International travel

Dunroamin

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-drivers-may-need-international-permit-in-europe/

This article and Steve Colley’s IOM vaccination certificate not being accepted raises some serious questions for international travellers.

1. appears IOM  government is leaving it to individuals to ascertain whether car drivers need to ensure their cars have the correct National stickers. Hitherto, we could use GBM rather than GB stickers but those are now having to be replaced by U.K. stickers due to EU vindictiveness. “It is understood” GBM is still acceptable!! However, meet up with officious Mr Plod in Spain or France who has never heard of the IOM, and who is on commission for raising revenue, you are unlikely to escape without a fine. But then if you use a U.K. sticker and meet another Mr Plod who DOES know the IOM is not a part of the U.K., you get fined.

2. there is little to no doubt that IDLs are going to be required.

3. how do you know that your Manx Vaccine certificate is going to be accepted if even Guernsey refuses to recognise them? Remember, if they are not recognised you could be put into quarantine on arrival for seven to ten days and after to pay for it!!

On all this Government is washing its hands and expecting each individual to make their own enquiries. If you can get through to any embassy or consulate to ask the question, are they likely to know of the IOM and if so that it is not part of the U.K.? Will they bother to investigate every individual enquiry? 

The U.K. is paid to look after our defence and international relationships so exactly why is this Government  - read CS - not getting on with their jobs, contacting the U.K. government, getting answers and informing the Manx Public?

• Like 5

Fun fact: you always needed an international license to drive in the EU. The IOM one wasn’t accepted even before brexit. 

Vaccine certificates are a pain yes. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Non-recognition of certification? But how can this happen to a jurisdiction that's a player on the international world stage.....

Are you having a laugh? Player on the International World Player. Our Clowns couldn’t perform on the Calf!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Fun fact: you always needed an international license to drive in the EU. The IOM one wasn’t accepted even before brexit. 

Don't know about that mate.

Been stopped twice in Germany travelling to various Esport events to participate. 

Both times accepted the Driver's License no questions asked spot on. 

Don't know whether being in my 2016 C63S AMG influenced the ease of the traffic stop.

They probably thought I was a legend. 

This is one of this governments biggest fuck ups. 

In my opinion there are two fundamental things that a govt should concentrate upon:

1) Providing functional infrastructure.  Roads, medical etc etc.  Unfortunately appears to be failing, but I admit this is a complicated matter.

2) The second, which is surely much easier, is the representation and protection of its residents internationally.  

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

I have used my IoM licence without any problems in Italy, France, Spain, Canada and the US - all in hire cars.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dunroamin said:

If you can get through to any embassy or consulate to ask the question, are they likely to know of the IOM and if so that it is not part of the U.K.? Will they bother to investigate every individual enquiry? 

I've already had a very close shave of not getting into and back from the Middle East with the Manx Care letter, PCR 'certificate' which runs onto two pages, half-populated NHS app and PHE-England-adopted-by-IoM handwritten card. That was in early July, a week or so after Mr Creosote had promised that everything would be sorted out 'shortly'. I am very concerned that my luck will run out at some point during upcoming work trips. 

They can't even come up with a QR code linked letter back to a gov.im URL that would at least lend a modicum of credibility to their unsigned and unstamped documentation.

Utterly hopeless. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hugh G Rection said:

David Ashford is an MBE? Clearly not a clown???

i thought i'd google to see if a clown had ever received an mbe just to piss on your chips,  the following pic says it all , not quite the correct award but hey,  i'm still laughing.    

Image1.jpg

Edited by WTF

57 minutes ago, Hugh G Rection said:

Don't know about that mate.

Been stopped twice in Germany travelling to various Esport events to participate. 

Both times accepted the Driver's License no questions asked spot on. 

Don't know whether being in my 2016 C63S AMG influenced the ease of the traffic stop.

They probably thought I was a legend. 

They probably thought you were an Autoposer, as Police there call people with AMG Mercs, and when they noticed you weren’t 19 and leasing the car between five different cousins and brothers, they let you go :) 

I’ve used my Manx license there a lot as well, including to rent cars. Trust me, you should have had an international one but everyone thinks it’s a British license and never checks. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WTF said:

i thought i'd google to see if a clown had ever received an mbe just to piss on your chips,  the following pic says it all , not quite the correct award but hey,  i'm still laughing.    

Image1.jpg

Sarcasm is lost on you my friend 🤣

The IDP was never an issue in Spain - never needed one. Wouldn’t risk it now. 

Of course, you can take comfort in the knowledge the IOM one is twice the price of the UK version.

folk are right about getting stuff like this sorted. Making the place difficult to live on because of travel restrictions is not a good USP

4 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Fun fact but wrong- Spent many years in Europe and was stopped (to have papers inspected) many times and Manx licence accepted ALWAYS! Also you have obviously not hired a car in Europe as I did three weeks ago with Manx licence!!