Which is worse, BO or bad perfume?

Barlow

Sorry for the seemingly random thought, but last night at an event there was a woman nearby with an overwhelming stench of horrible perfume. It was invasive and disgusting. Smelt like rotting straw. (It's a perfume I have come across before).

To be fair, when there was smoking in public places there was never this problem.

There, that's my Sunday morning grump out of the way.

Years ago I worked alongside a person with a cervix who had the unfortunate affliction of 'Fish Odour Syndrome.'

https://pmj.bmj.com/content/75/886/451

Their attempts to manage a flare-up by masking the odour with liberal applications of perfume just made the whole situation worse.

In the end, the boss approached a company which manufactured artificial odours like coffee and fresh bread, used supermarkets and shops. Once the essence of parsley sauce was wafting through the AC the problem was solved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Barlow said:

Sorry for the seemingly random thought, but last night at an event there was a woman nearby with an overwhelming stench of horrible perfume. It was invasive and disgusting. Smelt like rotting straw. (It's a perfume I have come across before).

Difficult one, I hate most of the perfumes that my missus wears for example, but she does get compliments from other women. Personally I prefer a sweet smelling perfume whereas she prefers the strong smelling flowery/old granny type.  That said I’d rather smell any strong perfume than BO.

18 hours ago, quilp said:

Years ago I worked alongside a person with a cervix who had the unfortunate affliction of 'Fish Odour Syndrome.'

https://pmj.bmj.com/content/75/886/451

Their attempts to manage a flare-up by masking the odour with liberal applications of perfume just made the whole situation worse.

Might be going a bit OTT now but on the same subject I do think that’s why some women absolutely douse themselves in perfume, either time of the month or an infected smelling axe wound.

Both equally bad.

At Uni there was a student who seemed to wear the same single set of clothes all term. Don’t think he washed, himself or his clothes. We used to exit the lift if he got on. The stake BO was unbearable.

On the other hand there are some terrible perfumes EDT and deodorants.

Very occasionally I may pass or meet a woman with a particular and distinctively wonderful smelling perfume. I have always wanted to know what it is. Unfortunately I had never been in the situation to ask what the perfume was, as it would not be appropriate to ask such a question - such as a business meeting, or on a number of occasions, passing someone in the street. One day I was in a situation where I thought to hell with it, I'm going to ask, 'cos I need to know. The reply was "I don't wear perfume".

ETA: @quilpyour first gag was literally a coffee over the keyboard. The second, erm, not quite so!

Edited by Barlow

BO is worse. There’s a young lad works in the local coop and when you go in the whole shop smells of him. It’s bloody awful.

Years ago I worked with a woman who also permanently stank. All the usual passive aggressive comments fell on deaf ears and so being the tactful soul that I am, the job was given to me directly. In the end I just handed her a spray deodorant and said, “Use this, you stink.”

Sometimes there’s no other way to do it.

I use neither perfume or deodorant. I prefer natural. However, I am a fan of soap and water. 

Used to work with a guy like that. People refused to sit near him in the office. He had a corner all to himself. It wasn’t just a smell, you actually couldn’t breathe when he was close. I used to gag. I suspect he wet the bed every night and never washed. He was told multiple times but just didn’t care. During the xmas party he was in a toilet cubicle. Someone filled a bucket of water and poured it on him while he dumping. First shower in years.

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2021 at 11:18 AM, Barlow said:

To be fair, when there was smoking in public places there was never this problem.

Yes, I first noticed this just after the smoking ban was introduced in Ireland. The whole pub had a variety of body odours wafting around that I had never experienced when everyone smoked.