Manx Grand Prix

ManxTaxPayer

4 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Have you seen the extra marshal training required for formula e, extreme e, and even the F1 now they are hybrid?  The extra fire precautions?

Did you see what happened to the Rimmac Richard Hammond crashed? 

I'm not saying they're without difficulties, I just think it's ironic that one of the forum's main TT protagonists is arguing against them on safety grounds, but is perfectly happy with the inevitable death and destruction arising from the regular event that has, to be frank, a somewhat casual and seemingly entirely reactive approach to H&S.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Think Geoff Duke proposed something like this up at Jurby back in the mists of time

Allegedly until some of the landowners got wind of it and hiked the prices way above market value and killed it. I think Tony Pond's name was mentioned in connection with it too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Think Geoff Duke proposed something like this up at Jurby back in the mists of time

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

Allegedly until some of the landowners got wind of it and hiked the prices way above market value and killed it. I think Tony Pond's name was mentioned in connection with it too.

Don't be daft, why would any car/ bike company want to come here when there are far better facilities available in  the UK and further afield?

The hotels?

The friendly  locals?

The  cheap beer?......................

11 hours ago, wrighty said:

I'm not saying they're without difficulties, I just think it's ironic that one of the forum's main TT protagonists is arguing against them on safety grounds, but is perfectly happy with the inevitable death and destruction arising from the regular event that has, to be frank, a somewhat casual and seemingly entirely reactive approach to H&S.

The problem with E racing is the danger to marshals and those trying to deal with the machines. 

I'm not happy with death and destruction and I appreciate the issues it causes for you and your colleagues wrighty. It must be almost as bad as being a surgeon at a hospital near a ski resort? 

4 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Andreas airfield, Geoff Duke tried a few times to get a circuit off the ground there, the last time was in the 90's.

3 hours ago, quilp said:

Wasn't there a Malaysian consortium interested in building a world class circuit up there? @Max Power

I did hear that but never anything concrete?

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I'm not happy with death and destruction and I appreciate the issues it causes for you and your colleagues wrighty. It must be almost as bad as being a surgeon at a hospital near a ski resort?

Nah,Ross Barker is a splendid chap who just gets on with the job without bleating

On 9/17/2021 at 10:32 AM, wrighty said:

the H&S isn't that casual, there will always be risks and after something bad occurs then that is looked at and dealt with if possible, at the end of the day no one can predict or stop a mechanical failure that sends a rider down the road, i would guess most crashes are rider error due to pushing things hard which is part of the sport.

Just now, AlanShimmin said:

It sort of is though 

H&S  is more stringent than it has ever been ,   not just for motor racing but for pretty much everything, to say that it is casual for the TT/MGP is not correct,  it may not be what others think it ought to be but other than no racing on the mountain circuit they don't seem to come up with any workable/practical  suggestions. just how much cotton wool are we expected to live in ??

where's my waste of time face mask........................................

11 minutes ago, WTF said:

H&S  is more stringent than it has ever been ,   not just for motor racing but for pretty much everything, to say that it is casual for the TT/MGP is not correct,  it may not be what others think it ought to be but other than no racing on the mountain circuit they don't seem to come up with any workable/practical  suggestions. just how much cotton wool are we expected to live in ??

where's my waste of time face mask........................................

It is casual though. The whole volunteer situation and not knowing if you'll have enough of them rocking up for the day. 

How could it be any more casual?

3 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

It is casual though. The whole volunteer situation and not knowing if you'll have enough of them rocking up for the day. 

How could it be any more casual?

Motorsport worldwide is staffed by volunteers.

They do know how many are going to turn up every day, just as any employer knows how many are going to turn up for work. Unfortunately circumstance for individuals can change in both scenarios.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Motorsport worldwide is staffed by volunteers.

They do know how many are going to turn up every day, just as any employer knows how many are going to turn up for work. Unfortunately circumstance for individuals can change in both scenarios.

Same for the downhill skiing / snowboarding.