Jump to content

International travel


Dunroamin
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Sorry, you are wrong on the first part. I hired a car on a Manx Licence in Spain and Cyprus on multiple occasions.

Legally Amadeus is correct. However the IDP issued were invalid. They were issuing 3 year ones under the most recent convention, whereas it’s the 1949/66 conventions that extend to IOM. Those only allowed a 1 year IDP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

The IDP was never an issue in Spain - never needed one. Wouldn’t risk it now. 

Of course, you can take comfort in the knowledge the IOM one is twice the price of the UK version.

folk are right about getting stuff like this sorted. Making the place difficult to live on because of travel restrictions is not a good USP

Did you know, Del, that you can walk into a UK post office with your IOM driving licence, a passport photo,  and passport and get a UK IDP for 3 years for £6.50.  So Heysham is nearest.

0305CEAF-FCAF-45AD-8700-9C1CBE02B6B4.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

This presumably was the car you had to spend an inordinate amount of money (12k) because you had to have a car that was safe?

If I remember your first post correctly.

That post was actually on behalf of a colleague due to their sheer unwillingness to sign up to this shithousery of an environment.

I didn't realise that it had to be declared.

Apologies in advance for any confusion my friend. 

Friends? ❤️ 

Edited by Hugh G Rection
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Did you know, Del, that you can walk into a UK post office with your IOM driving licence, a passport photo,  and passport and get a UK IDP for 3 years for £6.50.  So Heysham is nearest.

0305CEAF-FCAF-45AD-8700-9C1CBE02B6B4.jpeg

In the words of Michael Caine  "noralora people know dat"

Makes the Manx one even more of an outrage

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

I've already had a very close shave of not getting into and back from the Middle East with the Manx Care letter, PCR 'certificate' which runs onto two pages, half-populated NHS app and PHE-England-adopted-by-IoM handwritten card. That was in early July, a week or so after Mr Creosote had promised that everything would be sorted out 'shortly'. I am very concerned that my luck will run out at some point during upcoming work trips. 

They can't even come up with a QR code linked letter back to a gov.im URL that would at least lend a modicum of credibility to their unsigned and unstamped documentation.

Yep hence this thread

 

I just want the least grief at international borders and other places requiring vax confirmation (who wouldn't). However....someone in Primary Care gave me the heads up months and months ago as to why Manx resident users of the NHS app would not be able access all the NHS app (eg this subsequently available QR. )

Much of this was later confirmed in the dialogue that thread but way before all that I was given the name of a CS so I emailed him for clarification.

There followed a very prompt "first name terms" response acknowledging the issue but pointing out it wasn't his specific responsibility.

I politely replied asking who was responsible - no reply

I chased this up a week or two back with polite but more direct language - no reply

 

In the short time I worked for the Manx Government 30 years ago , I would never have just ignored a letter/email from joe public yet this now seems to be the way to dodge stuff you don't want to deal with.

 

 

International Travel by Dunroamin. ?😀 fabulous...

 

 

Edited by ballaughbiker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

n the short time I worked for the Manx Government 30 years ago , I would never have just ignored a letter/email from joe public yet this now seems to be the way to dodge stuff you don't want to deal with.

Certainly you need this trait for a job in cabinet office, DOI or communications !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

In the words of Michael Caine  "noralora people know dat"

Makes the Manx one even more of an outrage

And you noticed they omitted GBA from that list?

Alderney suffers from something similar to Miss IOM syndrome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hugh G Rection said:

That post was actually on behalf of a colleague due to their sheer unwillingness to sign up to this shithousery of an environment.

I didn't realise that it had to be declared.

Apologies in advance for any confusion my friend. 

Friends? ❤️ 

That makes sense now. Thank you for your explanation.

It didn’t have to be declared but it would have avoided this confusion if you had prefaced your post by saying it was on behalf of a (unamed) friend rather than writing it in the first person.

Anyway no matter

I hope your colleagues housing position will improve and he will get to spend more time with his daughter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

That makes sense now. Thank you for your explanation.

It didn’t have to be declared but it would have avoided this confusion if you had prefaced your post by saying it was on behalf of a (unamed) friend rather than writing it in the first person.

Anyway no matter

I hope your colleagues housing position will improve and he will get to spend more time with his daughter.

You did not answer whether or not we were Friends ❤️ again after me calling you a twat the other day.

I promise it was nothing personal I just hadn't had my Red Bull for the day and I had unfortunately drove past Tim Baker in his brown suit and his smirky little twatface on Victoria Street just prior to my outburst. 

You were doomed from the get-go. 

Edited by Hugh G Rection
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Hugh G Rection said:

You did not answer whether or not we were Friends ❤️ again after me calling you a twat the other day.

I promise it was nothing personal I just hadn't had my Red Bull for the day and I had unfortunately drove past Tim Baker in his brown suit and his smirky little twatface on Victoria Street just prior to my outburst. 

You were doomed from the get-go. 

I can assure you that if I took offense at every insult I have received on here I would be in a state of permanent umbrage.

I don’t give it a second thought and never considered myself “doomed”

If you want to consider us friends (again?!!) then I don’t have a problem with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2021 at 7:26 PM, Dunroamin said:

Fun fact but wrong- Spent many years in Europe and was stopped (to have papers inspected) many times and Manx licence accepted ALWAYS! Also you have obviously not hired a car in Europe as I did three weeks ago with Manx licence!!

Not quite dun yet then?

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...