IOM Childrens Champion

Unfortunately whatever tools they are given to their armoury, new legislation and regulations, politicos will find fault and moan. If Daphne Caine got what she demanded, and god forbade there was another scenario which resulted in the death of a young person, will the politicos hold their hands up and perhaps take responsibility, and if deemed at fault resign? 

19 minutes ago, 2bees said:

So what do the Department of Education (or whatever their spunky new name is) do? 

19 minutes ago, 2bees said:

So what do the Department of Education (or whatever their spunky new name is) do? 

The Children's champ could try to protect kids from the DESC who insist on inappropriate exams over the schools' heads, bugger about parents who choose to home school, provide shockingly poor services for young people with additional needs, no proper facilities for really disruptive pupils so everyone else suffers, and general underfunding because they'd rather suck up to the Thatcherite treasury than stand up to them. But a champ would have no chance, so forget it.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

The Children's champ could try to protect kids from the DESC who insist on inappropriate exams over the schools' heads, bugger about parents who choose to home school, provide shockingly poor services for young people with additional needs, no proper facilities for really disruptive pupils so everyone else suffers, and general underfunding because they'd rather suck up to the Thatcherite treasury than stand up to them. But a champ would have no chance, so forget it.

So surely the priority would be to make the Dept of Education fit for purpose and get it to work more closely with the Dept of Social Care so we don't need a 'Children's Champion'. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Danoo said:

So surely the priority would be to make the Dept of Education fit for purpose and get it to work more closely with the Dept of Social Care so we don't need a 'Children's Champion'. 

People are also don’t realise the Department of Home Affairs & Justice involvement - youth offending, punishment, probation, social workers, young offenders institution etc etc. I could mention about the recent crime wave in Onchan involving youngsters, and the sad demise of a lady due to anti social behaviour of a youngster. The Isle of Man and it’s Politicians, Civil Servants and Inter Department relationships, don’t like working together - infighting, empire building, data protection nonsense, rules and regulations and registers.

What has been any follow up action by the current Childrens Champion? if the politicos aren’t careful their spouting, demanding and tireless rhetoric for new functions will have results for the post holder, should they are found to be at fault - but there again on the Isle of Man no politician will ever take responsibility for their actions, and resigning. They are merely switched to another ministerial role, do they can screw that up as well.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

Not to mention the huge number of 'looked after' children who are 80% more likely to be sent home or suspended from education.

Joney Faragher would be perfect for this role - but at the same time I wouldn't wish it on her - for all the reasons stated in this thread. And that's not good - for us or for disadvantaged children.

• Like 1

The system we have here really don’t care. I have a friend who’s husband had a work accident where they fell quite a drop and smashed their leg , where it needed a few ops and his leg full of pins. He was given a cocktail of drugs  for pain including opioids where the drs didn’t seem to reduce the amount and it was making him addicted and he needed help. His wife tried to get him help and failed. Until he wanted to Kill himself and they listened and had to go into mannann court for over a month to get him of the pain killers. Social services straight away got involved and safe guarded the wife and child. Telling her if she went back with her husband they would go to court to take the child awayif they had one argument.Fearing that she didn’t and once the husband got out of the clinic he went and lived in a room in a shared house. The mother was told that she should let the child sleep over at the husbands and she asked who lived in the house have they been vetted and there reply was no and they couldn’t but the child was to go there. Obviously she didn’t let the child go. It broke the family apart because he had an accident and duty of care over his pain relief wasn’t met . When we see children end up in care we always think the worst and it can be the slightest thing. This I don’t understand because if a sexual predator does something the courts just give them a slapped wrist. It would be a real eye opener to find out just how many families this has happened too over here. There is a real big problem with prescription drugs where many I bet can’t even look after themselves never mind their children . There just seems the drs throw them out and no duty of care is given . 

Edited by Manx17
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Manx17 said:

The system we have here really don’t care. I have a friend who’s husband had a work accident where they fell quite a drop and smashed their leg , where it needed a few ops and his leg full of pins. He was given a cocktail of drugs  for pain including opioids where the drs didn’t seem to reduce the amount and it was making him addicted and he needed help. His wife tried to get him help and failed. Until he wanted to Kill himself and they listened and had to go into mannann court for over a month to get him of the pain killers. Social services straight away got involved and safe guarded the wife and child. Telling her if she went back with her husband they would go to court to take the child awayif they had one argument.Fearing that she didn’t and once the husband got out of the clinic he went and lived in a room in a shared house. The mother was told that she should let the child sleep over at the husbands and she asked who lived in the house have they been vetted and there reply was no and they couldn’t but the child was to go there. Obviously she didn’t let the child go. It broke the family apart because he had an accident and duty of care over his pain relief wasn’t met . When we see children end up in care we always think the worst and it can be the slightest thing. This I don’t understand because if a sexual predator does something the courts just give them a slapped wrist. It would be a real eye opener to find out just how many families this has happened too over here. There is a real big problem with prescription drugs where many I bet can’t even look after themselves never mind their children . There just seems the drs throw them out and no duty of care is given . 

And the Mental Health service is the worst for dishing out drugs. One CMHN claimed I wouldn't accept help from the service . What you mean by that I asked ? You wont take the drugs we prescribe . No I wont as its shutting down my body and mind and I need to work out whats triggering my issues. So your saying meds are the only thing you can offer me by saying that. Yes , thats all the service can provide unless your suicidal. Thanks and goodbye . I'm in a good place now 4 years on thanks to a few friends and my own efforts . But how many out there aren't after succumbing to only option being meds. ? 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

And the Mental Health service is the worst for dishing out drugs. One CMHN claimed I wouldn't accept help from the service . What you mean by that I asked ? You wont take the drugs we prescribe . No I wont as its shutting down my body and mind and I need to work out whats triggering my issues. So your saying meds are the only thing you can offer me by saying that. Yes , thats all the service can provide unless your suicidal. Thanks and goodbye . I'm in a good place now 4 years on thanks to a few friends and my own efforts . But how many out there aren't after succumbing to only option being meds. ? 

I’m glad and good for you for not taking them , and hope you feel great not taking any. I mean it’s ok if medicine helps a person . But the guy I wrote about was on Oxycodone pregablen tramodol and his wife looked them all up and they are highly addictive and cause joint pain so the more pain he was in the more he was taking. When his wife tried to put his doses down to get him off it his doctor said give it to him as he needs it and when he needed help there was none A and E even turned him away. Until he was on the verge of killing himself. Once in mannan court they did tests on him and they said he was psychopathic. Once of the drugs he said I broke my leg had to go to Liverpool to save it  needing 3 operations put on pain killers and came out psychopathic . They apologised, he wasn’t psychopathic. But I can imagine what drugs they would of given him if he went along with them. 
what was worrying as well they safe guarded the wife and child because with all the drugs in his system. But the child was ok to go to a house full of men  unchecked. 

• Like 1