Jump to content

How did MR carry an untrue story that the Medical Director had been fired for giving evidence to Tynwald PAC


buncha wankas
 Share

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Should the lack of democracy in the choosing of our government of the day be an issue of good governance in which the Governator should involve himself?

No because he is completely unelected & appointed by the crown at great expense to Manx taxpayers & is the complete opposite of democracy!!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, quilp said:

Indeed he isn’t - Ramsay’s analysis of the local political scene is consistently the best on offer and accurate 95% of the time. As this particular article shows. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But as we know from Dr Ranson's evidence, good governance on the Isle of Man is defined as doing what the English do but later.  So following the same same system as they do must be impeccable.

Good governance is not so much about the decisions made, but how they are made.  It is also about upholding principles of irreproachable fair dealing, honesty and integrity.  If the system you have to make decisions cannot support those principles, then it is broken. 

Just in case anyone needs a crib sheet for cross examining the candidates who call on them, these are the 7 Nolan Principles of Public Life:-

Honesty

Openness

Integrity 

Accountability

Selflessness

Objectivity

Leadership 

Ask yourself if they understand them and, more importantly, how they intend to adhere to them if elected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Our method of choosing a government is broken - there is no social contract with the electorate, & therefore - it is suggested - senior CS bods can boss CoMin members about no end

Not so sure the method is broken Joe, there is very little choice when actually selecting a candidate and you can only choose from what is available. Perhaps prospective candidates should be made to sit some sort of examination to determine their own suitability? They can then make a decision on whether they feel that they still want to proceed or not.   

CS bods are supposedly the professionals, they can easily play the 'we've always done it this way and that's what works' card. An elected accountant, banker or chimney sweep has no real experience in some of the nuts and bolts issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Not so sure the method is broken Joe, there is very little choice when actually selecting a candidate and you can only choose from what is available. Perhaps prospective candidates should be made to sit some sort of examination to determine their own suitability? They can then make a decision on whether they feel that they still want to proceed or not.   

CS bods are supposedly the professionals, they can easily play the 'we've always done it this way and that's what works' card. An elected accountant, banker or chimney sweep has no real experience in some of the nuts and bolts issues.


it's not the method of selecting a candidate that is broken

It is the method of selecting a government, or not as the case may in fact be

No public mandate, no mission to govern

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:


it's not the method of selecting a candidate that is broken

It is the method of selecting a government, or not as the case may in fact be

No public mandate, no mission to govern

But the very fact that they have been duly elected gives them a public mandate? We are in effect giving those elected permission to elect a CM, who then picks his ministers from those elected. 

The problem is that we have 24 disparate people bumbling around, trying to convince each other that we should be doing this or that. We do need party politics with a clear manifesto for each. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Well, Josem is unable to release the names of those bankrolling MTA due to data protection.  Not standing up well against the 7 principles. 

There's a bit of a fuss about this but I'm not sure it matters much who pays the costs? It's not a political party, it's not putting Josem up as a candidate because that's not what they seem to be about? As far as I can see, all they do is draw attention to government spending concerns, such as the buses, prom and Liverpool landing whatever it is? Isn't that what our MHKs are meant to be doing anyway, and we do enough yabbering on about it on here? 

If the MTP uncover anything juicy, I would certainly hope that every MHK would be asking questions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

A good point to a degree, but if you don't think you are the best for the job, what would you do?  The candidates should abstain, IMHO,  as they have an interest in the matter. 

It’s never going to affect the results though. 

Last time would be 2, 8, 11

 

Edited by 747-400
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Max Power said:

But the very fact that they have been duly elected gives them a public mandate? We are in effect giving those elected permission to elect a CM, who then picks his ministers from those elected. 

The problem is that we have 24 disparate people bumbling around, trying to convince each other that we should be doing this or that. We do need party politics with a clear manifesto for each. 


If that were the case - & I don't see it - then prospective Keys members would surely have to consult their electorate on who they should vote for as CM if they happened to be elected

Hardly anyone wanted Harmer or Boot to vote for Howard Quayle but the t***s did so regardless

There is a clear conservative group out there led by Cannan - they should put together a detailed Agenda For Change so voters know what to expect if these chancers get into government yet again

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...