Manx Gas MEGA Price Rise

James Blonde

I really don’t know how that has popped up again.   When I referred to the screwing bit it was regarding standing charges which meant my friends on gas were cutting down on usage but bills were still going up, one friend found out she was on the wrong tariff had been for years and had been overcharged she has also not been given any rebate that was promised to gas customers last year and according to Facebook a lot of people are in the same boat or have received derisory amounts of a couple of pounds.  I agree that standing charges are part of parcel but should not exceed the usage amount on a normal consumers account who has been using gas not been away for long periods.

Economy of scale thing - at a presentation this week someone said that in the UK a mile of gas pipe might serve a million homes, whereas here it might only serve a few hundred.

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

As they’ve had regulated prices, for a very long time, I’m not sure how that can be alleged. And the amount they are allowed to profit has been reduced by 25% this year and looks to be reduced again. It’s like the steam packet and cheap fares. We all want, but infrastructure costs and replacement need profit for reinvestment.

Yes, we are all going to suffer. The poor the most. And support should be in place. But small markets are expensive because of the higher infrastructure costs per capita and the lack of economy of scale.

Im in Spain at present. We get our gas in 5 foot high gas bottles. We’ve 10 of them. Two banks of 5. Just had to switch over. Order 5 new. Last order was 6 October 2020. €379 today, €250 then. August 2019 €220.

And, despite huge amounts of solar and wind generation Spanish wholesale electric costs have gone through the roof. It’s only trickling through to domestic charging. But my tariff is set to double for the next bill. It’ll be more per unit than in IoM. And spain is a competitive market. I’ve swapped supplier.

I thought IOMG and the GMP forked out for the last lot of major infrastructure??

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Economy of scale thing - at a presentation this week someone said that in the UK a mile of gas pipe might serve a million homes, whereas here it might only serve a few hundred.

Plus how much the gas retailers are paying their supplier for the product?

5 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I really don’t know how that has popped up again.   When I referred to the screwing bit it was regarding standing charges which meant my friends on gas were cutting down on usage but bills were still going up, one friend found out she was on the wrong tariff had been for years and had been overcharged she has also not been given any rebate that was promised to gas customers last year and according to Facebook a lot of people are in the same boat or have received derisory amounts of a couple of pounds.  I agree that standing charges are part of parcel but should not exceed the usage amount on a normal consumers account who has been using gas not been away for long periods.

The refunds paid to customers were a regulatory adjustment on overpayment on ROCE since 01/01/21. They were nothing to do with the promise of a refund/repayment for 2020/2021. 

18 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

The refunds paid to customers were a regulatory adjustment on overpayment on ROCE since 01/01/21. They were nothing to do with the promise of a refund/repayment for 2020/2021. 

Bazza, I'm surprised you have gone so easy on Manx Gas. They have done you no favours over the years, wouldn't you prefer to see them nationalised and IEG gone for good? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

A million houses within a mile?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James Blonde said:

Bazza, I'm surprised you have gone so easy on Manx Gas. They have done you no favours over the years, wouldn't you prefer to see them nationalised and IEG gone for good? 

Gone easy? Is this a trick question? I've just started another petition to push for an investigation into promised refunds/rebates. 

Regarding the second part. Truthfully I don't know if it's actually possible or that easy. It would make sense in many ways to do that though considering the Government (us) own the greater and more technical part of the infrastructure. 

I don't share the same anger and resentment that many do. I sit in the middle, stir shit, wait for fallout and repeat. Only the Government hold the answer here. I just hope they do their homework. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Gone easy? Is this a trick question? I've just started another petition to push for an investigation into promised refunds/rebates. 

Regarding the second part. Truthfully I don't know if it's actually possible or that easy. It would make sense in many ways to do that though considering the Government (us) own the greater and more technical part of the infrastructure. 

I don't share the same anger and resentment that many do. I sit in the middle, stir shit, wait for fallout and repeat. Only the Government hold the answer here. I just hope they do their homework

I just hope they can take their heads out of their arses , and really fight for the gas customers . These greedy fuckers need a bloody nose , why should they be protected from making losses for a while?

Everyone else has been hit hard of late , yet these lot are crying for a 28% increase to guarantee they break even? 

Bollocks 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, floors4u said:

I just hope they can take their heads out of their arses , and really fight for the gas customers . These greedy fuckers need a bloody nose , why should they be protected from making losses for a while?

Everyone else has been hit hard of late , yet these lot are crying for a 28% increase to guarantee they break even? 

Bollocks 

To guarantee they continue to make a big fat profit more like.

1 hour ago, finlo said:

To guarantee they continue to make a big fat profit more like.

That's not what was explained to me. 27.5% is needed just for a break even point. Strangely enough however that an increase of 27.5% is calculated as far as I know for wholesale prices to be costing approximately 250p per therm. Days after the 27.5% increase was drafted up, wholesale price went up over 400p per therm. Luckily however the price has come down now to approximately 250p and is expected to stay about there for the short/mid term future.

The 27.5% increase is provisional. Provisional is a great word. It has so many possible meanings. I could argue it means the first of many more. Anything can happen to be honest. There are no winners here..

I am catching up with family next week. I am gutted I am not sitting in the Tynwald gallery for the debate. It would have been interesting to watch the elected leaders considering a 27.5% increase on the very people that put them in that position. 

Edited by Bazza Smurf
Spellcheck.
  • Like 2