Comin Class of 2021

James Blonde

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

The main two issues people appear to have re appointments are Treasury and DOI. Who exactly are the realistic alternatives? Hooper is possibly the only one I can think of for Treasury but then who would replace at health? Past record of LVP leaders/members is also that they don't tend to stay as Ministers for that long.

It is all very well and easy to comment that X should not have been appointed but much harder to then actually say who should have been. 

Best for Heath minister would probably have been Dr Allinson IMO.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Tim Crookall - after slight hesitation - “Do you think you’ll do a better job than your predecessor in DOI?” - “Yes.” 😊

I think the question was too complicated so rather than hesitate further while he thought it out, he went for 'yes'

If I had just been made a MHK and offered DOI theres only one way I'd accept . There would have to be a management cull and CEO out the door first and a promise of continued support from CM. CS . and AG before i'd agree . There is no way its ever operating as it should unless that happens. And we all know thats not happening. More of the same it will be sadly. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I’m a bit confused, is AC creating new boards and committees for MHKs to keep them in the big tent, or to give them a pay rise on top Chris Thomas heading a Housing Board, sound like another talking shop. 

Couldn’t help but laugh, Hooperman in the DHSC. Comical is the word, will be Beecroft re-visited. There was a time when the LibLabVanMan Party would refuse a role, until Peter Karran got Education and Beecroft got DHSC. Needless to say both ended in tears and recriminations. Will the appointment of Hooperman be any different? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, James Blonde said:

Meet the team 

Ashford already taking sombre to a new level there. Hopefully Amazon got him his copy of economics for dummies on time so he can read it over the weekend and pretend to be John Maynard Keynes by about Thursday. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, James Blonde said:

I think perhaps JPW in Treasury could have been an option. 

I don't think there was a great deal of choice. The forgone conclusion was Callister but when you look at it in the cold light of day it needed someone with a bit more experience - although Crookall didn't set the world alight (unlike former DOI minsters have been known to) he did serve as Education Minister between 2012 and 2016 so has some ministerial experience. 

At best it will be a caretaking role while Tynwald and Comin (hopefully) set about dismantling the DOI empire. 

The issues with DOI can never be solved by just one Minister in isolation - it needs a pan-Government approach with some bits transferred to other departments (heritage railways need bundling with tourism and MNH in Starship Enterprise). Public sector housing needs transferring into an all-island housing authority. Highways needs hiving off into a kind of 'Highways England' agency. Ports should sit as their own agency. 

I suspect that Allinson to DfE will be to help push forward cannabis licensing. 

James, were you in a shebeen under the influence of Cannabis when you implied that Crookall could have been an option for Treasury, based on his ineffective spell in Education? Don’t forget that prior to Education (which he lacks) he was the Minister of DCCL, and along with Black bought the ‘Cabbage’, then Bell replaced him with his mate Cregeen.

Despite his confidence (or arrogance), he will be simply another victim of this out of control department. He is blagging at the moment, he will be winging it for a few months and lording it up, and then he will be found wanting, which is why Bell moved him to education 9 yrs ago. Experience is only useful if you learn from it, he will fail without doubt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Ashford already taking sombre to a new level there. Hopefully Amazon got him his copy of economics for dummies on time so he can read it over the weekend and pretend to be John Maynard Keynes by about Thursday. 

What is Ashford's standard of education?

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Best for Heath minister would probably have been Dr Allinson IMO.

Couldn't disagree more.

A ministers job is not to know about the area they are looking after.  A bit of knowledge of a certain area that could cloud their judgement or influence decision would be dangerous.  You need people with no axe to grind or preconceptions.

Likewise a teacher as DESC minister etc.  An awful idea

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

What is Ashford's standard of education?

Is that relevant in 2021?  Not everyone had the opportunity to go to uni and we should be looking at what people have achieved in life rather than how well off their parents were.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Is that relevant in 2021?  Not everyone had the opportunity to go to uni and we should be looking at what people have achieved in life rather than how well off their parents were.

Well a lot of our politicos are from well to do stock, and all well connected families, some from the scions of Manx Political Dynasties. I’m sure some of our well pampered MHK have had a leg up, or been well connected to get that all important position, it’s who you know not what you know. No all the newbie MHKs like that of course. 

I think it is relevant whether someone has been to University or not. Granted some have achieved lots in life through hard graft and determination. Some have set up businesses, and some have been successful or some have failed. If it’s failed it’s how you have reacted afterwards, you may have gone on and created a success story. I think it’s about setting an example, a role model to future generations, someone to aspire to.

Edited by 2112

6 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

His achievements call into question his education/qualifications for Treasury.  He doesn't have to be an accountant, economist or hold a tax practitioner's qualification, but he is going to have to have some understanding of the functions and factors applying.  I suppose the saving grace is that there will be those who understand those things in Treasury and who can advise him.  The best we can hope for is that he takes that advice, shows some humility and doesn't decide that his own research informs him better.

Oh, and isn’t given the key to the shredder room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2