Manx Grand Prix

ManxTaxPayer

29 minutes ago, wrighty said:

@Max Power what’s the point of the sidecar races? Do they boost sales and aid development?

It helps with keeping you in work and also the sales of Swarfega for the poor souls that have to work on the cobbled together shit piles in the main............................

Edited by Boris Johnson

The TT works as a spectacle and also as a one-off esoteric challenge for racers (and payday for the top TT guys).

It has little to do with sales or development anymore. That is shouldered by the televised WSB/WSS/BSB series to promote the sales of bikes for which there is a shrinking market on account of their becoming so racetrack-focused that they are now of little relevance to the day to day user.

Motorbikes were at the cutting edge of technology when the TT started. It was a technology challenge. That's what it needs to get back to - the tech. Bikes were also about freedom.

Huge sales and economic value until the 80s.

But now petrol is going the way of steam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo said:

Motorbikes were at the cutting edge of technology when the TT started. It was a technology challenge. That's what it needs to get back to - the tech. Bikes were also about freedom.

Huge sales and economic value until the 80s.

But now petrol is going the way of steam.

I’ve probably said before that TT would have been better off extending the electric bikes rather than scrapping them. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I’ve probably said before that TT would have been better off extending the electric bikes rather than scrapping them. 

I would have said the same, and I'm sure they would have retained them had there been sufficient interest from manufacturers, teams, riders and spectators. Despite the original novelty,the class had little support worldwide and despite electric machines being run at GP's, interest is minimal. It was also very tricky to run them safely at the TT with the risk of fire, pollution and electrocution.  . 

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I would have said the same, and I'm sure they would have retained them had there been sufficient interest from manufacturers, teams, riders and spectators. Despite the original novelty,the class had little support worldwide and despite electric machines being run at GP's, interest is minimal. It was also very tricky to run them safely at the TT with the risk of fire, pollution and electrocution.  . 

Electric bikes too risky for the TT? LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, wrighty said:

Electric bikes too risky for the TT? LOL

Have you seen the extra marshal training required for formula e, extreme e, and even the F1 now they are hybrid?  The extra fire precautions?

Did you see what happened to the Rimmac Richard Hammond crashed? 

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

Have you seen the extra marshal training required for formula e, extreme e, and even the F1 now they are hybrid?  The extra fire precautions?

only if they use lithium batteries ,  other methods of creating/storing electricity are available, just not as mainstream and/or efficient price wise or other.   nuclear powered bikes will be all the rage in 500 years.

3 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

They have a little caterpillar tracked vehicle at MotoE races, which tows a steel skip type trailer with a crane. If a bike crashes and catches fire, along it comes and grabs the bike, puts it in the sealed container and it's left to burn out. There are definitely issues with being able to handle defective machines. 

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

They have a little caterpillar tracked vehicle at MotoE races, which tows a steel skip type trailer with a crane. If a bike crashes and catches fire, along it comes and grabs the bike, puts it in the sealed container and it's left to burn out.

All very environmentally sustainable..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Max Power said:

But didn't you say something about the TT being the ultimate testing ground for manufactures?