Carol Quine Chair of Castletown Commissioner's vote of no Confidence

Whatnonsence

On 9/30/2021 at 10:52 PM, fredtosser said:

Because she was misusing her position as chairman to have her own private army  (commissioners workforce)  put medicated ear drops in it. 

“Manx Lass” has been spouting the same tenuous shite all over Facebook about Mr Cubbon. His dog went down a rabbit hole, bit off a difference.

If that’s true, she deserves kicking out.

It must have been one hell of a bite if the employee has been off work since August.   Poor animal was probably in a lot of pain with infected ears, she should not have asked the employee to help and the employee should not have agreed, very unfortunate incident perhaps she should offer to reimburse the Commissioners for the wages they have been paying the bitten employee whilst they are off work.   Or are they wanting rid of her for other reasons ? Commissioners are a breed apart.

• 3 weeks later...

The Commissioners' press release is a masterpiece of suppressed emotion:

The Clerk to Castletown Town Commissioners can confirm that a Press Release was yesterday received from Miss Quine, stating her intention to resign as both Chairman and a Castletown Town Commissioner.

After consideration by board members, they have accepted this as a formal notice of resignation Which therefore took effect immediately upon delivery of the notice.

It is a matter of disappointment the Board that after several weeks of silence, Miss Quine has through her public press release chosen to make misleading comments about an employee of the town that the Commissioners refute in their entirety.

Nonetheless, the Board of Castletown Town Commissioners regret that Miss Quine chose to resign as a Commissioner and wish to thank her for her many years of service to the town.

It is anticipated that an election for Chairman will be held on 1st November 2021 at 18:30.

Until such time as a New Chairman is elected, the Vice Chairman Mr Ludford-Brooks will discharge all relevant duties.

A decision regarding the timing of an election to fill the casual vacancy created by Miss Quine resignation will follow. The Commissioners are mindful that an early election under the current legislation will disenfranchise any voters who can not cast a vote in person.

Maybe the dog will stand.

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The Commissioners' press release is a masterpiece of suppressed emotion:

The Clerk to Castletown Town Commissioners can confirm that a Press Release was yesterday received from Miss Quine, stating her intention to resign as both Chairman and a Castletown Town Commissioner.

After consideration by board members, they have accepted this as a formal notice of resignation Which therefore took effect immediately upon delivery of the notice.

It is a matter of disappointment the Board that after several weeks of silence, Miss Quine has through her public press release chosen to make misleading comments about an employee of the town that the Commissioners refute in their entirety.

Nonetheless, the Board of Castletown Town Commissioners regret that Miss Quine chose to resign as a Commissioner and wish to thank her for her many years of service to the town.

It is anticipated that an election for Chairman will be held on 1st November 2021 at 18:30.

Until such time as a New Chairman is elected, the Vice Chairman Mr Ludford-Brooks will discharge all relevant duties.

A decision regarding the timing of an election to fill the casual vacancy created by Miss Quine resignation will follow. The Commissioners are mindful that an early election under the current legislation will disenfranchise any voters who can not cast a vote in person.

Maybe the dog will stand.

Odd way of resigning by a press release, which wasn't released to the press (presumably) but sent to the Commissioners.

Here is what she said

In a statement to the board, shared with Gef, Miss Quine said: ‘It is with the utmost regret and sadness that after serious consideration I have reluctantly decided to resign as both Chairman and Board Member of Castletown Town Commissioners. This is due to allegations laid against me in the public domain; questioning my abilities as chairman after an unfortunate incident involving my dog and an employee of CTC who had volunteered to administer ear drops to the dog.

‘The Town Hall was closed for maintenance Thursday 26th August to Wednesday 1st September; however this was the meeting place chosen by the employee as he was in Castletown at the time, whilst working from home for the period. After seeking legal advice I declined upon request of the Board to step down as chairman with immediate effect, believing my ability as a Chairman or as a Commissioner had no relevance to the unfortunate incident mentioned above. 

‘A vote of no confidence was brought by Mr Cubbon, seconded by Mr Leather with unanimous support of the Board making the position as a commissioner untenable for me to continue, as a member of a team without support of board members. My political life has been dedicated to serving the people of Castletown and this decision has not come lightly. The unnecessary speculation and public humiliation has not only affected me personally but also members of my family. I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who voted for me in the recent election and all those who have supported me over the years.’

Staff member offers to help Commissioner, staff member gets bitten by Commissioner's dog, egotistical fellow Commissioner sees it as an opportunity to oust a rival.

Reading between the lines, I'd say that covers it.

Unless you want to make jokes about Carol Quine's growler.

They're a weird lot, Commissioners.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Staff member offers to help Commissioner, staff member gets bitten by Commissioner's dog, egotistical fellow Commissioner sees it as an opportunity to oust a rival.

Reading between the lines, I'd say that covers it.

As usual there seems to be more going on than at first sight, especially the staff member refusing to return to work following his injury after he 'volunteered' to administer the ear-drops.

(Also that building seems to always be being closed for maintenance.  What is going on?)

12 hours ago, rodders said:

Well she managed to stay on just long enough to be at the Governers swearing in party? 

She'd bought the hat and nothing on Earth would shift her.

The explanation about the closed office, the fact this was the place of choice of the employee (who was in Castletown while working from home) and that they had volunteered is very strange. 

Did either of them have authority to enter the premises to perform non-commissioners' work?

All very strange, but not out of the ordinary!

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

The explanation about the closed office, the fact this was the place of choice of the employee (who was in Castletown while working from home) and that they had volunteered is very strange. 

Did either of them have authority to enter the premises to perform non-commissioners' work?

All very strange, but not out of the ordinary!

I’d be interested to hear the employee’s view as to whether they ‘volunteered’ to help administer ear drops to the chair of the commissioners’ dog. Given the Chair held a position of authority, perhaps the employee felt obliged and that they couldn’t say no?

Years ago, I worked in an office and was asked by one of the directors to check on her house first thing in the morning and late at night for a fortnight when she was on holiday. It was clear it wasn’t going to be paid, it was outside of my normal hours and I was the single mum of a 1 year old so it was a massive pain in the arse. But I absolutely felt obliged to do it as she was my boss and could make life difficult for me if I had said no. I bet had anyone asked her, she would have said that I offered. Which I kind of did, having been manipulated into it and given no option but to ‘offer’.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, StrangeBrew said:

I’d be interested to hear the employee’s view as to whether they ‘volunteered’ to help administer ear drops to the chair of the commissioners’ dog. Given the Chair held a position of authority, perhaps the employee felt obliged and that they couldn’t say no?

Years ago, I worked in an office and was asked by one of the directors to check on her house first thing in the morning and late at night for a fortnight when she was on holiday. It was clear it wasn’t going to be paid, it was outside of my normal hours and I was the single mum of a 1 year old so it was a massive pain in the arse. But I absolutely felt obliged to do it as she was my boss and could make life difficult for me if I had said no. I bet had anyone asked her, she would have said that I offered. Which I kind of did, having been manipulated into it and given no option but to ‘offer’.

That kind of thing happens which is why boundaries are very important.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, StrangeBrew said:

What does "kind of did" mean? you either did or you did not.