Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

According to Tony Brown and Allan Bell when on Manx Radio Agenda programme, the "horse trading" thing is a myth, dreamed up by David Callister on Manx Radio during a bit of spare air time while they were waiting for a Chief Minister vote.

don't forget he has to fill some of the most difficult positions as well as ministers , government can't function without a chair of the planning committee chair of the Civil service commission  , chair of OFT ,and all the areas most members will not wish to be associated with  because of the workload , everybody wants to me a minister !  

Alf't task is just beginning , and now there all getting paid the same irrespective of being in a department  or causing trouble from the back benches ,its become even more difficult ,

some are sulking and just want to cause trouble and fill keys and Tynwald question papers , without doing anything meaningful for the good of th isle of Man 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The way I see it is this:-

New Ministers should not be tasked with "sorting out" the DOI for example.

They should direct new policy, for random example say, the island has a plan to outlaw all vehicles other than fully electric by 20xx

That is what a government is supposed to do.

Not go to a department as a minister and try to micro manage.

None of them are capable of managing a department.

The DOI  has a turnover of over £100 million.

Do any of the new candidates have big business experience?

NO.

So stop them trying to be big men/ woman  and give the departments direction on policy. 

DOI again as an example, stop the destruction of the Taxi trade by Bus Vannin and their Taxi buses, that would be a good start for a minister.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Omobono said:

don't forget he has to fill some of the most difficult positions as well as ministers , government can't function without a chair of the planning committee chair of the Civil service commission  , chair of OFT ,and all the areas most members will not wish to be associated with  because of the workload , everybody wants to me a minister !  

Alf't task is just beginning , and now there all getting paid the same irrespective of being in a department  or causing trouble from the back benches ,its become even more difficult ,

some are sulking and just want to cause trouble and fill keys and Tynwald question papers , without doing anything meaningful for the good of th isle of Man 

Cor blimey, can’t he just announce his Cabinet like the PM does (or rather one by one!). That’s what we are interested in. The junior posts barely make the news 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

In part I agree, once CM appoints his COMIN and memberlings it can be said that Government is up and running. I think it’s crackers that 48+ since AC coronation we haven’t had any indication of who is running the statutory bodies, committees, members and COMIN. Maybe AC is having difficulty filling his posts? Surely the positions will be filled by next Tuesday with enough time to prepare for Tynpotwald next Week. Rob Callister always makes a song and dance of going through the order sheet and preparation. 

Until Ministers are appointed, Harmer, Boot, Baker and Cregeeeeeen are still in post.  Still working their bollocks off for you.   Still Ministers as of tonight, and probably tomorrow as well.

• Confused 1

He is better taking his time and getting the right people in the right job, bearing in mind he can only work with what he has got.   In private enterprise the Managing Director would know the board members had experience and skills to their name or they would not be on the board.   Tynwald members are more rag,tag and bobtail with a lot of them voted in because they were best of bunch and not for any personal attributes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

Until Ministers are appointed, Harmer, Boot, Baker and Cregeeeeeen are still in post.  Still working their bollocks off for you.   Still Ministers as of tonight, and probably tomorrow as well.

You are either Mr Harmer, Boot, Baker or Cregie and I claim my £5

• Haha 3

I thought they stayed ministers until a new minister was appointed by the Governor. Obviously, they're lame ducks but they stay in place. Didn't John Rimington get flack for a controversial planning decision made between losing his seat and a new minister be named.

(I tried to search back using his name, but it's mostly previous incarnations of Barlow wittering on about how he got the role because he'd been a landscape gardener once.)

44 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

No they aren’t Ministers. Their posts were dissolved with the last house ending. They have no Ministerial remit any of them. 

I think you are incorrect ,they are still ministers until they  are replaced  ,and that doesn't happen until  the new boys are given their warrant and authority  form the Lt Governor  ,wait for the line up next week and the picture of the new boys holding their certificates !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I think you are incorrect ,they are still ministers until they  are replaced  ,and that doesn't happen until  the new boys are given their warrant and authority  form the Lt Governor  ,wait for the line up next week and the picture of the new boys holding their certificates !

No I’m not incorrect at all.

33 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

No I’m not incorrect at all.

Yes you are.  The current Ministers remain in position until replaced.  If one of them resigns another has to take over the post temporarily (so Quayle has been DfE Minister since July when Skelly became President).  They even get mentioned in press releases as the Minister.   Cannan will currently be both Chief Minister (having been formally appointed by the Governor) and Treasury Minister.

• Like 1