Manx Grand Prix

ManxTaxPayer

8 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

46,174 visitors came for TT in 2019 according DofE.

According to DofE. Who are also proposing/predicting 340,000 visitors pa elsewhere.

However, their Chief Fantasist is now President of Tynwald, there may be something of a reduction in future prediction numbers. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Max Power said:

There's a review going on as we speak of the TT, MGP and CTT. I believe an announcement on whether the 2022 TT will go ahead will be made in December?

My understanding too - as Honda have some of their senior representatives on Island at present - making enquiries for various resources on a "Might happen - might not" basis

31 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

My understanding too - as Honda have some of their senior representatives on Island at present - making enquiries for various resources on a "Might happen - might not" basis

If it was the ACU rather than Honda then I would more concerned, the course and its road surface will need to be inspected before the event gets the go ahead.

14 hours ago, ian rush said:

It's shite. 3 races for big bikes. 2 for 600s which hardly anyone rides on roads and have little manufacturer interest. 600s and 1000s look snd sound the same. 2 races for sidecars which beyond the top 10 are of a piss poor standard. So you get to see a load of bikes which look and sound the same 

This what happens when you put a civil servant 'in charge' who is into pushbikes and only quickly acquired a bit of knowledge about motorcycles to get the job.

The TT does have a lot of sway in the motorcycle world and with manufacturers. I feel far too much power was given to one person.

14 hours ago, ian rush said:

It's shite. 3 races for big bikes. 2 for 600s which hardly anyone rides on roads and have little manufacturer interest. 600s and 1000s look snd sound the same. 2 races for sidecars which beyond the top 10 are of a piss poor standard. So you get to see a load of bikes which look and sound the same 

Most people who come are gammon petrolheads who hate Lewis Hamilton, foreigners and lack the foresight to move away from loud noises coming out of bikes. It won't be Government that kills the tt it will be insurance, incompetence and/or giving the punters what they currently lap up until the event is dead in the water.

32 minutes ago, Barlow said:

This what happens when you put a civil servant 'in charge' who is into pushbikes and only quickly acquired a bit of knowledge about motorcycles to get the job.

The TT does have a lot of sway in the motorcycle world and with manufacturers. I feel far too much power was given to one person.

That's a tad unfair, the classes at the TT and to a lesser extent the MGP are governed by what is being raced elsewhere. I agree that the 'Super' titled classes are anything but super due to the similarity but that is the way racing has developed. It would be difficult for the TT to plough its own furrow and introduce classes outside of the norm, as was done in 1977 with TT F1, F2 and F3. I would love to see a return to these formulae, but they were too successful and spawned our current Superbike and Supersport classes.  

You can disagree with the TT and motorsport manager as much as you like, I have to admit that I often have, but the majority of what has been done has benefitted the event and kept it relevant. He has been working under other CS bods for the majority of his tenure and so it's not just his decision which is final. His heart has always been with the TT and what he has done has been for the TT's benefit. He could have maybe listened to some stakeholders more but for good or bad he hasn't let anyone sway him from that. 

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 1

Just now, Max Power said:

That's a tad unfair, the classes at the TT and to a lesser extent the MGP are governed by what is being raced elsewhere. I agree that the 'Super' titled classes are anything but super due to the similarity but that is the way racing has developed. It would be difficult for the TT to plough its own furrow and introduce classes outside of the norm, as was done in 1977 with TT F1, F2 and F3. I would love to see a return to these formulae, but they were too successful and spawned our current Superbike and Supersport classes.  

Well yes, I concede that and I don't deny the improvements and advances that have been made with the past decade or so.

However, I would say that in the right hands the TT has potentially more clout than we sometimes realise. It is the greatest testing ground for production machinery. Where else can you run multiple laps at race speed to breaking limit on real roads etc etc.

The Isle of Man and the TT should be a driver for the whole motorcycle industry. Whereas it is more like the other way round. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Well yes, I concede that and I don't deny the improvements and advances that have been made with the past decade or so.

However, I would say that in the right hands the TT has potentially more clout than we sometimes realise. It is the greatest testing ground for production machinery. Where else can you run multiple laps at race speed to breaking limit on real roads etc etc.

The Isle of Man and the TT should be a driver for the whole motorcycle industry. Whereas it is more like the other way round. 

Yes, agreed. I think that success at the TT means much more than any Superbike world championship to prove a motorcycle's capability. Unfortunately failure at the TT can also have a detrimental effect. Guy Martin's incident with the new Honda, plus John McGuinness' similar one at the NW200 spring to mind.

40 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, agreed. I think that success at the TT means much more than any Superbike world championship to prove a motorcycle's capability. Unfortunately failure at the TT can also have a detrimental effect. Guy Martin's incident with the new Honda, plus John McGuinness' similar one at the NW200 spring to mind.

I think IOM residents can be guilty of being too IOM-centric and thinking the TT has way more influence than it actually does in the modern day. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

I think IOM residents can be guilty of being too IOM-centric and thinking the TT has way more influence than it actually does in the modern day. 

The TT still holds a significant place in the history of motorcycling and the fact that it is still running makes it something most racing fans would want to see for themselves. What Barlow  and I were saying is that the TT demonstrates the best features of the winning motorcycle better than any other event. This is because it is held on roads which are similar to those found where likely purchasers live. 

3 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

Saw a DEFA bloke the other day with an orange spray can marking roadside trees. If rumours are to be believed there are 1000s of trees to be removed around the TT course.

Not a rumour, just look at the trees with no foliage around the course this summer, it is there for all to see, or not?

Imagine one falling during a race? 

22 minutes ago, Max Power said:

The TT still holds a significant place in the history of motorcycling and the fact that it is still running makes it something most racing fans would want to see for themselves. What Barlow  and I were saying is that the TT demonstrates the best features of the winning motorcycle better than any other event. This is because it is held on roads which are similar to those found where likely purchasers live. 

The thought process is logical and I'm sure TT fans will be interested. 

But beyond that it's not as relevant to the wider world as many people over here would have you think.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

I believe Mr Thomas intends for the successful individual agencies such as Digital to become more independent & act of their own accord, within a Tynwald remit of course

Have to wait to hear from the man himself

Is Digital successful? Rumour has it that it’s the ultimate incarnation of smoke and mirrors 

15 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

Saw a DEFA bloke the other day with an orange spray can marking roadside trees. If rumours are to be believed there are 1000s of trees to be removed around the TT course.

Ash dieback. A tree surgeon told me it’s something like 5000.

He’s bought a place on the Algarve on the basis*

(might not be true)

• Like 1