Why is this allowed to continue..?

quilp

The Faroe Islanders have a tradition, a Dolphin hunt. It is heralded as an example of "aboriginal whaling" and is customary, a long-standing tradition that the Faroese have endorsed for centuries, so is "allowed" to continue on that basis. The only country in the world bestowed to 'enjoy' such privilege.

Almost 1500 Dolphins slaughtered this year, with a variety of implements; harpoons, sharpened blades, even power tools! It is said that the Islanders are unable to significantly process the slaughtered carcasses and most are just dumped.

Senseless waste, fuck tradition, it must be stopped...

https://www.rt.com/news/534745-faroe-denmark-dolphin-slaughter/

613fbb5585f5403b807cebe0.jpg

• Like 3

Believe me most Danes don't agree with it as well but the Faroese have self government so they carry on with this barbaric ritual. It's time that the Danish government took a stand and started to make life difficult for them instead of providing them with generous subsidies without strings.

16 minutes ago, quilp said:

Yeah, Japan, allowed to kill 100 whales this year for "research purposes" without any real oversight. It's obscene...

Their Cove dolphin hunt linked above is actually completely separate from their whale hunting made famous by Sea Shepard, mostly for Minke around the Antarctic. 

Following WW2, whale meat was an important food due to shortages of virtually everything else.  Ironically there is virtually zero appetite for whale meat in Japan now (what their whale 'research' is really about), it's more of a stand against foreign powers controlling their traditions. 

By coincidence, there are Minke feeding and breaching in Port Soderick bay right now. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VikingRaider said:

Believe me most Danes don't agree with it as well but the Faroese have self government so they carry on with this barbaric ritual. It's time that the Danish government took a stand and started to make life difficult for them instead of providing them with generous subsidies without strings.

Unless I am mistaken, the Danish government protects their colonies right to do this barbaric act.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Unless I am mistaken, the Danish government protects their colonies right to do this barbaric act.

Not exactly ... they defer all decisions on whaling to the Faroese government ... so there are constitutional issues at stake. However, in view of the massive subsidies provided its high time they used them as leverage to achieve a more responsible result.

Also they are as much a colony as the Isle Of Man is of the UK so the terminology is incorrect.

Edited by VikingRaider

On 9/16/2021 at 11:06 PM, Max Power said:

And what about all those kippers that we used to kill?

And eat. The Faroese slaughter these sentient animals in the name of tradition and custom which the majority of appear to go to land-fill after the death-fest. 

51 minutes ago, quilp said:

And eat. The Faroese slaughter these sentient animals in the name of tradition and custom which the majority of appear to go to land-fill after the death-fest. 

I didn't realise that!!!! 

I think they over did it on this occasion, it is apparently part of their diet. Maybe they need a Shoprite???

Edited by Max Power
  • Haha 1