Noel Cringle Former President RIP

It was announced on the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece earlier today that the Former Tynpotwald President Noel Cringle OBE has died at the age of 83. Compared to the current crop of MLCs and last shower of MHKs, he was amongst the last of what could be described as ‘old school politician’. He was elected twice to the role, unlikely others. A tribute by the current El Presidente Skelly was realeased. Former Chief Minister Sir Miles Walker was interviewed for the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece. A curious observation, where was HRH The Chief Minister’s tribute? Or is HRH The Chief Minister still continuing his feud?

The gent who gave us the quote that, "Tynwald was like the best Club in the World".

RIP

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Thanks 2

Like I said upon opening the thread, he was an old school person, unlike some of the new breed of MHK, who lack manners and respect. Despite not knowing him, I got the impression that he had a sense of community, and also cared for the island and good governance. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Perhaps leave out the political backbiting?

I know very little of him, (I must have been elsewhere when he was most active) but have to say he looks the part, much like other of his contemporaries. 

RIP

He was active in Tynwald 1974 to 2011. With a gap of 5 years. You must have been absent for many many years.

24 minutes ago, John Wright said:

He was active in Tynwald 1974 to 2011. With a gap of 5 years. You must have been absent for many many years.

I wasn't interested in politics at 14, and can barely remember anything of him since returning in 2002! Perhaps he was low key as President. 

13 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I wasn't interested in politics at 14, and can barely remember anything of him since returning in 2002! Perhaps he was low key as President. 

My memory is probably clearer as my father lived opposite Noel and Mary, and one of his sons lived next door.

I was Secretary of LCK for several years, when Noel was Chairman. He was later President of LCK.

He got on with the job. Blunt, direct, measured. Same when he was speaker. Non of the airs and graces of Rodan or Watterson.

Moffatt has done a very good obit and tribute. He knew Noel when they were chairs of the opposite sides, employers and employees, of Whitley Council. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Noel Cringle  was not an attention seeker  or a Granny Farmer , he was dead straight , and would often put civil servants under considerable pressure  to make sure all points had been  properly considered before embarking on expensive schemes , or introducing legislation or policy  that could impact the less well off in our society ,  he was also  a workaholic  a very successful  farmer and buisiness , and sports man and someone who  has done much good for the Island and his fellow man ,   a staunch tee totaler  but always prepared to listen to the other persons point of view , he set his standards by his deep religious belief , and christian principals , which many may find old fashioned  but you could never knock him for his belief ,and the  conviction he was put on this earth to do some good ! for everyone ,  sadly they don't make them like Noel anymore  red meat politicians seem to be a thing of the past ,  but he lived a good clean life  we should leave him to rest in peace ,but remember him with fondness!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

I didn't know Noel Cringle well but I have one anecdote from him. I was in Tynwald making a presentation to MHKs and was greeted by Noel. We were chatting about the subject of the presentation and two, new MHKs turned up and interrupted us with something that was completely unmemorable. As they were leaving Noel remarked that they had only been in Tynwald a very short while but already thought that the island revolved around Tynwald, when of course, it didn't. One of those new MHKs was Juan Watterson, I can't recall the other. Noel Cringle understood the pretensions and limitations of Tynwald and politics; it is a pity so many of the current breed do not. I immediately felt some respect for the man. RIP.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, joebean said:

I didn't know Noel Cringle well but I have one anecdote from him. I was in Tynwald making a presentation to MHKs and was greeted by Noel. We were chatting about the subject of the presentation and two, new MHKs turned up and interrupted us with something that was completely unmemorable. As they were leaving Noel remarked that they had only been in Tynwald a very short while but already thought that the island revolved around Tynwald, when of course, it didn't. One of those new MHKs was Juan Watterson, I can't recall the other. Noel Cringle understood the pretensions and limitations of Tynwald and politics; it is a pity so many of the current breed do not. I immediately felt some respect for the man. RIP.

Your anecdote speaks volumes. Sadly the standards of MHK has gone downhill. I think the MHK of old, knew about standards of behaviour and how to conduct themselves. The likes of Noel Cringle if they responsibility for projects, would keep within budget. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Your anecdote speaks volumes. Sadly the standards of MHK has gone downhill. I think the MHK of old, knew about standards of behaviour and how to conduct themselves. The likes of Noel Cringle if they responsibility for projects, would keep within budget. 

Looking back with an overly nostalgia tinted view there. They've always been wholly self-serving since the Keys creation; it's the nature of the position. Occasionally a few good eggs will appear but mostly they're in it for themselves. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Omobono said:

Noel Cringle  was not an attention seeker  or a Granny Farmer , he was dead straight , and would often put civil servants under considerable pressure  to make sure all points had been  properly considered before embarking on expensive schemes , or introducing legislation or policy  that could impact the less well off in our society ,  he was also  a workaholic  a very successful  farmer and buisiness , and sports man and someone who  has done much good for the Island and his fellow man ,   a staunch tee totaler  but always prepared to listen to the other persons point of view , he set his standards by his deep religious belief , and christian principals , which many may find old fashioned  but you could never knock him for his belief ,and the  conviction he was put on this earth to do some good ! for everyone ,  sadly they don't make them like Noel anymore  red meat politicians seem to be a thing of the past ,  but he lived a good clean life  we should leave him to rest in peace ,but remember him with fondness!

A perfect description of a Manx politician we can actually be proud of.

Having Christian beliefs, whether religious or not is a real good starting point.

Met him on numerous occasions being interviewed by 'The Nations Mouthpiece' (sic), he was simply a gracious man. He would say to me, "call yourself Manx with an accent like that".

Difference was, it would be said with a devilishly warm smile.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sentience said:

"call yourself Manx with an accent like that".

Just as an aside, the problem with judging the degree of Manxness by the strength of the accent is that the contenders for the self-awarded Greatest Living Manxman, all start sounding like affected pantomime dames. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1