Willaston School

Gladys

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

A 12 year old is being interviewed by police!

Yes good to see that a bomb threat issued by a child was taken so seriously by the police to close the place down. How did they think a 12 year old had actually managed to make a functional explosive device? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maire said:

When i was growing up for a bomb threat to be taken seriously there needed to be certain phrases used...

If you took the call you needed to get

• Location of bomb
  • time of planned explosion
  • codeword
  • organisation 

these were then passed to the police,

Now it seems any youngster who wants to have a day off or piss people off just phones and says anything!! 

That was during the IRA's bombing campaign.  Not sure all the likely bombers have agreed codewords now.  In any case most of the terrorist bombings recently have not been preceded by a warning, I think.  Different MO now

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes good to see that a bomb threat issued by a child was taken so seriously by the police to close the place down. How did they think a 12 year old had actually managed to make a functional explosive device? 

Despite my criticism of the amount of information given out by the police, I don't criticise the actual action they took. They had little choice but to treat it as a real threat. 

Who knows how the threat was conveyed and what was said?  The fact that it seems to be by a child, doesn't mean it should be dismissed.  The child may have been directed by a terrorist faction or even a trained operative themselves.  I know that is highly unlikely, but not beyond possible.  Aren't there terrorist camps training children as young as 12? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Despite my criticism of the amount of information given out by the police, I don't criticise the actual action they took. They had little choice but to treat it as a real threat. 

Who knows how the threat was conveyed and what was said?  The fact that it seems to be by a child, doesn't mean it should be dismissed.  The child may have been directed by a terrorist faction or even a trained operative themselves.  I know that is highly unlikely, but not beyond possible.  Aren't there terrorist camps training children as young as 12? 

I think those camps are at Jurby, though, not Willaston

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

That was during the IRA's bombing campaign.  Not sure all the likely bombers have agreed codewords now.  In any case most of the terrorist bombings recently have not been preceded by a warning, I think.  Different MO now

Bombers in the olden days were so much more polite and helpful...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

You ever think that at the time they didn't know he was 12? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

with the internet a 5 year old could make a bomb

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

You ever think that at the time they didn't know he was 12? 

The voice was likely a give way. However I would like to know how they trace them nowadays though. Twenty five years ago you’d have called in a bomb hoax from a phone box but presumably some 12 year old idiot will have used their mobile phone which I’d have thought would be quite traceable for emergency services. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

The voice was likely a give way. However I would like to know how they trace them nowadays though. Twenty five years ago you’d have called in a bomb hoax from a phone box but presumably some 12 year old idiot will have used their mobile phone which I’d have thought would be quite traceable for emergency services. 

I doubt a twelve year old would know how to use a phone box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

Yes, the Tynpotwald Liberation Front - they train at Ardwhallin 😀

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m sure Manx Telecom and Sure have records of their SIM cards which are sold.