New Speaker Election

Zarley

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Cregeen on LegCo is just a deranged fantasy of Robertshaw.  It's presumably to tide him over for a year or so till he hits 60 and qualifies for his Tynwald pension.  We have other social security systems for that - including the six months Tynwald pay he'll get for losing his seat.  I can't see 13 MHKs being daft enough to back him - or even four prepared to nominate him[1].  He only scraped in my accident next time - he won't be back.

[1]  Obviously this is assuming that they don't decide to change the method of electing MLCs yet again to something even sillier than it was the previous time.  I foresee something involving chicken entrails, the Promenade roundels and a giant tub of Vaseline.

I heard that drivel from Robertshaw on Election Night too, another MHK who was completely out of tune with the public, and who has a high opinion of himself.

Roger, I don’t share your confidence but I do hope you’re right!

17 minutes ago, Declan said:

Crookall jumped ship to Legco before the election, abandoning Peel to Boot and Harmer. 

……..and he did so with foresight that he was unlikely to be re-elected in Peel. I wonder if the MUA put short term memory loss chemicals in the drinking water on the run up to elections?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I was very disappointed that there were no other candidates for the Speakers role, was there even a vote to see if JW could command a majority in the house?.

Nope, no vote.

That's why I included the information about the three nominations for Acting Speaker. A five minute non-role as CT came here specifically to point out even though most people already knew. Is he normally prone to mansplaining?

Anyways... 

I thought it was funny (haha funny) that for the real job they only nominated one and didn't vote, but for the non-job they nominated three and had a vote. Seems a bit backward to me and I was quite surprised there weren't more noms. 

30 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I thought it was funny (haha funny) that for the real job they only nominated one and didn't vote, but for the non-job they nominated three and had a vote. Seems a bit backward to me and I was quite surprised there weren't more noms. 

Tactical perhaps? If elected as acting speaker, does that mean you can't be part of the vote for the actual speaker, as you're meant to be impartially overseeing that process?  Might be a way for sitting MHKs to ensure they don't get a speaker they don't want.

Only speculating of course.  I'd have thought that the vote for speaker could have been organised and overseen by a non-MHK - the clerk of Tynwald perhaps?

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

Tactical perhaps? If elected as acting speaker, does that mean you can't be part of the vote for the actual speaker, as you're meant to be impartially overseeing that process?  Might be a way for sitting MHKs to ensure they don't get a speaker they don't want.

Only speculating of course.  I'd have thought that the vote for speaker could have been organised and overseen by a non-MHK - the clerk of Tynwald perhaps?

Hmmm... you may be right about the tactical voting, not sure though if the acting speaker can't be nominated. Maybe CT could come back and enlighten us?

And yeah, I wondered why the guy who sorted out the noms and vote for AS didn't just cut out the middle man and do the speaker noms/vote himself? I think I recall him saying something to the effect that the AS is required by law and if so, what a silly law. 

2 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Hmmm... you may be right about the tactical voting, not sure though if the acting speaker can't be nominated. Maybe CT could come back and enlighten us?

And yeah, I wondered why the guy who sorted out the noms and vote for AS didn't just cut out the middle man and do the speaker noms/vote himself? I think I recall him saying something to the effect that the AS is required by law and if so, what a silly law. 

It's a bit silly in these circumstances (the rules specifically say there's not to be a vote if there's only one nomination) but if the election was contested you probably would need someone formally in the Chair.  The rules are fairly odd anyway because the voting papers have every MHK's name on them, presumably to cope with those MHKs too dim to know who the other 23 are. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zarley said:

AND there's a President of Tynwald on £73k pa available for this sort of thing. 

• Like 2