Carol Quine Chair of Castletown Commissioner's vote of no Confidence

Whatnonsence

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

WTF have they done to that room in a medieval castle?  Looks like a conference room in a travel lodge.

It's not actually in the Castle, it's in the set of buildings opposite,but still within/on the outer walls.  It used to be a fine old Victorian courtroom, but some time in the 70s all that was ripped out and replaced with a shabby 'modern'  equivalent, no doubt because some mate of a  building contractor wanted a job. 

This in turn degenerated over the years (especially when they stopped having courts outside Douglas) and was thought unsafe to do the last Governor installation there.  This upset a lot of people more than it should have and MNH who are now responsible for it were told to make it usable so it could be used once every five years.  It actually looks in better nick that it was before and nothing has been lost unless you were a big fan of 1970s suspended ceilings.  Presumably MNH will now use it for other things as well, but the whole thing was a bit silly.

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not actually in the Castle, it's in the set of buildings opposite,but still within/on the outer walls.  It used to be a fine old Victorian courtroom, but some time in the 70s all that was ripped out and replaced with a shabby 'modern'  equivalent, no doubt because some mate of a  building contractor wanted a job. 

This in turn degenerated over the years (especially when they stopped having courts outside Douglas) and was thought unsafe to do the last Governor installation there.  This upset a lot of people more than it should have and MNH who are now responsible for it were told to make it usable so it could be used once every five years.  It actually looks in better nick that it was before and nothing has been lost unless you were a big fan of 1970s suspended ceilings.  Presumably MNH will now use it for other things as well, but the whole thing was a bit silly.

The court room was dreadful. The bench and advocates seating was Victorian pine with painted grain effect. 

The robing room was damp and the floor sloped.

The last 5 years of being in use as a court the window at the back of the press box had a pane of glass out. I did a 6 week trial one February/March. Took cardboard and sticky backed plastic. Boarded it up. Got told off as it was historic blown glass and they’d ordered a replacement pane.

The 1970’s update was limited to the ceiling, after a large chunk of plaster fell and a suspended ceiling was installed to cover up.

It’s part of Derby House.

Now it’s not used for courts it has no real purpose. Access is appallingly bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

The court room was dreadful. The bench and advocates seating was Victorian pine with painted grain effect. 

The robing room was damp and the floor sloped.

The last 5 years of being in use as a court the window at the back of the press box had a pane of glass out. I did a 6 week trial one February/March. Took cardboard and sticky backed plastic. Boarded it up. Got told off as it was historic blown glass and they’d ordered a replacement pane.

The 1970’s update was limited to the ceiling, after a large chunk of plaster fell and a suspended ceiling was installed to cover up.

It’s part of Derby House.

Now it’s not used for courts it has no real purpose. Access is appallingly bad. 

I was told about the 70's refit by someone showing me round, but they may have been romanticising the past (or was there another one before your time?).  I wondered if they might have improved access, though it's difficult to see how.  I suppose they might use it for weddings as it's bigger than the old room they used to use, but there's so many options now in the Castle and around that it hardly seems worth it.