 

The votes cast for Crellin say the truth about what Onchan's electorate think about him and if I were him I would examine why that has happened and either change my ways of working or resign. I think Crellins continued post on the Commissioner's is untenable and he is lucky that there were 7 seats to fill. I think he should resign. As David Quirk got the most votes he has a clear mandate by the people of Onchan. Anyone who did not vote then your voice and opinion to me is irrelevant.

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The good news is that we do.  The bad news is that it's the DoI.

Ah. Now I understand.

It seems then the local authorities can just run up expensive debts then (as they won't have budgeted for unexpected legal fees presumably) without anyone being able to question on whose authority they do it.

Was there ever a case when the y could be held personally liable for when finances went awry or is it just taken that in fact they can spend whet they like on exactly what they like. Surely. the DOI can place sanctions on Boards? 

1 hour ago, Scipio said:

As David Quirk got the most votes he has a clear mandate by the people of Onchan.

Unless all his votes were second and third preference votes!!!

Certainly, we the cognoscenti, think that all should be revealed about the behind the scenes shenanigans, the Onchan residents don't seem to be 'up in arms' about it tho?

It only needs a Commissioner to raise the matters at a public meeting?

Edited by Kopek

14 hours ago, Scipio said:

As David Quirk got the most votes he has a clear mandate by the people of Onchan. Anyone who did not vote then your voice and opinion to me is irrelevant.

There are about 77% of people in Onchan, who in your opinion are irrelevant.

You are David Quirk and I claim my five Pounds.

Edited by Holte End

I see Mr Quirk is now expressing his views on the Promenade debacle. 

Is there no topic he is willing to express his views on ? 

Like the shenanigans in his own back yard ?

Look forward to that. Popcorn anyone ?

Just now, Apple said:

I see Mr Quirk is now expressing his views on the Promenade debacle. 

It must be because he drive a mini bus to the pensioners, which most of these so called manx radio journalists travel on.

or must keep meeting them, when are all collecting their pensions.

I do believe it a problem when you get to their age that you can't concentrate on the problems at hand and your thoughts wander off in all directions.

So the problems at Onchan commissioners will never be dealt with as there seems to be more pressing problems.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

His blogs are finished! They officially ended today.

What’s he going to do with the day and a half week he’s just regained?

I really don’t get a lot of this stuff with ODC or how it’s still functioning despite all that’s going on. What was the outcome of the meeting convened by the Captain of the Parish?