Unelected Councillor Wants to Slash Public Services

AlanShimmin

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No they ended up in office because not enough other people stood.  Why didn't YOU stand, then? 

(Who withdrew by the way, Amadeus?  Technically it's public information, but of course DBC never publish anything).

There's no obligation to stand in order to have a view on this. 

16 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

To elect someone as Council Leader who has no public mandate is incredibly out of touch. It would be like having an MLC as Chief Minister. 

On an historical note this happened as recently as 2004 when Donald Gelling MLC took over after Richard Corkill had to step down.  And though he was an MHK before being elected to LegCo, he was unopposed in 2001 in his constituency.  In fact the only times I know of where all Keys constituencies were contested were in 2011 and 2016.

Are you suggesting that if Allinson and Hooper continue to be unopposed in Ramsey, neither should be allowed to be considered for CM?

• Like 1

I view DBC as similar to the IOMG CS, very out of touch, over staffed and on excellent pay rates/pension benefits. If they wish to save money then they need to look at the workforce rather than cutting the public services.  I am a Douglas rate payer and it is clear DBC is in need of long needed review of staffing and estate management.  The complaints re IOM CS employees is equal in context to DBC.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Are you suggesting that if Allinson and Hooper continue to be unopposed in Ramsey, neither should be allowed to be considered for CM?

I'd suggest that. 

But i'd suggest that even if someone stands against them.

• Like 3

If Douglas Corpy could sort out their business acumen, they wouldn't need to make cuts.

They were making a loss on their car parks, because they couldn't manage to administer them properly. Car Parks! A licence to print money and they were too disorganised to ensure that people were paying! 

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No they ended up in office because not enough other people stood.  Why didn't YOU stand, then? 

(Who withdrew by the way, Amadeus?  Technically it's public information, but of course DBC never publish anything).

Carol Crawley withdrew. I get what AS is trying to say but as you said, anyone could have stood. Easy to snipe from the sidelines and complain. The rules are there and clear.

There is a problem with local politics and the fact people only care about it when the rates bill comes through or the evil corpy proposes to empty bins bi weekly instead of weekly. Just look at how many uncontested seats there were across the island and how low turnout was in most. It's seriously unsexy to be involved in all this stuff, I get it, and I'm the first to say it needs reform. Luckily I'm far from the only one saying so. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

If Douglas Corpy could sort out their business acumen, they wouldn't need to make cuts.

They were making a loss on their car parks, because they couldn't manage to administer them properly. Car Parks! A licence to print money and they were too disorganised to ensure that people were paying! 

I hate that you're making me defend them, but they were losing money on the car parks that they were running for the DoI who refused to reduce the rent they were charging to DBC, despite Covid.  I mean they were probably running them uselessly anyway, but the hand-back was due to the DoI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Anyway, just how much crap do you generate to need weekly collections?

If you live in LA/Social housing it's quite easy to achieve for some reason?

ETA: Cue a massive increase in fly-tipping.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

My bin is rarely full for the weekly collection, in fact I am not putting it out for collection tomorrow,  it can wait until next week.  I do recycle all that I can so it works fine.

Over 20 years ago, the London borough I then lived in moved to fortnightly collections alternating one week for the bin for recyclables and the next for other non-recyclables.  You didn't have to sort the recycling, just could not put glass in.  It felt a bit strange at first, but worked well. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's not the fly tipping, more the plastic bags of excess rubbish which will surround the bins and attract the gulls. This ends up getting scattered around and it becomes nobody's responsibility to clear it up! 

I hate the sight of wheelie bins around to place, even less plastic bags and rubbish. 

The bin men (women) in my area won't walk up the lane, so we have to bring the bins to the end and they lay around in huge groups awaiting collection, Then we have to rely on people collecting the bins in order to get down the lane. Now we could be faced with bin mayhem and bags everywhere and split open, despite paying full rates. So we will not be getting the same value in future!

26 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's because of all the ready meal and takeaway wrapping!

Not forgetting the Amazon parcels.

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Carol Crawley withdrew. I get what AS is trying to say but as you said, anyone could have stood. Easy to snipe from the sidelines and complain. The rules are there and clear.

There is a problem with local politics and the fact people only care about it when the rates bill comes through or the evil corpy proposes to empty bins bi weekly instead of weekly. Just look at how many uncontested seats there were across the island and how low turnout was in most. It's seriously unsexy to be involved in all this stuff, I get it, and I'm the first to say it needs reform. Luckily I'm far from the only one saying so. 

You've done a great job of highlighting just how broken the current system is. 

Nobody is interested in this stuff because we simply don't need 12 people to 'run' Douglas (or any part of the island).

12 people are enough to manage the current total local authority functions across the island. 

Housing, libraries and car parks all need stripping from LAs. 

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The two individuals were as democratically elected as they could have been given the circumstances.

And that's the crux of the matter - a monumental fuck up by the DOI Minister resulting in people being refused their human right to vote, tied to a system that is so unfit for purpose that people don't bother voting. 

That's far away from being truly democratic.