Jump to content

Next Chief Minister?


Lost Login
 Share

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I know there have always been prayers, however, they never featured as an item until it was added by Watterson. Item No 1 is now prayers. Your example actually proves my point.

I'm not sure being able to submit written questions at any point during the year is going to prove to be the most cost effective use of people's time. Nor is the Keys being able to scrutinise secondary legislation. 

If they are actually taking place, as they always have, I can't see what your objection to Prayers appearing on the Order Paper is.  Surely it's just a warning notice: "This product may contain traces of God". 

I hope the new way of doing Written Questions has two effects.  Firstly MHKs may use them to get the data which they can then use at the next Tynwald to ask better informed and more targeted Oral Questions.  It would speed up the process in other words. 

Secondly it means that rather than all the information being released in one big data dump on sitting days and all sorts of stuff being overlooked, if it is dribbled out across the month, politicians and media may pick up and pursue more issues that arise from it.  Obviously both these factors rely on them actually changing the way they work and the civil service not being even more obstructive than usual, but it's worth a try.

There has been a big shift in recent years from primary to secondary legislation for various reasons, most of them bad.  So more scrutiny can only be welcomed and might stop the ridiculous situation of Tynwald sessions lasting four days, with ridiculously crammed Order Papers and loads of items getting nodded through out of tiredness.  Meanwhile Keys and even more so LegCo have nothing much to do at their meetings.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure of the process but maybe for devilment or trying to get there moneys worth out of a experienced politician could two members nominate and second Watty for CM  I know he’d have to except the nomination first but If he refused would that not show his intention of easy life on the gravy train, he did mutter I believe, that he would consider CM if support was there.  Tony Brown came from speakers job from memory.

Gut feeling says prickly Alf  but Allison seems to have more Charm and maybe get more support from newbies to close to call for me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

Not sure of the process but maybe for devilment or trying to get there moneys worth out of a experienced politician could two members nominate and second Watty for CM  I know he’d have to except the nomination first but If he refused would that not show his intention of easy life on the gravy train, he did mutter I believe, that he would consider CM if support was there.  Tony Brown came from speakers job from memory.

Gut feeling says prickly Alf  but Allison seems to have more Charm and maybe get more support from newbies to close to call for me.


Chuck another conservative into the mix? 

It's a shit cake recipe this one

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

If they are actually taking place, as they always have, I can't see what your objection to Prayers appearing on the Order Paper is.  Surely it's just a warning notice: "This product may contain traces of God". 

I hope the new way of doing Written Questions has two effects.  Firstly MHKs may use them to get the data which they can then use at the next Tynwald to ask better informed and more targeted Oral Questions.  It would speed up the process in other words. 

Secondly it means that rather than all the information being released in one big data dump on sitting days and all sorts of stuff being overlooked, if it is dribbled out across the month, politicians and media may pick up and pursue more issues that arise from it.  Obviously both these factors rely on them actually changing the way they work and the civil service not being even more obstructive than usual, but it's worth a try.

There has been a big shift in recent years from primary to secondary legislation for various reasons, most of them bad.  So more scrutiny can only be welcomed and might stop the ridiculous situation of Tynwald sessions lasting four days, with ridiculously crammed Order Papers and loads of items getting nodded through out of tiredness.  Meanwhile Keys and even more so LegCo have nothing much to do at their meetings.

 

Like the warning, this product may contain traces of God, I think a more relevant and applicable warning should say ‘May contain Nuts!’

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, James Blonde said:

If Alf is serious about cutting the CS and privatising functions that have no place in the public sector then he is the least worse choice. 

Alf has had years of doing nothing, can hardly see him rolling his sleeves up now.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, James Blonde said:

If Alf is serious about cutting the CS and privatising functions that have no place in the public sector then he is the least worse choice. 


He'll do as little as possible to combat climate change & believe he has a mandate to continue his war of attrition against our system of social security

He'd be a fcuking disaster as CM

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:


He'll do as little as possible to combat climate change & believe he has a mandate to continue his war of attrition against our system of social security

He'd be a fcuking disaster as CM

You're not going to let Daphne go, are you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:


He'll do as little as possible to combat climate change & believe he has a mandate to continue his war of attrition against our system of social security

He'd be a fcuking disaster as CM

Unlucky then.  Because it’s going to happen as was obvious even before the general election

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

If they are actually taking place, as they always have, I can't see what your objection to Prayers appearing on the Order Paper is.  Surely it's just a warning notice: "This product may contain traces of God".

Very funny Roger but the prayer element is suggestive that there is some divine influence also present, adding a particular righteousness to the proceedings. In the eyes of believers it is quintessential that the lord's presence in the ether is qualified by the prayers.

"Guide us, oh lord.."

I take it seriously, it offends me. Freedom from religion, not freedom of religion, the house should be secular.

Besides, which 'god'; whose 'god' are the prayers aimed at? The White christ? Allah? Yahweh, et al?

It's all ceremonial, archaic bollocks and should have no place in the modernising process. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Time the electorate had a real say in who governs

I think you would find the result would be the same.  Nearly everyone I speak to who isn’t some sort of hippy thinks it should by Alf with a few for Alex then hardly anyone else believing anyone else is actually a credible candidate.

The exception is social media, where you have a very vocal minority talking about “change” but with no actual detail on how that would be achieved or what it would look like other than making the CM a woman just for the sake of the CM being a woman.  Oh, and “progressive” apparently the CM needs to be progressive and that will fix everything by making us an all caring society who treat everyone equally and throw money at people and services to make everything soft and cuddly.

Edited by Ramseyboi
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, quilp said:

Very funny Roger but the prayer element is suggestive that there is some divine influence also present, adding a particular righteousness to the proceedings. In the eyes of believers it is quintessential that the lord's presence in the ether is qualified by the prayers.

"Guide us, oh lord.."

I take it seriously, it offends me. Freedom from religion, not freedom of religion, the house should be secular.

Besides, which 'god'; whose 'god' are the prayers aimed at? The White christ? Allah? Yahweh, et al?

It's all ceremonial, archaic bollocks and should have no place in the modernising process. 

How states view religion as a good thing and one to regard as the highest authority is beyond me.  Religion is man-made and a lot of men are taking full advantage of the privileges it confers, vis child abuse, financial irregularity and war mongering. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

 

I hope the new way of doing Written Questions has two effects.  Firstly MHKs may use them to get the data which they can then use at the next Tynwald to ask better informed and more targeted Oral Questions.  It would speed up the process in other words.

I hope so too and agree with what you say. 

Frankly so much valuble was wasted in the last session with Qs that could easily have been answered elsewhere. 

Use Question time for things that really matter!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...