Manx Grand Prix

ManxTaxPayer

And the TT for that matter. It's that time of year when the season's road racing would have come to an end. Will we ever see it again on the Isle of Man? It's been a rather nice quiet couple of years and I'd imagine quite a lot of people would actually like to keep it that way. Will it even be possible to mobilise the requisite numbers to put it on again? It won't be easy. 

19 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

And the TT for that matter. It's that time of year when the season's road racing would have come to an end. Will we ever see it again on the Isle of Man? It's been a rather nice quiet couple of years and I'd imagine quite a lot of people would actually like to keep it that way. Will it even be possible to mobilise the requisite numbers to put it on again? It won't be easy. 

I'm quite sure limitless funds will be made available to fly competitors, marshals and all their stuff from any far-flung corner of the planet.

Personally I would like to see an end to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SleepyJoe said:

Can't see how TT & MGP can survive if a government is elected with a commitment to action on climate change, unless the organisers genuinely commit to electric and hydrogen powered bikes

The TT Zero was knocked on the head, so that answers your question. Unless out of the magic money tree or pot, money is given to teams etc to subside (at the taxpayers expense) a whole week of racing using electric and non existent new technology. Sadly whoever is elected will enact double standards as far as the TT is concerned, or any motorsport activity on the island. There is more of a chance of the green brigade banning stock car racing as opposed to motorcycle racing.

49 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

We have to wait & see the DfE contribution to the new programme for government

I'm hopeful Mr Thomas will contribute by abolishing DfE

What do you replace its functions with? Do you hand the Starship Enterprise over to be incorporated into the Treasury?

Attendance in 2022 would be (will be) way down - there's reduced interest by intelligent people in the conventions I normally attend, so if 20% are smart enough not to mix for a week or two with thousands of bikers then revenue will be hit.

2 hours ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Doubtful in my opinion. And if it doesn’t go ahead in May 2022 it’ll be gone forever I suspect, except maybe for some symbolic re-enactment events in the future. 

It really needs to change to survive, but I don’t see any great appetite for that. The few real enthusiasts we have think it’s perfect as it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

What do you replace its functions with? Do you hand the Starship Enterprise over to be incorporated into the Treasury?

I believe Mr Thomas intends for the successful individual agencies such as Digital to become more independent & act of their own accord, within a Tynwald remit of course

Have to wait to hear from the man himself

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

The TT Zero was knocked on the head, so that answers your question. Unless out of the magic money tree or pot, money is given to teams etc to subside (at the taxpayers expense) a whole week of racing using electric and non existent new technology. Sadly whoever is elected will enact double standards as far as the TT is concerned, or any motorsport activity on the island. There is more of a chance of the green brigade banning stock car racing as opposed to motorcycle racing.

Hyrogen fuel cell powered motor bikes are expected to be released in 2023, if not before

https://www.electrive.com/2021/04/09/xiaomi-to-unleash-hydrogen-motorcycle/#:~:text=Xiaomi announces the Segway Apex,equivalent of around 9%2C000 euros.

42 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Doubtful in my opinion. And if it doesn’t go ahead in May 2022 it’ll be gone forever I suspect, except maybe for some symbolic re-enactment events in the future. 

It really needs to change to survive, but I don’t see any great appetite for that. The few real enthusiasts we have think it’s perfect as it is. 

I think it will be back, I know the organisers are working on some new classes and formats to make it more accessible and affordable (including sidecars). The big question will be the response from marshals and spectators. Having said that, I was "across" a couple of weeks back and normality seemed to be in full flow, little evidence of people being overly observant on masks or restrictions of any type. Given that, there's no reason why they wouldn't make their way here again?

• Like 1

When the vast majority of motorcycling events worldwide are short circuit the TT can only really survive as a novelty like the Le Mans 24 hr.  They attract 50,000 spectators for a weekend.

I could see the TT being cropped to a long weekend with qualifying one day and racing the next. Add in between parade laps of classic bikes and satellite events, like sprints at Ramsey or exhibitions.