The bad & good parts of Isle of man

yungswede

21 hours ago, yungswede said:

Hi! I am a random guy from Sweden that might to move to isle of man with some friends in the future😀
I was just wondering as the title says, What Towns / areas in isle of man are not recommended to live in / go to & what areas are considered more Rich / Safe? 🤔

I’d actually say it’s only Douglas town centre itself that can can be a bit dodgy at night, unfortunately you do get the odd idiot that is spoiling for a fight, it’s often drugs/drink related, during the day though there is almost zero issues whatsoever.

Safest/Richest area is probably somewhere like Sulby/Ballaugh, but just outside of Douglas there is the likes of Mount Rule, mostly big detached houses and horsey types that live there, if you like keeping up with the neighbours and buying a new Range Rover every year or two that’s probably the place for you.

On 7/31/2021 at 12:07 PM, yungswede said:

Hi! I am a random guy from Sweden that might to move to isle of man with some friends in the future😀
I was just wondering as the title says, What Towns / areas in isle of man are not recommended to live in / go to & what areas are considered more Rich / Safe? 🤔

Jurby is quiet. Bit out of the way.

Edited by Chie
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2021 at 12:16 PM, GD4ELI said:

Apart from Peel. Random attacks do happen, often outside pubs.

Fisticuffs outside drinking establishments have happened since drinking establishments were established. Everywhere. 

On 8/12/2021 at 2:13 AM, Gladys said:

My great grandmother was tried for assaulting another woman with a piece of beef in the old Fairyground in the late 19th century.  She was found not guilty.  We're over it now. 

My mother told me about that, passed down from her father and grandfather! Big news at the time ;) 

Edited by Max Power
  • Haha 2

If you do actually live in Sweden you’d be better staying there especially if you live somewhere nice like Stockholm. And if you like nice jumpers maybe Fair Isle will suit you better. Or Shetland where once a year they wear the same hats as you and burn a boat. Then get pissed.

Try a year on Gotland or Öland. See if you can cope with Island life. Although öland is a cheat with the Alkmar bridge and being flat.

IoM, you might find language a struggle. The dialect of English here will mean that your perfect English is unintelligible.

Nothing is far from anywhere, however, there’s a psychological block that means the concept of Douglas to Ramsey (20km) takes on the mantle of Malmö to Kiruna.

In the centre you’ll find a Thing, just like at Uppsala.

Public transport is good. Ferry fares are high. You’ll find our roads familiar. Even our main roads are like your forest gravel roads, but with added pot holes.

• Like 1