The "Good Samaritan Law"

Steve Ball

1 hour ago, Steve Ball said:
Does the Isle of Man have a "Good Samaritan law" ?, as just been looking on-line, and the law seems to vary from Country to Country.

In the common law of England and Wales there is no criminal liability for failing to act in the event of another person being in danger.

However, in many countries the law requires anyone to assist a person in danger or at the very least call for help.

In Germany, and the USA, failure to provide first aid to a person in need is punishable by law.

Where does the Isle of Man stand in this law ?

No, we don’t have a Good Samaritan law

8 minutes ago, Steve Ball said:

So, if i come upon a car crash victim, or someone has been stabbed, or a dog ran over, and if i give first aid, and it goes wrong / i make a mistake, am i personally responsable, can i be sued in court, or am i better just looking the other way, and driving on ?

That’s a different concept. Different law. You asked about whether you were obliged to render aid.

If you want legal advice I charge £300 an hour.

But, the general rule is that if you take on the role of rescuer you assume a duty of care to do the job competently.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

If you want legal advice I charge £300 an hour.

This is a market which definitely needs opening up to proper competition. Prices on the IOM are much higher than in the UK. Whilst most other professional wages are lower.

Edited by pongo

19 hours ago, pongo said:

This is a market which definitely needs opening up to proper competition. Prices on the IOM are much higher than in the UK. Whilst most other professional wages are lower.

They're not much lower. Remember you get what you pay for

19 hours ago, pongo said:

It’s not wages. It has to cover Law Society membership, Professional Indemnity Insurance, rent, staff wages, office overheads ( library, physical and on line subs ) IT soft and hardware and maintenance, heat, light, power. It has to cover tax and NI and pension contributions before there’s any spends.

With 300+ lawyers in practice there’s plenty of competition.

Most of my work is at £135 and my tribunal work at £89.50.

However, I reserve the right to do private work, and will quote a rate appropriate for the job, based on my expertise, the complexity, money involved, and the means of the client. And occasionally I’m asked to do things by people who want me to advise for free or want me to do something I don’t really want to. I can be persuaded to swallow my pride at an appropriately insulting hourly rate.

Meanwhile I do lots of free/pro Bono/charity/public interest work in my own time.

On 10/16/2021 at 2:32 PM, Steve Ball said:
Does the Isle of Man have a "Good Samaritan law" ?,

There is an interesting paper here https://www.resus.org.uk/sites/default/files/2020-05/CPR AEDs and the law (5).pdf issued by the resuscitation council in the UK which looks at the position of someone giving assistance in prescribed circumstances under UK law.