In The Modern World, Is the Isle of Man Fit to govern Itself?

Boris Johnson

1 hour ago, code99 said:

The current political system was designed in different times for a different bygone age and is approaching its ‘use by’ date, IMHO. The dilemma is that this outdated layout still suits a large proportion of the GMP who don’t wish anything to change, until some kind of major ‘event’ foists unavoidable change upon them. Then the blame game will begin: “why no one saw the crisis coming...”.

The IOM needs politicians with foresight to plan the future; to put their heads above the parapet and call for reforms before it becomes too late. They need to weigh the pros and cons of reforming our political system and our economy versus doing nothing, and risking being swept aside by the events beyond our control.

Well, the land owning Manx 'elites' were never going to hand over real power to the great unwashed. The system was carefully designed with a veneer of democracy. You are right that it needs revision, and all attempts to do so have been thwarted, the most recent being the ill fated Lisvane review. Handed to Cretney to get rid of, another puppet of the establishment who mocked him!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Max Power said:

it needs revision, and all attempts to do so have been thwarted, the most recent being the ill fated Lisvane review. Handed to Cretney to get rid of, another puppet of the establishment who mocked him!  

It saddens me that Cretney is the dominant personality in the MLP☹️. In my opinion he undermines the possibility of anything progressive ever happening.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, code99 said:

It saddens me that Cretney is the dominant personality in the MLP☹️. In my opinion he undermines the possibility of anything progressive ever happening.

I assume that has changed in the last few years, even though he still seems to think he is somehow important.  He nearly managed to kill the MLP off (membership was down to under 20) but they are starting to win elections and it wouldn't surprise me to see them get MHKs this time.

• Thanks 1

One of the larger challenges facing the UK recently has been the reported vast sums of money being paid to companies run by political 'friends'.

Lobbying by ex Ministers and the awarding of large financial contracts to those close to Government has come under fire, particularly now large profits and remunerations are being announced.

Can, or does it happen here on the island.? On a large scale probably not. But does political favouritism / influence happen?  

Registering business interests for politicians does not necessarily prevent the impression, if that is what it is, that there is no conflict or preferences given to anyone, either Inside or outside of the government systems. 

'Influence" can be a potent force, sometimes in play unknowingly, but I think is an unspoken dynamic that rarely gets acknowledged. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

One of the larger challenges facing the UK recently has been the reported vast sums of money being paid to companies run by political 'friends'.

Lobbying by ex Ministers and the awarding of large financial contracts to those close to Government has come under fire, particularly now large profits and remunerations are being announced.

Can, or does it happen here on the island.? On a large scale probably not. But does political favouritism / influence happen?

£7M+ to farmers and landowners is a good indicator

• Like 7

4 hours ago, code99 said:

Don’t agree. He is not establishment by any means. And irrespective of what you think of him the Island is in his heart , and I like that. And he cares about those who need help and support and that can only be a good thing. I’ve only met him once so  don’t really know him. But I could tell , don’t know how, but he was not in it for the money. He genuinely cared and though he could change things for the better. Sadly , he could not.

8 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Don’t agree. He is not establishment by any means. And irrespective of what you think of him the Island is in his heart , and I like that. And he cares about those who need help and support and that can only be a good thing. I’ve only met him once so  don’t really know him. But I could tell , don’t know how, but he was not in it for the money. He genuinely cared and though he could change things for the better. Sadly , he could not.

I don't doubt it, but a well intentioned fool can do an awful lot of damage, given the power to do so. 

I don't think he does consider himself part of the establishment, but that is what he was.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Anyone said:

He is not establishment by any means. And irrespective of what you think of him the Island is in his heart, and I like that. And he cares about those who need help and support and that can only be a good thing.

I don’t really know him...

Pardon me but it really sounds like you do 😁

• Like 1

I said this before. The problem will be that an increasing percentage of successful candidates will want to be those who don't want the responsibility of governing but just want to stand in opposition, question everything and deal with Mr & Mrs C/K/Q's planning/parking/bins issue.

Governing a 'country' is hard, immersing yourself in local minutiae is easy. You can spot those who can't do the former a mile off... there's enough of them.

• Like 5