Jump to content

IOM DHSC & MANX CARE


Cassie2
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, manxfisherman said:

The main take away from that face book post is not to believe it. It's Kevin.

Well I'm sure he exaggerated his own role, but I doubt he made the whole thing up.  And it ties in with far too many other accounts, and most importantly what the CQC said.  What seems to have happened is that the release (or more likely the leaking) of the CQC report has led to a lot of people realising that recent experiences weren't just an unlucky one-off, but a chronic situation.

For example, one thing that stuck me in many of the anecdotes is the way in which fractures had been misdiagnosed, often because no x-rays had been done.  Even  a set of random vox pops I heard included someone with such a complaint.  I'm sure these aren't the easiest things to diagnose correctly - but it would be interesting to know the level of errors and how it matched up to other EDs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That he is alive to write this tells us he survived. The people who walked out could not have really needed emergency health care as they would have waited - as people do when they need “proper doctors” to help them. Imagine Kevin offering people advice, Jesus wept. 
 

You expect to wait at A&E, they might be dealing with a serious accident or a worse emergency, that’s what the triage is all about. 
 

Clown shoes must be going to try for HoK’s (again)… please no. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Problem is a lot of those in A& E shouldn’t be there & only there because they couldn’t get a GP appointment or wouldn’t go to Ramsey for minor injuries where they would be seen quicker.

Having just returned from Liverpool as a companion at Liverpool Royal the staff there were complaining about lack of staff, poor morale, crap management, poor pay etc so it’s the same everywhere!! The numbers in A&E Liverpool also looked high & anyone going in had to walk around numerous smokers including patients in wheelchairs!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Banker said:

The numbers in A&E Liverpool also looked high & anyone going in had to walk around numerous smokers including patients in wheelchairs!!

When I first started going to the Royal in the early 2000s, they had a smoking lounge on every other floor, near the elevators. You never saw patients stood outside in their pjs and robes back then. 

People who smoke are gonna smoke. Always seemed a bit OTT health and safety wise to force sick people out into the elements when for years they could smoke where it was warm and dry. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I’m listed for a bone marrow biopsy at Clatterbridge on Monday. The best they can say is they hope the clinic will run, but it depends on whether staff take the bank holiday. They’ll let me know at 09.30 on Monday!

Fortunately I’m stopping in Liverpool over night on my way home from Spain. Set off for Bilbao in an hour, then 30 hours on ferry to Portsmouth on Saturday/Sunday.

They've said if it doesn’t happen Monday they’ll fit me in on Tuesday. My last two sets of tests for the leukaemia marker have thrown anomalous results. BMB is only way to determine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’d take that with a pinch of salt from “Covid meltdown” Dick Welsh. Half of the reason why the service is so bad is that government listened too much to people like him. 

I remember him.

One of the Covid cranks that said we'd all be dead now. Where's the stat man, can't even remember his name? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Problem is a lot of those in A& E shouldn’t be there & only there because they couldn’t get a GP appointment or wouldn’t go to Ramsey for minor injuries where they would be seen quicker.

I don't think that's true on the whole.  As I pointed out earlier, the numbers for A&E visits have been pretty static over the last five years (at around 30,000 ie 80-85 a day).  We would have seen an increase if people were using it more as an alternative to GPs or for trivial things.  And if the case mix included more minor stuff we would see a drop in waiting times as those would be dealt with faster.

Instead there has been a gradual increase in waiting times:

image.png.f2a901f84101852571878b240c0faf02.png

Especially in longer ones, which suggests admission problems.

As for people who "shouldn't be there", how do they know that until they have been seen?  A similar thing applies to those who might have gone to Ramsey (which isn't open all the time anyway).  They may not know they only have a minor injury until it has been checked out.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't think that's true on the whole.  As I pointed out earlier, the numbers for A&E visits have been pretty static over the last five years (at around 30,000 ie 80-85 a day).  We would have seen an increase if people were using it more as an alternative to GPs or for trivial things.  And if the case mix included more minor stuff we would see a drop in waiting times as those would be dealt with faster.

Instead there has been a gradual increase in waiting times:

image.png.f2a901f84101852571878b240c0faf02.png

Especially in longer ones, which suggests admission problems.

As for people who "shouldn't be there", how do they know that until they have been seen?  A similar thing applies to those who might have gone to Ramsey (which isn't open all the time anyway).  They may not know they only have a minor injury until it has been checked out.

There’s definitely people there who couldn’t get GP appointment etc , going with sore shoulder, headache, minor cut etc & Ramsey is open 8-8 every day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Well, I’m listed for a bone marrow biopsy at Clatterbridge on Monday. The best they can say is they hope the clinic will run, but it depends on whether staff take the bank holiday. They’ll let me know at 09.30 on Monday!

Fortunately I’m stopping in Liverpool over night on my way home from Spain. Set off for Bilbao in an hour, then 30 hours on ferry to Portsmouth on Saturday/Sunday.

They've said if it doesn’t happen Monday they’ll fit me in on Tuesday. My last two sets of tests for the leukaemia marker have thrown anomalous results. BMB is only way to determine.

Hope it all goes well for you John. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Well, I’m listed for a bone marrow biopsy at Clatterbridge on Monday. The best they can say is they hope the clinic will run, but it depends on whether staff take the bank holiday. They’ll let me know at 09.30 on Monday!

Fortunately I’m stopping in Liverpool over night on my way home from Spain. Set off for Bilbao in an hour, then 30 hours on ferry to Portsmouth on Saturday/Sunday.

They've said if it doesn’t happen Monday they’ll fit me in on Tuesday. My last two sets of tests for the leukaemia marker have thrown anomalous results. BMB is only way to determine.

i don't envy you that procedure John , all the best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...