How did MR carry an untrue story that the Medical Director had been fired for giving evidence to Tynwald PAC

buncha wankas

2 hours ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

Too closely allied to Howard Quayle (apparently).

That’s bad news. Anyone allied with that waster is to be doubted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

Why not Julie Edge?

I don’t think she’s that close to Howard, if it’s a female then Clare Barber is the one. However depending on results I think 2/3 females in Comin would be good.

Still think Chris Thomas is a good compromise bet

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Banker said:

compromise

And this is the problem.  With the current system I think we are likely to get a chief minister who is the least disliked, rather than preferred by the most.  Reminds me of a couple I once knew - she wanted to spend a year in the US, he in Australia, so they compromised on Canada - a place that was fine, but where neither of them really wanted to be.

I'd like to see a directly elected CM with candidates declaring beforehand, and the vote being in parallel to the election of MHKs.  And, and this is quite important to overcome the 'who does he think he is' factor, the winning candidate wouldn't necessarily have to be returned as an MHK.  I could certainly see a situation where someone wins a whole island vote but doesn't get in locally, and this would not necessarily be a bad thing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

Why not Julie Edge?

JPW isn't. She deliberately was not a member of the Government. Offered sensible solutions and compromises in Tynwald and Legco. Ideal as a leader and very articulate. She would be a massive upgrade on what we have had over the last two decades. So she doesn't stand a chance.

As for JE that is not a good idea at all. Just listen to a Tynwald sitting.

6 hours ago, Banker said:

Still think Chris Thomas is a good compromise bet

Pretty sure he wouldn't consider himself one. A very intelligent man but a nightmare to listen to. Policy and Reform suited him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why shouldn’t the members elect their own leader?

They are the ones who know them best.

We elect the members, so why would we not trust them to identify the person they trust?

Why foist upon them someone they may think unsuitable?

Ah yes.... like last time when the President of Tynwald ignored and overrode protocol and procedure so that "members", doubtless encouraged by you CS types foisted Quayle upon the GMP.

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Ah yes.... like last time when the President of Tynwald ignored and overrode protocol and procedure so that "members", doubtless encouraged by you CS types foisted Quayle upon the GMP.

Sorry, don’t understand this. Why would, and how, “CS types” foist Quayle upon the GMp.

It seems you have a greater understanding of constitutional procedures than myself I really would appreciate an explanation 

47 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Nice to see you’ve not lost your touch for reasoned argument.

I could out argue you whilst I was asleep sunshine; I simply choose not to bother because you’re a fatuous waste of time.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why shouldn’t the members elect their own leader?

They are the ones who know them best.

We elect the members, so why would we not trust them to identify the person they trust?

Why foist upon them someone they may think unsuitable?

Because they have handed over power and control to one person.  Are the members best placed to know the person best?

It also depends on what 'unsuitable' really means. Someone who upsets the apple cart?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

It was a new procedure that got Quayle elected. It was invented by Chris Thomas, probably deliberately designed by him to confuse voting and put the blame on Legco. Why? Because when Legco inevitably embarrassed itself (as it always did back then) he could push through Cannan's failed Council of Ministers Bill so that Keys alone elected the Chief Minister (believe me this isn't actually as far fetched as it sounds). 

Anyway long story short it wasn't the President's fault it was Thomas's.