800 Billion Pounds.....

ManxTaxPayer

14 minutes ago, Declan said:

Was that transcript by Stanley Unwin?

Yeah it certainly was gobbledygook in places. To be fair I wasn't terribly surprised at how garbled some of the Cowin bits were; he was very difficult to follow in person as he's quite the mumbling waffler. I dread to think what Hansard will be like should he be elected.

But that doesn't excuse mistakes like attributing Wint's questions to Cowin on several occasions for example. Poor editorial oversight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

I'm still thinking he must be talking about the area around the Chickens, just south of the Calf. Don't think local fishermen will be very happy if I'm right. 

There's a meeting on Wednesday at QEII and I'm hoping someone questions him in more depth about how he knows any of this and how reliable his source is. I might even muster the cahones to stand up and ask him myself - I'm not the most confident public speaker, but I really want to know if there's any truth to this or if it's just a cynical attempt to get people to vote for him. 

That transcript says £800 Million?? it is so important not to get Millions and Billions confused! :D

If you do go, tell him the natural gas is 2km below the seabed to the north east of our territorial waters, and estimated to generate in the region of £5Billion to £10Billion in tax revenue for the Treasury over it's 15 year lifecycle.

Also, ask all of the candidates this question....

"Wouldn't it be much easier and quicker to meet our net zero targets with a potential £8bn windfall?"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

That transcript says £800 Million?? it is so important not to get Millions and Billions confused! :D

Thanks for catching that. I went back to fix it and in my defence, it was the autocorrect on my Fire tablet. When I wrote billion it corrected it again to million. My electronic devices like to troll me. 

As for the gas, I'm more interested in the alleged gas reserves in the south as he seems to think fracking wouldn't be involved. I'm not sure I like the idea of fracking off Maughold. 

I'm also not sure I believe him about any of it. I'd like to see some receipts.

Just now, Zarley said:

Thanks for catching that. I went back to fix it and in my defence, it was the autocorrect on my Fire tablet. When I wrote billion it corrected it again to million. My electronic devices like to troll me. 

As for the gas, I'm more interested in the alleged gas reserves in the south as he seems to think fracking wouldn't be involved. I'm not sure I like the idea of fracking off Maughold. 

I'm also not sure I believe him about any of it. I'd like to see some receipts.

No probs..I've no idea what Cowin is on about either, nothing has been proven to the south of the Island that I'm aware, whereby it has in the north east.

I can't scream it loud enough though, extraction off Maughold would  NOT be shale fracking!! :)

The gas is trapped in sandstone deposits, and will flow under it's own pressure and not cause earth tremors.
 See here for differences

No different to what's been done in Morecambe Bay since 1985....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, b4mbi said:

No probs..I've no idea what Cowin is on about either, nothing has been proven to the south of the Island that I'm aware, whereby it has in the north east.

I can't scream it loud enough though, extraction off Maughold would  NOT be shale fracking!! :)

The gas is trapped in sandstone deposits, and will flow under it's own pressure and not cause earth tremors.
 See here for differences

No different to what's been done in Morecambe Bay since 1985....

Thanks for the link/information. Why does everyone seem to mention fracking in the same sentence as off-Maughold? Manx rumour mill? Fake news?  

I would hope Cowin has some evidence to back up his claims about the southwest, otherwise he's going to look like a fantasist at best or a liar at worst. Either way he's screwed if he can't show show some proof. 

21 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Thanks for the link/information. Why does everyone seem to mention fracking in the same sentence as off-Maughold? Manx rumour mill? Fake news?  

Ignorance and laziness. Fake news and rumours. Easy to believe and repeat if it fits your agenda.

Also easy to research if you can be bothered looking.

I highly doubt IOMG would issue an exploration licence if fracking was the extraction method. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Ignorance and laziness. Fake news and rumours. Easy to believe and repeat if it fits your agenda.

Also easy to research if you can be bothered looking.

Guilty as charged I 'spose. 😳

Apart from the agenda bit.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:51 AM, monasqueen said:

As I said earlier - I'm all for making builders put solar panels on all newbuilds. The costs of installation would then be at their minimum.

I have heard a whisper that Insulate Britain ( Isle of Man Branch) are planning some sort of lie down protest at the Broadway roundel.

Make of that what you will.

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2021 at 10:00 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

I have heard a whisper that Insulate Britain ( Isle of Man Branch) are planning some sort of lie down protest at the Broadway roundel.

Make of that what you will.

Most people probably wouldn't notice if they drove straight over them, such is the amount of bumps and obstacles on the new and refurbed prom at the moment.