Jump to content

IOM DHSC & MANX CARE


Cassie2
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, code99 said:

 

Personally, I don’t mind paying some sort of extra ‘tax’; e.g., an NHS levy over and above the NI which would enable to encourage better quality medical professionals (who still believe in the Hippocratic Oath they supposedly took) 

 

The Hippocratic Oath they “supposedly “ took.

What on earth does that mean?

This extra tax which you would be happy to pay to enable to encourage better quality professionals. How would that work?

There are plenty of third way organisations that work with the NHS who would be grateful for extra donations. Maybe you could give to them?

Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s great that you are prepared to contribute more to the NHS. But being pragmatic you can’t say I will give £ x more tax than I have to, as long as it is hypothecated to augment the salaries of better quality medical professionals 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Market value I suppose? Maybe we back ourselves up with all the consultants when perhaps a competent exponent would do?

What makes someone a consultant? Is it 2000 successful operations or a self appointed title?

Yet another bit of information we are not entitled to see!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, code99 said:

 

Personally, I don’t mind paying some sort of extra ‘tax’; e.g., an NHS levy over and above the NI which would enable to encourage better quality medical professionals (who still believe in the Hippocratic Oath they supposedly took) to move to the Island. My view is that as a community we must make this choice soon – but only for those who can afford it. Poor and vulnerable must be protected by the taxpayers.

Most people I speak to seem to support the idea but it would have to be securely ring-fenced to ensure it isn't squandered on other stuff. 

The other issue is a more general one facing any organisation trying to recruit workers to the island. The cost and availability of housing, the social opportunities, the cost of living, unstable public finances (pension blackhole), poor travel connections with the UK... until we address all of these issues wholesale then it's going to remain very, very difficult to convince people that uprooting and moving to a desolate rock in the middle of the Irish Sea is a move that they want to make. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I doubt anyone considering working on the Island takes any of your parameters into account?

More likely , arrive here for a specific job or look for work, rent, see how it goes and then make a decision?

Unless married or of that proximity, their first consideration will be, how are they going to enjoy Island Life, which is new to them.

They do not consider your parameters in advance.

Edited by Kopek
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I doubt anyone considering working on the Island takes any of your parameters into account?

More likely , arrive here for a specific job or look for work, rent, see how it goes and then make a decision?

Unless married or of that proximity, their first consideration will be, how are they going to enjoy Island Life, which is new to them.

They do not consider your parameters in advance.

You think in these enlightened days people don't research where they're considering moving to?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

What makes someone a consultant? Is it 2000 successful operations or a self appointed title?

Yet another bit of information we are not entitled to see!

The requirements to be a consultant  are in the public domain.

Just have a look at the relevant royal college website.

Essentially you complete a qualifying medical degree, then 2 years as a foundation doctor. Then speciality training of between six and ten years, speciality exams at entry and exit of training.

I’m “just” a GP. Five years at university. One year as a house officer (2 nowadays) then 3 years postgraduate training. Exams every year at university. Summative assesment at the end of GP training, plus MRCGP exams. Nine years training, qualified in 1998, so 23 years experience post qualification. About 62% of my life so far…

Edited by FSM
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, FSM said:

The requirements to be a consultant  are in the public domain.

Just have a look at the relevant royal college website.

Essentially you complete a qualifying medical degree, then 2 years as a foundation doctor. Then speciality training of between six and ten years, speciality exams at entry and exit of training.

I’m “just” a GP. Five years at university. One year as a house officer (2 nowadays) then 3 years postgraduate training. Exams every year at university. Summative assesment at the end of GP training, plus MRCGP exams. Nine years training, qualified in 1998, so 23 years experience post qualification. About 62% of my life so far…

Presumably, there is quite a heavy CPD requirement too?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Presumably, there is quite a heavy CPD requirement too?  

 

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Presumably, there is quite a heavy CPD requirement too?  

Minimum of 50 hours per year. Mandatory training inCPR and safeguarding. Annual appraisal and revalidation every 5 years.

Edited by FSM
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FSM said:

 

Minimum of 50 hours per year. Annual appraisal and revaludation every 5 years.

People tend to forget, or not know about, CPD.  It is quite a commitment, because that will be the formal CPD requirement, there will be informal CPD too, I suppose.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Gladys said:

People tend to forget, or not know about, CPD.  It is quite a commitment, because that will be the formal CPD requirement, there will be informal CPD too, I suppose.  

Definitely. We all learn something new almost every day. My patients are my greatest teachers. This week I have seen 3 patients with a condition which had me reaching  for the textbooks and making notes for future reference. That’s a fairly average week.If the CPD requirement suddenly changed to 200 hours I don’t think I’d have a problem meeting it.

We also train medical students and junior doctors, teaching someone else always teaches you about yourself.

 

Edited by FSM
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

I doubt anyone considering working on the Island takes any of your parameters into account?

More likely , arrive here for a specific job or look for work, rent, see how it goes and then make a decision?

Unless married or of that proximity, their first consideration will be, how are they going to enjoy Island Life, which is new to them.

They do not consider your parameters in advance.

Healthcare professionals are in massive demand all across the globe. To think they don't take those things into account is naive. 

There will be hundreds of hospitals that can provide way more on their doorstep than Noble's does or even could. 

These are people who can afford to be picky. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is also the amount of experience they would get here.  If you were a young doctor wouldn't you want a position that would give you lots of new challenges to hone your knowledge? 

Years ago I was told that young doctors, particularly those specialising in orthopaedics and trauma, were attracted to the IOM  because of the challenging injuries from the TT and MGP.  It may have been tripe, but it did kind of ring true. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

There is also the amount of experience they would get here.  If you were a young doctor wouldn't you want a position that would give you lots of new challenges to hone your knowledge? 

Years ago I was told that young doctors, particularly those specialising in orthopaedics and trauma, were attracted to the IOM  because of the challenging injuries from the TT and MGP.  It may have been tripe, but it did kind of ring true. 

I imagine they would be interested in a fortnight's secondment to Noble's but that would be about it. All pretty bog standard stuff the other 48 weeks of the year I guess (or 52 once they cancel TT22) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...