Jump to content

Fc Isle of Man….who is paying for it?


Nomadic Raptor
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Did anyone watch the friendlies when I would hope they would try things or were they playing same way there?

Yes, I saw them get battered by Altrincham when they were over. 

The class really showed through from the higher level side. I mean it's not to say the local fellas were bad. Just not as good as Altrincham.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Yes, I saw them get battered by Altrincham when they were over. 

The class really showed through from the higher level side. I mean it's not to say the local fellas were bad. Just not as good as Altrincham.

There is a huge gulf in quality from where fc iom is and the conference. IF fc iom ever make it into the pro leagues it will be done with players not from the Island. I predict they will kick around these leagues for 3/4 years the interest will dwindle and the team will fold. Hope I am wrong but can't see it being long term

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My understanding of the friendlies is there was no change in style. This is my point, there's no plan b. 

No one's saying he should be be sacked. But despite what they achieved last season the football was never easy on the eye. 

The game has moved on at quite a pace over the last few years and it's much more continental in it's approach. There are still some, even in the likes of the second level of English football (can't think of any in the PL) who still play in this manner but they will generally not beat a team who play the modern game well. It does happen on occasion but it's becoming more the exception to the rule these days. 

Bass also seems to have a preference for tall physical players.

All of this is why I think they'll struggle this season. 

I don't know any of the other managers here on the Isle of Man and how they play to be honest so can't comment on whether anyone else would possibly do better. Also don't think the position is paid so would struggle to get anyone to come across and do it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jackwhite said:

My understanding of the friendlies is there was no change in style. This is my point, there's no plan b. 

No one's saying he should be be sacked. But despite what they achieved last season the football was never easy on the eye. 

The game has moved on at quite a pace over the last few years and it's much more continental in it's approach. There are still some, even in the likes of the second level of English football (can't think of any in the PL) who still play in this manner but they will generally not beat a team who play the modern game well. It does happen on occasion but it's becoming more the exception to the rule these days. 

Bass also seems to have a preference for tall physical players.

All of this is why I think they'll struggle this season. 

I don't know any of the other managers here on the Isle of Man and how they play to be honest so can't comment on whether anyone else would possibly do better. Also don't think the position is paid so would struggle to get anyone to come across and do it. 

The Isle of Man's answer to Big Sam Allardyce. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2022 at 2:16 PM, jackwhite said:

My understanding of the friendlies is there was no change in style. This is my point, there's no plan b. 

No one's saying he should be be sacked. But despite what they achieved last season the football was never easy on the eye. 

The game has moved on at quite a pace over the last few years and it's much more continental in it's approach. There are still some, even in the likes of the second level of English football (can't think of any in the PL) who still play in this manner but they will generally not beat a team who play the modern game well. It does happen on occasion but it's becoming more the exception to the rule these days. 

Bass also seems to have a preference for tall physical players.

All of this is why I think they'll struggle this season. 

I don't know any of the other managers here on the Isle of Man and how they play to be honest so can't comment on whether anyone else would possibly do better. Also don't think the position is paid so would struggle to get anyone to come across and do it. 

You've hit the nail on the head here. 

The only option is to train the kids better and get them incorporated in the team.

The current FA COE system is not fit for purpose and is foremost a money making scheme for the FA.

The under 21s training that's in the pipeline will help. But will it help enough?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, keith lard said:

Good win that without a recognised "big man".

 

....and their captain and a number of key players.

That said the team they beat finished second bottom last season. The team that they lost to on Saturday finished 3rd bottom. 

Maybe they need to switch up the team a bit then taking this result into consideration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure they can mix it up? Doyle, Davies, Murray and Kelly are a great 4 when available. 

The worry is the midfield being severely wakened when Camarda,  Crook, Baines and Batty are all away and looks very weak. 

21 hours ago, Declan said:

Won 2-1 away tonight. 

Good win that without a recognised "big man".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2022 at 1:53 PM, thommo2010 said:

There is a huge gulf in quality from where fc iom is and the conference. IF fc iom ever make it into the pro leagues it will be done with players not from the Island. I predict they will kick around these leagues for 3/4 years the interest will dwindle and the team will fold. Hope I am wrong but can't see it being long term

I'd imagine foreign players will be introduced slowly over a few seasons, and there's no reason why 3 or 4 manx players couldn't play at conference / league 2 level. 

I do agree they play quite direct football, but you have to play to your strengths. I watch a bit of league 1 football, and still plenty of teams playing direct football successfully.

Jersey have shown the model can work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, winnie said:

I'd imagine foreign players will be introduced slowly over a few seasons, and there's no reason why 3 or 4 manx players couldn't play at conference / league 2 level. 

I do agree they play quite direct football, but you have to play to your strengths. I watch a bit of league 1 football, and still plenty of teams playing direct football successfully.

Jersey have shown the model can work

Can't see there being any 'foreign players' until they were quite high up. They need 5 consecutive promotions to even get to conference level.

Do think there's a glass ceiling for them unless the standard of player here improves dramatically or they are perhaps able to get some of the Manx players who are at any sort of league level once they become available. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Can't see there being any 'foreign players' until they were quite high up. They need 5 consecutive promotions to even get to conference level.

 

which is achievable under a very good manager. Bass has been good up until now but if FC IOM want to keep progressing they are going to have to face some hard truths

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

which is achievable under a very good manager. Bass has been good up until now but if FC IOM want to keep progressing they are going to have to face some hard truths

Is there anyone else on island who'd be better? Genuine question as I don't know.

Stated it before but I don't see someone coming from off island as I don't think it's a paid position. Even if it is I don't imagine it's much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a very good question. 

I think there's people capable of motivating these lads and coaching a better style of play.

Finding someone who's work will enable them to attend the 2 6am starts and Saturdays and midweek games away mean Bass is the only 1 able to do it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2022 at 7:42 PM, keith lard said:

The worry is the midfield being severely wakened when Camarda,  Crook, Baines and Batty are all away and looks very weak. 

Don't they have offices in Athol Street?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...