Next Chief Minister?

Lost Login

Next Chief Minister  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We’d have nothing to lose if JPW became Chief M. I’ve always thought it’ll be Cannan or Allinson but both have just drifted through last five years, so do we really want that same mindset I think not. Let’s hope the election of quite a few clearly bright independent women can shake up the establishment or at least become a thorn in side of the old boys club if it try’s to carry on business as usual. Still think Alf will get it with Watty the dark horse, he might have enough support from newbies though.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

We’d have nothing to lose if JPW became Chief M. I’ve always thought it’ll be Cannan or Allinson but both have just drifted through last five years, so do we really want that same mindset I think not. Let’s hope the election of quite a few clearly bright independent women can shake up the establishment or at least become a thorn in side of the old boys club if it try’s to carry on business as usual. Still think Alf will get it with Watty the dark horse, he might have enough support from newbies though.

I'm going to have a word with my MHK's about this. I suggest everyone else does. Cannan needs to be kept far away from Chief Minister's role. Watterson is obviously very unpopular and is unlikely to get it. 

JPW needs to be on the ballot in the first round not as a compromise candidate. Otherwise we'll just end up with another middle aged white guy and nothing will ever change.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

If it has to be one of the usual suspects then I would plump for Allinson but if it were up to me then JPW would be the one to go for.

Gender really shouldn’t be that important, it should be the best person for the role but it’s been the old boys club for so long that it needs a good shake up. 

A female CM would also help encourage other women into politics, long overdue I think.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Female speaker too.

Make JW actually earn his money in a difficult department

JW has not exactly done anything in his 15 years as MHK of note, maybe I am wrong but it seem's to be all about Juan getting what he wants, If I am wrong could anyone correct me? he is not alone though, a lot are hailing AC/AA as likely CM material what groundbreaking achievements has any of the above had? for instance how many mentioned the massive fuck up and overspend on the Prom, I have not heard one of the last lot at any time criticise lack of progress and the mistakes which had to be rectified in fact the silence from them all was deafening and they cannot blame Covid as the writing was on the wall long before it became an issue, what has happened to the SP debacle there was an investigation into what went wrong was there any blame attached? was there any criticism from our elected lot? The Dr G fiasco what happened to the PAC enquiry? are all these issues now no longer important? In my opinion these are the first things on the agenda for the new Keys so that we can build up the trust over the next 5 years that has sadly been lost during the last administration and lets hope that there is more equality and a fair split in ministerial roles for the MHKs whether newly elected or otherwise as there is a lot of quality/experience within the latest incumbents and should be utilised for the good of the Island. 

Edited by Beelzebub3
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

So one of the reasons I voted for Juan,   this time when I didn’t last was the PAC committee work. The enquiry into the COVID handling is ongoing - the government have obstructed it but the committee seem to have stood strong. 

I want to see that work continued, I don’t see an obviously better candidate for Speaker or PAC chairman. It seems to be what he likes doing and it’s what he seems to want. I don’t think he’s a CM candidate. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

JW has not exactly done anything in his 15 years as MHK of note, maybe I am wrong but it seem's to be all about Juan getting what he wants, If I am wrong could anyone correct me? 

The main thing of note that I remember him doing is earning the moniker "Spewin' Juan".

But I will give Declan the positive comments about being Speaker and his involvement in PAC. 

Edited by Zarley
Incorrect attribution

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Gender really shouldn’t be that important, it should be the best person for the role but it’s been the old boys club for so long that it needs a good shake up. 

A female CM would also help encourage other women into politics, long overdue I think.

Make it Daphne Caine

JPW as yet has next to no experience as a popularly elected member of the House of Keys

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Does it matter who the next chief minister is? 

It abso-feckin-lutely does matter who the CM is, and the same applies to CoMin!

We have some challenging times ahead, and the previous recent incumbents have imho not had the best interests of the island at heart. They have been more interested in their own vanity and having friends in CoMin who are in many instances not fit for the job, Boot, Baker Harmer, Cregeen for example. We need a truly honourable hard nosed intelligent individual (male or female), full of integrity, who will select the right candidates with the right qualities for ministerial positions, and not simply the old guard who voted them in.

I agree with Declan about JW, but I can’t help feel he would be a good Treasury Minister.

• Like 4