Jump to content

IOM DHSC & MANX CARE


Cassie2
 Share

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Apple said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/elective-surgery-temporarily-suspended-at-nobles-hospital/

They must have just arrived as the hospital hence the unscheduled announcement. It is a pity there was not enough planning or management time to tell people this was happening as it presumably had been ordered months and months ago.

I hope no-one was prepped for theatre today and then cancelled, that would just be cruel. 

Maybe we are taking time out due to the lack of theatre staff, which would make sense. For those staff due to 'stand down' during these interruptions I assume they are rescheduled to work elsewhere. 

This sounds like a strange reason, surely new equipment being installed would be planned under normal circumstances? Perhaps something vital has failed and requires immediate replacement? If that's the case, they need to sort out their press releases, they are doing nothing for public confidence!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Apple said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/elective-surgery-temporarily-suspended-at-nobles-hospital/

They must have just arrived as the hospital hence the unscheduled announcement. It is a pity there was not enough planning or management time to tell people this was happening as it presumably had been ordered months and months ago.

I hope no-one was prepped for theatre today and then cancelled, that would just be cruel. 

Maybe we are taking time out due to the lack of theatre staff, which would make sense. For those staff due to 'stand down' during these interruptions I assume they are rescheduled to work elsewhere. 

It probably isn't completely unexpected as the Manx Radio piece is actually based on a Government Press Release, rather than actual news reporting.  They say it's also a "window of opportunity to complete the installation and prepare and train staff in use of the new equipment".  Though you do wonder why it's not possible to do this sort of thing at weekends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It probably isn't completely unexpected as the Manx Radio piece is actually based on a Government Press Release, rather than actual news reporting.  They say it's also a "window of opportunity to complete the installation and prepare and train staff in use of the new equipment".  Though you do wonder why it's not possible to do this sort of thing at weekends.

the specialist contractors/suppliers that do this kind of work charge fortunes to do this out of hours and at weekends if they offer this at all, some don't.

edit:appalling grammar

Edited by The Chief
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It probably isn't completely unexpected as the Manx Radio piece is actually based on a Government Press Release, rather than actual news reporting.  They say it's also a "window of opportunity to complete the installation and prepare and train staff in use of the new equipment".  Though you do wonder why it's not possible to do this sort of thing at weekends.

A 'window of opportunity' is not quite the right term, surely? It is more often used where something is planned or in effect, and that allows you to do something else at the same time.  For example, closure of our restaurant due to covid provided a window of opportunity to upgrade our kitchen equipment without affecting our service.

 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it's the installtion of new medical equipment, the labour charges aren't usually accrued on an hourly basis though. The purchase, installation and commissioning is normally built into the price, whether those hours are 'unsocial' or not. And a servicing contract will be in place for x amount of months/years.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The Chief said:

the specialist contractors/suppliers that do this kind of work charge fortunes to do this out of hours and at weekends if they offer this at all, some don't.

I would have thought that it was quite a common requirement in this sort of work and even if not, cancelling two days worth of operations is going to be quite costly - especially if it means flying people off-Island to have the work done elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, When Skies are Grey V2 said:

Beyond crass........

Sorry, saw your earlier post.

Methinks the press release would have been more accurate if it had said "due to difficulties in recruitment and staff sickness, regrettably, elective surgery is suspended for the next few days.  However, we will use this as a window of opportunity to carry out an equipment upgrade and associated training.  Apologies to all affected, etc etc"

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Sorry, saw your earlier post.

Methinks the press release would have been more accurate if it had said "due to difficulties in recruitment and staff sickness, regrettably, elective surgery is suspended for the next few days.  However, we will use this as a window of opportunity to carry out an equipment upgrade and associated training.  Apologies to all affected, etc etc"

What! Speak truth to the Hoi Palloi? They can't handle the truth (You gotta imagine Jack Nickolson saying this)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, snowman said:

I would like sites such as Manx Radio to include a link to the IOMG website which has the full press release

Yes it's quite annoying because they often don't seem to have read the full release.  Manx Radio still has this thing where too many stories are reduced to to five paragraphs of a sentence each (though this is longer) no matter how simple of complex the subject.  Of course if they did link it would show how much of the 'news' they produce is just copy and paste - the same applies (actually even more) to other news sites (3FM, Energy and IOM Newspapers) who often don't even bother to re-write or edit even slightly, though they aren't as well staffed as Manx Radio.

But it's clear with a lot of these stories that a press release has been sent out (perhaps to not every outlet) and it never appears on the government website.  There was an FoI battle a few years back where someone tried to find out what the policy was and the Cabinet Office simply refused to say.  Presumably the aim is to prevent their mates in the media from looking like complete ditto-merchants.  But it means sometimes stuff gets lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they are spooked by the rise in Covid cases….8 today in hospital and are cutting admissions down to emergencies.   They do not want to start any panic so are using this procedure as an excuse, these alterations must be planned ahead.   The hospital has now reverted to masks and someone in the entrance hall to make sure hands are sanitised, recently there have just been masks available and no staff there to supervise.   They are quietly getting ready for large Covid cases although hoping this does not happen. This makes good sense I expect, a relation of mine has had an operation cancelled three times now after they had isolated etc at very short notice reason given was staff shortage.   I may be cynical but arrangements for work done on equipment or new installations so not happen overnight it would require specialist teams from across for a start.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...