Jump to content

Elon Musk‘s Starlink sets up shop on the Isle of Man


Amadeus
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SleepyJoe said:

Who are these negative bolshy Socialist Manxies?

Musk will never come here - he'd be gaoled for possession by the authorities

The usual suspects that post on IOMNP Facebook page 24/7. The same ones who complain eternally about developers etc, climate change, politicos and Tynpotwald.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

Fully aware of that thanks.

Doesn’t mean that if done properly and efficiently it can’t open a conversation with people within the organisation to seek the benefits of doing more on the island with them

What do we actually have to offer?

The sky? A couple of submarine cables to the UK and Ireland? Being in the middle? That's the reason Starlink are setting up some kit on the island.

We don't encourage knowledge and skill retention on the Island.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SleepyJoe said:

We must have something if Musk can do uplink from here

Unless he's providing the tech himself

They'll have installed their own transmitters/receivers.

You just need a spot with some fibre-optic cable, electricity and as broad a view of the sky as possible.

There's a picture on MR comments that looks to be the antenna. They look to be the same setup as Starlink ground stations elsewhere.

226039326_10157858661426829_2389862095143381840_n.jpg.b76e515c0bf9bcc14723be25642386d4.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The usual suspects that post on IOMNP Facebook page 24/7. The same ones who complain eternally about developers etc, climate change, politicos and Tynpotwald.


Them fuckers who complain about greenfield development, climate response delay, unelected Tynwald members law making, & actions of a government without mandate?

Awful shower

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

What do we actually have to offer?

That’s the spirit 😂, and also the issue summed up right there.

The island has loads to offer.  We have many advantages over others due to our small size and agile government (in theory)

They might not all be evident at first glance but as an island we keep saying “what do we actually have to offer” rather than “let’s think about all the things we could offer” we will continue to miss out on loads of opportunities.

There are great skills here in telecoms, IoT etc and there could be loads more.  An ideal test bed and proving ground for loads of stuff.

There is quite a bit of LoRa stuff going on over here amongst many other things.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

Some woman on Strand St handed me a leaflet the other day pointing out how 5G will kill us all off within 25 years.

Wonder what leaflets will come for MuskNet?

Are these people aware that there is already 5G on Strand Street?  Idiots

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Being in the middle?

Forget "Freedom to Flourish", and "Where You Can", that's our next slogan right there. For variety, we could adapt the line from Thelma and Louise: "We're not in the middle of nowhere, but we can see it from here."

All it needs is some sort of visual bullseye metaphor and we're away!

NINTCHDBPICT000659587264.jpg

Edited by Sheldon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

Forget "Freedom to Flourish", and "Where You Can", that's our next slogan right there. For variety, we could adapt the line from Thelma and Louise: "We're not in the middle of nowhere, but we can see it from here."

All it needs is some sort of visual bullseye metaphor and we're away!

NINTCHDBPICT000659587264.jpg

We have plenty of bullshit!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

That’s the spirit 😂, and also the issue summed up right there.

The island has loads to offer.  We have many advantages over others due to our small size and agile government (in theory)

They might not all be evident at first glance but as an island we keep saying “what do we actually have to offer” rather than “let’s think about all the things we could offer” we will continue to miss out on loads of opportunities.

There are great skills here in telecoms, IoT etc and there could be loads more.  An ideal test bed and proving ground for loads of stuff.

There is quite a bit of LoRa stuff going on over here amongst many other things.

Realistically, the Island isn't set up for foundational research. You've got huge hubs of skill in places like Manchester and Dublin, with multi-national companies throwing hundreds of millions into facilities and staff.

So, you have to attract the companies.

What is there to entice a PhD researcher here? Unless they're looking to settle somewhere down safe for the kids.

The companies being here may attract the staff, but will it keep them here?

The IOMG tries quite hard to attract tech business over here already, and to try and help it where they can. But you'd need a sustainable and long-term strategy to really establish the Island in the research sector. We'd need to have more appeal than just being a geographically diverse small test-bed.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...