Shortage of GPs

cissolt

42 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But women between 50 and 70 have screening every three years. Why not for men? https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/120417brca1brca2.pdf

Different diseases. Screening can cause harm too. Even breast screening has a downside with some women undergoing surgery which turns out to be unnecessary. Prostate cancer screening is even more finely balanced such that on the NHS there’s no official programme as it’s not of proven utility. 

3 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Well quite. I imagine you're often to be found examining your own prostate gland. 

Examining ones own own prostate is a vastly under-rated procedure. Some might say pastime. 

Edited by Danoo
  • Haha 1

I can only speak from my own experience (working in Liverpool), but one of the problems I have noticed during the pandemic is more stuff is being pushed back to GPs during the pandemic. Things like "please organise these blood tests before my next clinic", or "we found this problem please refer to x" or my personal favourite was "this lady is unsafe at home, please sort out social care". None of these things are a big deal on an individual level, but when they come in the 10s per day. The hub and spoke model definitely needs some alteration. 

There's also the problem of longer waiting lists leaving a fire fighting situation until definitive treatments. Then patients booking an appointment to know when their next hospital appointment is. 

I think having a social worker embedded in a GP surgery would be more beneficial, and perhaps a bit more mental health integration. We're trialing a physiotherapy first point of access clinic, I like the idea but even my limited knowledge of shoulder anatomy better than navigating social care. I don't think it needs to be x-ray/ultrasound on site as the article suggests, if you need results that quickly you probably shouldn't be seeing some one in primary care. 

Lots of people are retiring early or going part-time straight away after qualifying negating any increase in training numbers. I don't know how to fix it, but it's going to take years.  I imagine at least some of these apply to the IoM 

• Like 3

I don't know how to fix it, but it's going to take years.  I imagine at least some of these apply to the IoM. 

Not necessarily. 

My nephew is a GP. The insights provided from recent discussion highlight reinforce to me the imbalance between primary and secondary care sectors has been and is a growing problem. There are easier solutions but whether Manx Care could consider a more patient focussed solution in taking take a more collaborative approach than what I think it is capable of achieving. We shall see.

However, :

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/surgery-left-extremely-understaffed-after-partners-leave/

The practice states it is a funding issue and Manx Care will support them by locum medical staff and with nursing staff.

The absence of the usual political oversight at the moment the DHSC strategy for a more sustainable solution to the GP issue is evident.

53 minutes ago, Apple said:

I don't know how to fix it, but it's going to take years.  I imagine at least some of these apply to the IoM. 

Not necessarily. 

My nephew is a GP. The insights provided from recent discussion highlight reinforce to me the imbalance between primary and secondary care sectors has been and is a growing problem. There are easier solutions but whether Manx Care could consider a more patient focussed solution in taking take a more collaborative approach than what I think it is capable of achieving. We shall see.

However, :

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/surgery-left-extremely-understaffed-after-partners-leave/

The practice states it is a funding issue and Manx Care will support them by locum medical staff and with nursing staff.

The absence of the usual political oversight at the moment the DHSC strategy for a more sustainable solution to the GP issue is evident.

They say it’s a funding issue so shortage of GPS but spend extra £3.5m pa on extra management salaries for Manx Care creation!!

Have any jobs been reduced at DHSC to compensate? , does the medical director of health have a role now ? Perhaps she & some of the numerous medically qualified managers could assist?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

On a serious note. Due to my age I have been sent ( uninvited) a kit to send samples of my “stools” (shall we say) to be put in the post for analysis to see if I may possibly have bowel cancer.

Not quite sure of the logistics of doing this but I will overcome that.

I am very grateful for the NHS.

All over 60s get them every 2 years! Any issues you’ll get an appointment for a camera up your arse which is not fun!!

Edited by Banker
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

On a serious note. Due to my age I have been sent ( uninvited) a kit to send samples of my “stools” (shall we say) to be put in the post for analysis to see if I may possibly have bowel cancer.

Not quite sure of the logistics of doing this but I will overcome that.

I am very grateful for the NHS.

stick some dog shit in it and see what they say you've got.

• Haha 2