Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I expect it depends who you are. The policies and programme of Government will, I expect, have been drawn up by all the ministers with various pieces of horse trading. It will not simply be a case of whoever is CM simply down his wish list.

Last time out I expect AC wanted certain things from HQ in return for being Treasury minister. Possibly CT and also certain other individuals. AC would have been in a strong position to negotiate with HQ. The likes of Malarky less so.

I don't think there have been any ministerial appointments as yet and I would expect that some of those that AC wishes to have as ministers will be able to influence direction and policy. We just won't know about it.

Maybe, though I'm not sure what Cannan did get.  Poor financial governance just continued on in the old way - maybe that's what he wanted.  As for Thomas we know that the assurances he got proved to be useless - he was sacked for exercising them.

Of course one thing that we don't know is what promises Cannan has made for votes (including promising positions) and whether he will be able to fulfil them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Maybe, though I'm not sure what Cannan did get.  Poor financial governance just continued on in the old way - maybe that's what he wanted.  As for Thomas we know that the assurances he got proved to be useless - he was sacked for exercising them.

Of course one thing that we don't know is what promises Cannan has made for votes (including promising positions) and whether he will be able to fulfil them.

Clare Barber said in her proposal speach that it was a clean campaign and no horse trading had gone on with offers….

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

Clare Barber said in her proposal speach that it was a clean campaign and no horse trading had gone on with offers….

I am sure that probably was the case when it came to voting. With regard to putting together a Government I expect it is a different matter. Each will want some input if they are going to be a Minister

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

How did you get to vote the government in when I did not? 

I've still yet to see a single policy proposal and the general election process is over

In part I agree, once CM appoints his COMIN and memberlings it can be said that Government is up and running. I think it’s crackers that 48+ since AC coronation we haven’t had any indication of who is running the statutory bodies, committees, members and COMIN. Maybe AC is having difficulty filling his posts? Surely the positions will be filled by next Tuesday with enough time to prepare for Tynpotwald next Week. Rob Callister always makes a song and dance of going through the order sheet and preparation. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zarley said:

I was just thinking earlier that if he doesn't announce his ministers etc by tomorrow (Friday) morning, then perhaps people aren't as willing/happy to work with him as claimed. 

Meant to add... I would have thought he already had his ministers lined up in his head before the CM election took place. It doesn't normally take this long, does it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Meant to add... I would have thought he already had his ministers lined up in his head before the CM election took place. It doesn't normally take this long, does it? 

Not quite dither and delay yet.  Quayle took 6 days to announce his cabinet.

26 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I was just thinking earlier that if he doesn't announce his ministers etc by tomorrow (Friday) morning, then perhaps people aren't as willing/happy to work with him as claimed. 

Could be a good sign? They are not prepared to be walked over and putting forward their own vision for the department (and Government). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 747-400 said:

According to Tony Brown and Allan Bell when on Manx Radio Agenda programme, the "horse trading" thing is a myth, dreamed up by David Callister on Manx Radio during a bit of spare air time while they were waiting for a Chief Minister vote.

• Like 2